Open Discussion - Program

Share Scouting Topics here.

Subforums

1. Scouts with Disabilities

Where parents and scouters go to discuss unique aspects to working with kids with special challenges.

A place to chat about Scouting's biggest gathering

8864 topics in this forum

• 4 replies
    • 11 replies
    • 7 replies
    • 2 replies
    • 2 replies
  1. scouter270

• 1 reply
    • 8 replies
  2. Cub Scout Commercial

• 2 replies
    • 4 replies
    • 4 replies
  3. Cub Trax on a iTouch

• 1 reply
  4. Testing

• 3 replies
    • 1 reply
    • 3 replies
    • 4 replies
  • LATEST POSTS

• Better training? The current training only works for those that don't need it. Better understanding of the typical problems and good, honest, specific examples of how to solve them. Pushy or clueless parents. Scouts with challenges. Getting a troop out of a rut. Developing a program so scouts stay till they age out.  Just my 2 cents.
    • Sure, but when sports teams have a few players with massive egos then some players will gravitate towards scouts. I was talking about when the activity is done right. When I was a kid I did both. I liked both at the time. Now, I see that I liked sports for reasons that had absolutely nothing to do with any goals that any adult has ever brought up. But I'm still glad I did it. Scouts was somewhat closer but I will never forget the impact a couple of those adults (and one older scout) had on me. A bit of tough love. A bit of kindness at just the right time. I can't say the same about the coaches. My son did both. He enjoyed tennis. He wanted to play basketball but couldn't make the team. That's a problem with sports in a big school. The service aspect of scouts has stuck with him.  Maybe different activities work better for different kids.  I agree. It's also why scouts is high on the decision tree for what a kid will cut to make up for too many commitments. On the whole, what you say is why I've pushed for new scouts to focus on teamwork. Without that patrols have no hope and leadership is really difficult. 
    • In addition to the ceremony, a few of us decided to keep a fire burning throughout the night in memory of all the brothers of the Vigil honor we lost in the last year.  I sat and  kept watch from 1:00-3:00am. Many of my brothers walked past and placed a stick or two into the flames. There was some flute playing by one brother. Another drummed and sang.  Some talked softly to each other, remembering those they had loved and lost.  Just before dawn we used a flame from the  watch fire to light the "other" one.  My Vigil brothers will understand. Probably the most moving  "ceremony " I have ever seen it was a privilege and an honor to be a part of it.
    • I appreciate your thoughts. It is good to hear a different perspective.  My original point had less to do with parents attitudes towards sports (or scouts for that matter), and more to do with the bigger push for competing in sports over participation in scouts. I too have seen very aggressive parents in scouting.  The question I am really looking for an answer to, is how do we as scouters help facilitate a program that draws the interest of more of today’s youth?   Mike
    • I appreciate where you're coming from but I do believe that scout parents can be just as aggressive and demanding - if not more so - than any sports parents ever could.  In my own experience, as an Eagle Scout and as a parent of two Eagle Scouts who are both athletes, I have experienced some minor 'politics' in terms of their competing in sports, but that pales in comparison to the level of pettiness and egotism that I have seen displayed first hand by multiple scout leaders. I've also heard too many similar accounts from other scout parents, as well as posts on this board, over how some troops choose to operate by adding requirements or using their own subjective, or judgmental, biases to deny rank advancement.  I can only go by my own personal experience and I've only seen true pettiness and egotism in scouts, not in sports.
  • Who's Online (See full list)