Is On Line Training Available?

As a frequent business traveler I barely got my basic training in, with the old curriclum, does anybody know if the new curriculum may be done online? Is there a need? Seems like lots of folks dont have the training availible and online training would have the advantage of consistency but the disadvantage of lack of fellowship, what do you think?

On Line training can be very effective. Of course, some topics lend themselves better to one format than others, but at a minimum, the fast start videos could be redone with an on-line version. Also, some quizes could be incorporated to get immediate feedback on the effectiveness of the training.

Of course some things could never be done online as well, but for those areas that could, it could save time, money and increase the number of trained volunteers.

YIS

Quixote

• 10 months later...

Well, folks, you were about a year ahead of your time.

Fast Start for Cub Scouting and Boy Scouting are available on-line. Youth Protection training is also available. There are (and if there ain't, there ought to be) links on your council's web site that will lead you to the national web site and the training.

I haven't taken the on-line version of Fast Start, but I did go through the YPT stuff.

Youth Protection on-line works like this:

You hit the council link and it takes you to the national training. You read stuff, click stuff and take periodic quizzes. I did it in about an hour, but I was interrupted several times. It also has sound, but I don't have speakers at my computer in the office (we're not a wealthy council.) At the conclusion of the training, I entered my personal information. That information was sent to my registrar through Scoutnet. Once my registration was verified, I was automatically emailed a training certificate.

I think it's better to go through the live version, but on-line is a great substitute to help reach everyone.

DS

Council Web Site ??

Links ??

I think we may need to send a great many of our (Well mine, anyway !!) Scout Execs. Back to a PDL Training for the 21st Century.

Our poor little fellow, has mastered E-mail, lets the office staff try and work out Scoutnet, thinks Bill Gates is a talk show host on PBS,and a Mac, is a great thing to take on the golf course.

On Line Training,will I feel sure be a tool that we all will in time get used to, and is a must for the X -Generation. However I do think that the powers that be, will need to offer help and guidance, and maybe set some sort of a standard, for Council Web Sites.

Who knows in time our poor little Scout Exec, will graduate to playing the odd game of solitaire.

This could be something that might /ought to be covered at the next Top Hands Meeting ??

My council just recently posted the links for online training - I've done both Fast Start for Cub Scouts (it comes in many different flavors, from Tiger Den Leader to Committee Member and lots in between) and the Youth Protection Training. Our Committee Chair was very excited to hear that YPT is online now as we've had a hard time getting people to do it because of the time required. I thought that both were very useful. If your council doesn't have it, ask them to look into it! :)

I've been through lots of training and have thought that many of the classroom sessions could be accomplished via on line training but training is my profession and I firmly believe in this format. Especially if your are attempting to train a mass number of people. In my professional opinion all the courses from fast start to new leader essentials could be delt with in this manner. The outdoor training will still need to be conducted in person as the skills instructions can't be done on line. However, a section on the skills can be incorporated in the content presented with demo's so that the student will have an idea of what is to be tested at the skills stations.