Did you know that Bob Hope was a Silver Buffalo awardee? Got it in 1959. Great man. He will be missed.

Honors for Entertainer Bob Hope

Mon Jul 28, 9:59 AM ET

By The Associated Press

Some of the honors given to Bob Hope (news):

1941, Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (news - web sites), special silver plaque "in recognition of his unselfish services to the motion picture industry"

1941, 1943, Golden Apple Male Star of the Year, Hollywood Women's Press Club.

1943, George Foster Peabody Award for excellence in broadcasting, special citation "for his untiring zeal and the high level of entertainment of his camp tours in the United States and throughout the world"

1945, Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, a life membership "for his many services to the Academy"

1953, Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, special Oscar "for his contributions to the laughter of the world, his service to the motion picture industry, and his devotion to the American premise"

1959, Silver Buffalo Award, Boy Scouts of America

And on and on and on ....

1960, Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, Jean Hersholt (news) Humanitarian Award

1963, Cecil B. DeMille (news) Award, Hollywood

I shall miss Bob Hope.

He was a great American. As Eamonn (Dear Lad) has pointed out, Leslie Towne Hope came to America when he was 4 years old (emmigrating ... as most all of our founding fore-fathers had) and adopted this country.

I wept when I saw the 100th birthday salute on May 29th. Even recorded it on a DVD I watch over and over again. For most of America, if you're between the ages of 18 and 80, Bob Hope was on stage in one form or another for your entire life.

What an impact on America!

If anyone hears of when he's buried, please post it here. I've heard that PResident Bush has ordered all flags on government institutions lowered to half staff on that day . . . and my Scout Office, for one, will join them.

Respectfully to Mr. Hope.

DS

It is my understanding that a private funeral mass was held today and he was interred today in the cemetery of the San Fernando Mission in the San Fernando Valley. Those familiar with Southern California will know that the valley is mostly within the city limits of Los Angeles, but I believe the mission is in the city limits of the town of San Fernando. There is supposed to be a larger public mass next week and a following memorial event somewhere in Hollywierd.

Being funny must have run in the family genes. In my early adult life (as I remember looking through the fog that has built up over those many years!), I worked at a clothing store where I sold clothes to Bob Hope's nephew, Milton. Everyone in the store just loved when he came in. He had us salespeople, the counter staff, even other customers in stitches (yeah, I know, REALLY BAD PUN!). He had a way of saying the most rude things and making people feel good about hearing them. He picked on my weight all the time. And it was hilarious. We had one girl who was quite well endowed, and was very self conscious about it. He used to joke with her all the time, and it actually made her feel better. Milton was amazing. Bob seemed to be that much and more.

Rest in peace, Bob.

Mark

Bob and his wife used to come to our medical center for his eye care, about 20 years ago.

I was younger than (So was Bob) and of the opinion that Bob Hope was one step removed from Lawrence Welk, someone only your parents could enjoy.

The first time he came onto our floor (which my finance staff shared with the Ophthalmology departments), when his check up was over, he asked the women to leave. I was lucky enough to be invited in, to a one man comedy show, for about an hour.(Some of the material was slightly blue, which was why the gentleman Hope asked the ladies to leave). We all would come out in tears. And there would be return engagement six months later.

None of us could ever re-tell the stories later....

On top of being much funnier than I had ever thgought, he was a really kind man.