SCOUTER-Terry

Decorum And Acting Scoutlike

I hesitate to respond to any of this, but I suspect there are some out there who have joined the forum fairly recently who are scratching their heads about what is going on in this thread.  I therefore feel compelled (perhaps foolishly) to offer some explanation.  I am trying to word this as neutrally as possible.

This thread, and the two posts in this thready by @SCOUTER-Terry, the owner of Scouter.com, were a response to the reaction of some in this forum to the decision by the BSA in 2015 to end the exclusion of leaders on the basis of sexual orientation, except for CO's that are religious institutions whose values dictate otherwise.  During that time, there were certain posts that the moderators (of which I was and am one) viewed as unacceptable for this forum - some with photos and other graphic graphics - and we took the actions that we felt were appropriate.  A few of the posts were, quite frankly, disgusting. There were those in this forum who disagreed with certain actions by some of the moderators, and said so.  Some disagreed very strongly, and there was a certain amount of (in my view) "bashing" of the moderators.  Of course, those doing the "bashing" felt that it was fully justified.  Things got pretty heated.  One person ended up getting himself banned.  A couple of others left in a huff.  (In light of EagleDad's comments above, I feel compelled to mention that he always stated his views in a gentlemanly way.  But some others did not.) 

Into this scene strides the owner of this forum. Terry's first post in this thread clarifies what is acceptable on the subject and what isn't.  The second, in response to further complaints about the moderators, basically says hey, lay off the moderators, and if you want to complain, complain to me (Terry), not in the forum.  I personally appreciated his comments.  Nobody was being prevented from expressing their opinion in a Scoutlike way.

If anyone really wants to see the background of what I am talking about, I would suggest first reading this thread from the beginning, and then, for those who really have time to kill and are not of faint heart, read the threads in the "Issues and Politics" section from, say, the second week of July to the first week of August, 2015.  You will not see the "worst" few posts, because they were deleted.  But some of what is there is still bad enough.

All of which, among other things, led a significant number of people (not including me) to feel that the Issues and Politics section should not be here at all, but here it remains.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Well, I for one am always grateful to those who are generous enough with their time to help guide and tame the discussions that go on here, and compared to some other forums I have been a part of, I have found the conversations here to be predominantly civil and considerate. Thank you, moderators, for all that you do to provide a safe place for learning and discussion. I know I have benefited HUGELY from it as I have used this forum to expand my understanding of Scouting and connected with people of similar purpose!

• Like 1

I have to mimic The Latin Scot's comments, this forum is predominantly civil and considerate. It's members manage to disagree (to a large extent) with civility and compassion. When they do fail, it's usually in minor ways and often apologies are given. Unlike so many other forums that quickly devolve into hateful shouting.

I have said this before, there are people on this forum that I sometimes strongly disagree with, but everyone of them are people that I would be honored to call friend and would gladly share their company around the campfire (with one exception that hasn't posted in a long time). Because from their many posts here, I see how they are good people that really care about scouting and the boys (and girls). We all want what is best, it's just sometime we disagree on what that is, or how to get there.

• Like 1