My example of Boy - Led

I just had to share this incident with all of you. I thought it was very interesting.

Our older guys are beginning the preparations for their annual Appalacian Trail hike in the spring. Because this event is a great time to tackle some of the requirements for Hiking and Backpacking MBs, a number of our guys asked me for blue cards so they could begin working with one of our ASMs, who is a Counselor for those badges.

A week or two ago, I walked into the meeting to find three Scouts discussing various requirements with the ASM. It was one of those Rockwell moments, with the ASM standing and demonstrating something the guys would have to know to pass a requirement.

This past week, the crew had a first pack inspection scheduled. The boy who is leading the expedition is in charge of inspecting all of the packs and making suggestions as to what equipment might be missing or unnecesary, how to rearrange the pack for better accessablity, etc. This was one of the boys working on the MB. He looked over the ASM's pack, challenged him on a number of his items, and made some fine suggestions for improving his set up, including the need to add protective strapping to use to protect trees when he set up his new backpacking hammock while on the trail.

Just a week or two before, this boy was taking instruction from an "expert". Now, he has the responsiblity for making recomendations for improvement to the "expert", and the ASM was pleased to be reminded about the protection for his hammock.

My youngest son is 2 months from graduating out of the Troop. sometimes, I get the urge to chuck Scouting and start doing something for me. Then I see a scene like this play out, and I realize I can't leave.

To steal a line from one of my favorite posters (again!):

Man, I love this Scouting stuff!

Mark