Decorum And Acting Scoutlike

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The volunteer moderators of this forum do cheerful service, usually just keeping SCOUTER.com organized and enjoyable.    The policy and standard of decorum for participation here has always included

@seguru, welcome to the forum? Anyway, nobody said you can't express your opinion. But if you're not courteous then we will remove posts. Those are the rules. 

As I promised Sentinel, I took time off and took a hike.  While I'm back I'll take this time to apologize to BDPT00 and the forums in general for 'going off' the way I did. Stosh was right, I should

Thank you for the hard work you've put into this forum, and thanks also for providing the issues and politics campfire where we can discuss things with a bit more candor (much like after hours campfires at camp).

I too will jump on the bandwagon and thank the moderators for the great job they do and I'll take it one step futher and thank all the posters on these forums for a sometimes funny, sometimes challenging and always entertaining set of conversations.

Terry, I agree with 99% of what you said and what you and the moderators do for this forum and scouting. Without the help I've found on this forum I would have given up on scouting a long time ago - and I'm not done needing help. I also agree that acting scout like is paramount. That said, I'd like to hold your feet to the flame to a much higher standard than anyone else here is held to. Most likely I just want to make a point and picking on you is the best chance I have to do that. Please let me explain. Your post comment "(or start one of your own!)" reflects what was said a lot to those people that wanted a change in the membership policy. That comment was always said with a bit of my way or the highway, take it or leave it, I could care less about what you want attitude. I've never thought it to be scout like. Yes, you said up front that you respect the religious differences of everyone here, and yes, your point that you won't tolerate the denigration of gay scouts is also admirable. However, that phrase doesn't help and right now we need to figure out how to help each other.

We need to help each other against the extremes that will never be happy with what the BSA is doing. We also need to keep helping each other learn about scouting. We have a wide range of expertise here and the last thing I'd like to see is a big chunk of that leaving over this issue. Some will. But hopefully many will stay. I would very much like to invite them to my campfire.

This forum reminds me of my extended family and how sometimes it's more important to tolerate your father-in-law than confront him. It made me better in the long run, even if it took nearly 30 years!

Thanks again for what all y'all on this forum do (All y'all is Southern for "every single one of the many" :))

• Administrators

@@MattR, fair enough... Though my comment was meant more to align with the wonderful news that soon all families will be able to find or start a Scout troop and join the Movement.

This here little website may have been around since November of 1995 (20 year celebration needs to start planning soon!), but folks can easily walk across the Internet tubes and launch their own.

Happy weekend to y'all.

Thanks Matt and well said. I have been  here a long time and feel I have contributed a lot, as well as have a lot more to contribute. But I have also never felt less welcome to the forum than in the last couple of weeks. 

Barry

• Upvote 3

Thanks Matt and well said. I have been  here a long time and feel I have contributed a lot, as well as have a lot more to contribute. But I have also never felt less welcome to the forum than in the last couple of weeks. 

Barry

I'd have to agree. And some of the comments (or threats) by those who moderate/own the site do not help either...nor are they in the spirit of this thread title...ironically.

• Upvote 1

Barry

I'm sorry you feel unwelcome. You contribute much to this forum, and it would be a lesser place without you. I have learned so much from everyone on this forum (and hopefully will continue to do so).

On thing that has always been clear to me, is that we all love scouting and are passionate about it. And because of that, we often bring lots of passion to our discussions. I agree that we need to try and stay scout-like in our debates, even when the topic is something that stirs strong emotion in us. We can disagree passionately, but can remain civil. That is something I have always tried to do (with mixed success). I often find our I&P debates very useful. When my opinions are challenged, it forces me to clarify them and to think more deeply about them. These discussions exposed me to new ideas or points of view that I might not have considered before. It makes me a better, more thoughtful person and scouter (and I hope that my meager contributions help others).

And while there are frequent posters here that I disagree with on some topics (and some that I very strongly disagree with), there isn't a single one that hasn't impressed me with their dedication and love for scouting. Who isn't striving to do the best he or she can for their scouts and scouting. I can't think of a single one of you that I wouldn't want to meet at a real campfire, so I would be able to shake your hand and say "thank you friend".

• Like 1

I can't think of a single one of you that I wouldn't want to meet at a real campfire, so I would be able to shake your hand and say "thank you friend".

Likewise, though I doubt we'd recognize half of each other. ;)

• Upvote 1