Troop committee voted to collect monthly dues

Is there anything wrong with that statement? I heard that the "troop committee" voted to collect $5 monthly dues in order to address a persistent funding shortage, caused largely by merit badge expenses on top of multiple startup expenses.

FWIW, I think it's a fine idea, I have no problem with it conceptually. Except that in my view, it should have been the boy's vote. (This is what I get for missing a meeting while ill.)

Am I expecting too much?

Actually, I'm not sure if it's the boy's decision or the troop committes, but the BSA budget plan (usually one of the papers in the re-charter packet that is most frequently ignored) calls for boys to pay dues.

A family, according to the budget plan, should only pay a Scout's registration once. The day he joins. After that, the boy should pay weekly dues (determined by the committee) to carry his weight in addition to participating in unit fundraisers, etc. Notice I said the boy should pay his weekly dues. Whether from allowances, jobs, etc. It's part of the lessons we're trying to teach.

I've seen a lot of variations -- few are against the rules, but they're out there. Some units I've seen insist on an annual fee that covers the boy's expenses. In some cases, I've seen troops charge over $100 and still insist on popcorn participation, etc. I've also seen some troops/packs tell the parents the price is XX dollars if you chose not to have your son sell our stuff and X dollars if he reaches such and such a goal. It isn't against the rules, but it goes against my personal philosophy.

DS

We charge $50 a year. I'm sure that most of the parents just write a check rather than have the kid pay the money. We do give 50% of the fund raising profits to the Scout who does the selling in his "Scout Account." The Scouts who do well at selling use that money for dues, summer camp and even equipment.

We collect an annual fee (this year $18.00) in addition to, and at the same time, as rechartering. This covers awards almost exclusively.

During the PLC's annual planning meeting, they estimate the cost of each of the activities they decide to do, and develop a plan to fund the costs. We usually end up doing 3 - fundraisers a year designed t fund these events. Left over money gets split between the boys who worked the fundraiser ad the Troop general fund. In addition, almost every event, incuding basic monthly campouts, have a fee to cover food and transportation.

I would much prefer the weekly or monthly dues, as I hink it is easier to make he boys responsible for this, rather than have mom or dad write a check. However, we think we balance this concession with the effort the boys must make to develop event budgets and plan for raisng the money.

Mark

Have the committee vote on a recommendation that ...

Let the boys determine if they follow that recommendation. Then have the boys live with their decision. It is that simple.

Too many troops (parents) pay their sons dues either annually, quarterly, or semi-annually. The boys should pay weekly dues out of their own income source.