Open Discussion - Program

Share Scouting Topics here.

Subforums

1. Scouts with Disabilities

Where parents and scouters go to discuss unique aspects to working with kids with special challenges.

A place to chat about Scouting's biggest gathering

9260 topics in this forum

• 9 replies
  1. Birth of a new District

• 5 replies
    • 25 replies
    • 1.6k views
    • 11 replies
  2. We Got "Fired"

• 7 replies
  3. Regulations...

• 5 replies
    • 15 replies
    • 1k views
  4. Girl Scouts

• 2 replies
    • 9 replies
    • 4 replies
    • 38 replies
    • 1.6k views
  5. BSA -vs- Girl Scouts 1 2

• 21 replies
    • 1.3k views
    • 11 replies
    • 14 replies
    • 8 replies
    • 1.8k views
  • LATEST POSTS

• I think neither is completely the case. The SoLs are not the impenetrable wall(s) they once were or appeared to be and, for that reason and others, not to file may be completely unwise. If an attorney counsels their client against filing, depending on the state and the fact pattern, that could be unethical. Remember, highly experienced state CSA attorneys graded the "closed" states by Gray 1-3. That means something. 
    • As near as I can tell, BSA has blocked disclosure of Hartford's policies and the amount of liability Hartford may face.  If I am incorrect, someone please educate me.  But, if that is true, it boggles the mind that the BSA and Hartford would seek approval of a settlement at $650 million without the benefit of knowing what is being given up. The answer may be buried in all the pleadings.
    • I think that the bankruptcy stay prevents new lawsuits from being filed until the stay is lifted. If claimants could file new suits now, high volume filings might persuade insurers to soften their bankruptcy stance instead of facing a demonstrated onslaught of new cases. Since new cases cannot be filed, insurers can only speculate what they might face. The idea of "onslaught" has to be tempered with recognition that filing a case which is outside a statute of limitations is not only pointless (a hollow threat) but probably legally unethical on the lawyer's part.
    • From where I sit that there would be a lot of lawyers making a mad dash to the court houses.  Most likely may not be the best for the insurers would it?  If hypothetically 10,000 lawsuits were filed that would be a lot of litigation with jury trials.
    • If you like to give and/give gifts or not they seem to collect us.   After ....... years in scouting a large number have collected me (and some are my husbands)  Now is the time to downsize, but what do I do with these? Have donated most of the patches and neckers to a group that sells them to raise money for camperships, They can't use the other items. And along with my personal items I have boxes of left over items from a business we once had that focused on American wildlife - can you guess what animals we featured? Is there a market anywhere for these items? Thanks for the help.  
  • Who's Online (See full list)