Open Discussion - Program

Share Scouting Topics here.

Subforums

1. Scouts with Disabilities

Where parents and scouters go to discuss unique aspects to working with kids with special challenges.

A place to chat about Scouting's biggest gathering

9161 topics in this forum

• 16 replies
  1. Scoutmaster's Key

• 2 replies
    • 1 reply
  2. twilight camp

• 0 replies
  3. info

• 1 reply
    • 2 replies
    • 1 reply
    • 3 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 21 replies
    • 20 replies
  4. Council Maps

• 1 reply
  5. Older Eagles

• 2 replies
  6. Done it before?

• 4 replies
    • 7 replies
  • LATEST POSTS

• I love this hat.  I have the same one since the early 1990's.  Yes, it is hot in the summer.  Also, it bleeds some color when it gets wet or sweaty.  So, mine is a little faded and sun-bleached. As a first time Scoutmaster in the 90's, I bought this hat for each Scout when he reached First Class.  Troop funds paid for his First Class pin.  They loved them. This was also the time when Scoutmasters could let a Patrol camp without adults.  My standard was, a Scout had to reach First Class before he could go on such a camping trip.  They worked hard for that rank, and wore those hats proudly on their adult-less overnighters! In 2016, I met one of those Scouts at Philmont.  He was a Scoutmaster with a crew from his Troop there, and was wearing his same hat from his time as a youth! Current Troop is not so much into hats...  
    • I don't think it is necessarily a matter of permissiveness.  Many conservatively minded people and groups, in those days, had opinions and attitudes that would not seem acceptable today.  My parents would have expressed disappointment if I was embarrassed by my own nudity.  They felt that boys should grow up "confident".  Insecurity and vulnerability were not considered to be positive male traits in my community.  The girls were expected to be modest.  Not the boys.  
    • Also, I appreciate your sympathy. Yes, I have been in therapy and various treatment modalities for about 20 years. Things went south when our oldest son asked to join Scouts.
    • You're welcome. I sincerely hope neither my comments nor presence will inhibit the conversation. If so, I apologize. 
    • @ThenNow, I understand what you’re saying.  Something serious, sexually, happened to you as a youth member.     I was lucky.  My Pack, Troop and Post were led by good people, and my parents were involved.  I can only have sorrow for your experience. As for your personal pain, I pray you are or were in counseling to help it.  In my own life pains (wholly different from sexual abuse) my doc has helped me.    thank you for opening up. 
  • Who's Online (See full list)