Open Discussion - Program

Share Scouting Topics here.

Subforums

1. Scouts with Disabilities

Where parents and scouters go to discuss unique aspects to working with kids with special challenges.

A place to chat about Scouting's biggest gathering

9073 topics in this forum

1. Need some Catapult plans

• 2 replies
    • 4 replies
  2. Eagle sequence

• 3 replies
    • 68 replies
  3. Why one boy wants to quit 1 2

• 22 replies
  4. Adult Patrol

• 12 replies
  5. Bob White 1 2

• 16 replies
  6. ASM duties

• 9 replies
  7. Gleaning

• 2 replies
    • 6 replies
  8. New role

• 2 replies
  9. Board of Review

• 8 replies
  10. Troop Committee Composition

• 7 replies
    • 15 replies
  11. National Camping School

• 1 reply
  • LATEST POSTS

• 'AWESOME! TOTALLY AWESOME!"  That sounds like a major project. Good luck to your son.  
    • Where I am at, an extremely rural area with the median household income for 4 is Approx $42K. A lot of folks can barely afford Scouting. And COVID is going to make it worse. On a Positive note, someone is listening,National gave us the price increase for this year 2 months before Round Ups start, and told us the 8-1-21 price and 8-1-22 price in advance,   @Cburkhardt, if you passed along my suggestiut folks can bon ot the powers that be, THANK YOU! The price increase will hurt, budget and prepare.
    • I have good news too.  My sons Eagle project was approved tonight.  The biggest issue they had with it is that it is ambitious and bigger than most 🙂  When in the video with the committee he said that he found this project and didn't want to build just a park bench he wants to build a park.  He is building a mountain biking slopestyle track at a local mountain biking non-profit.  Gotta love projects that include excavators and chain saws.  Just waiting for one more signature before they can start.  fingers crossed.
    • The out-of-pocket annual cost to fully participate in our troop (including registrations, summer camp, 8 weekend campouts, patches and just about everything else but high adventure) is around $1,000.  This is paid through dues, activity fees and fundraising, which in our troop is an annual fundraising event.  We give a troop FOS gift to the council.  So this increase will be a piddling amount against our overall budget.  New members will pay the $25 without issue.  It is the cost of doing business, and is mainly our insurance.  If the council would prefer a fee instead of FOS, that is fine with us.  They need and deserve the support and we will provide support either way.  You have a few auto accidents and your auto insurance increases.  Same here. Scouting is still “dirt cheap” in comparison to all of the other options for families out there.  There are a lot of middle class families out there that spend many multiples of our annual costs on just a couple of “travel team”, kid pageant, cheerleader camps, unneeded prestige bicycles or gym shoes.  I have no problem with this.
    • Who decided the "supplies" were needed? Did the Scout point out their being needed there?  Who developed the plan to raise the funds, order them,  collect the crew necessary to install them correctly? Who would have done this, if not by a Scout's efforts?   Perhaps the janitor?    This is much different from a Scout noticing that a bridge over this particular muddy area on a well traveled park trail  might be a good addition, go to the park department, offer to plan, arrange, gather materials,  supervise the bridge construction and then get 'er done.   
  • Who's Online (See full list)