Well, since everyone was in the mood to say so long, I feel that I should too. I recently resigned my ASM position after a short tenure, because of a Program that seems to conflict with my ideals. May be I am too much of the "by the book type."

After a brief chat on the chat room, I realized that it may just be me. Rereading some of my posts and the responses on this forum, I think that my BSA ideals are not at all common to most scouters' view. I think that I am too idealistics, I am too inexperience, and that I don't have much to contribute any more to this forum nor to the troop. My ideals will collide with others who are working hard for the kids.

I just want to thank all who have provided me great ideas and advices (the likes of Bob White, Barry, Dan, Scoutmom, dsteele, ...). I now fall back into my normal family life, no more committee meetings, no more district meetings, no more round tables, no more summer camps, no more monthly camps, no more spending hours reading Scouter.com, no more 1 hour, ....

Don't get me wrong. I will still support my sons and their pursuit of Eagles when they need me, but only as a parent. My wife is happily awaiting for me to stop being a kid! Cheers and best wishes.

Yours in scouting always,

1Hour(This message has been edited by OneHour)

Pardon me for asking, but what part of the "Program" conflicted with your ideals?

Good luck in your "retirement." I must admit that I find it vexing that you would encourage your sons to stay with a program that conflicts with your ideals.

acco,

From onehour's comment of beeing "too" by the book, I have a feeling that the conflict isn't a disagreement with true Scouting ideals as much as it is a disagreement with Scouters who run the program the way they want to.

How about it onehour, is that the case? Don't take this the wrong way, but have you decided to give up because you were catching heat from other Scouters or you were tired of being labeled as a stick in the mud? There is nothing wrong with expecting the program to be run by the book. In fact, when our charter is renewed annually, that is what we are promising to do......deliver the program as it is provided. Now, I can understand if you are being ostracized and belittled by others for expecting quality that it could get you down to the point of "giving up". Could you please elaborate a little for us what made you decide to totally walk away?

I say this with a humble heart and as a Scouter friend and mean no offense at all, but what message does it send to your son's to walk away when the going gets tough? I know I don't know the particulars of your case, and that is why I'm asking what was so different between your ideals and those of your co-Scouters?

One Hour I hope you will reconsider your decision to quit scouting. I think I understand your frustration with wanting to see the youth in the troop you serve have a real sscouting experience.

Boards like this do a lot of good but they can also me misleading. It probaly seems like most scoutleaders do not follow the scouting program as it has been developed and designed. The truth is many do and many don't. The thousands of BSA units across the country and overseas are in a constant flux. You have new leaders coming in some just learning and some thinking they don't need to learn. There are many many experienced leaders following the program and as you have learned here many that don't, Then you have leaders leaving eevry day for many reasons burn out frustration, work, removed.

My point is that the make-up of your troop now could change at any time. You can help with that change. It doesn't require you to oust the existing SM . Just by you using the methods of scouting every chance you have when working with scouts or parents, you can make a difference in the life of a scout, and isn't that what you joined scouting for.

By using the leadership skills of scouting your behavior and relationship with scouts and parents will be noticable more positive and relaxed than the existing leader's. Slowly others will gravitate to you for your advice and asistance. You may never be SM but maybe you will. The important thing is more people will remember scouting as a positive time in their lives with you there than without you.

Don't think you are ever alone. I have met hundreds of scouters like OGE, Matua, D Steele, MK, KWC and others who gladly follow the program. Everyone of them are willing to help you with advice, experience and support.

The program and the boys are better with you than without you. I hope you will reconsider.

Your friend in scouting,

Bob White

Onehour:

As you can see, Bob White and I are not saying so long. We (and I hope ya don't mind, Bob, but I'm speaking for you here) appreciate your contributions to these forums and the fact that you ask questions others are afraid to ask.

I'm not sure what's causing you to step away from your unit, but you are a trained leader in the BSA. There are other areas you could help. Perhaps some portion of the district committee could use you. What do you like? There's a membership committee, a camping committee, an advancement committee, etc. Or perhaps your idealism could be used in the role of a Unit Commissioner tending to one of the weaker packs, troops, or crews in the district.

There's no need to ride off into the sunset. Find a niche that fits. Talk to your District chairman, Commissioner, or District Executive.

DS

OneHour, I would like to encourage you to stick with scouts. I have a coffee mug that beseeches me, "Don't let the turkeys get you down." I offer that message to you because we need people who care. Specifically, we need people who care about the boys...and if we give up we leave the boys to the turkeys.

Try to take Bob White's message to heart. There is a example who is as rigid and by-the-book as I can envision and I can only imagine the frustration that he experiences because of that. But he seems to thrive.

I also have to hold my nose on some occasions in this organization and sometimes I flame off but I keep my focus on the boys. That is really the thing that is most important. Give it some thought and, hopefully, give it another try.

OneHour

I went back and looked over some of your postings.

Strange that we have the same taste in music.

Strange that you on July 14th were thinking of next years summer camp.

Not strange that from where I sit, you seem like a real nice fellow.

Everywhere in Scouting we have volunteers who are doing their best for our kids.

At times we ALL don't get everything the way it ought to be. Heck even I have been known to get it wrong.

As I travel around the district and council, in which I serve. There are times when I'm amazed that the Scouts in some troops even bother to turn up. Whatever is going on at these meetings is so far away from what I see as Scouting. It is sad.

What is really sad is that many of these leaders have taken all the trainings.

Still even the Scouts in these units are at times exposed to what Scouting is all about, even if it is only at a district, council or national event.

I would put it to you, that you have so much to offer the young people that we serve.That no matter what has happened there is a place for a person like you in Scouting.

And Scouting and the youth will be all the better for you being in the program.

As the Rolling Stones sing "Time is on my side, oh, yes it is...."