Who Pays For Learning For Life?

I have never had a lot to do with the Learning For Life program.

In fact I think the Man Of Steele gave me more information in another thread on Venturing then I have ever been given.

Dumb, as this may sound I have never had any time for the LFL. Dumb because I don't know that much about the program.

Here is what I think I know and I welcome those who are wiser then I to lead me to the path of enlightenment.

1. LFL is a separate corporation.

2. Youth and Adult members do not have to make the Scout Oath.

This is all fine and dandy with me. I just don't want to have anything to do with it.

Just as the Civil Air Patrol or Camp Fire might be doing a really great job and are serving the needs of the youth in their organization. I have nothing to do with them. They don't any money or donations from me.

So why am I providing funds for this LFL program.

This program is run from the Scout Service Center.

It does have staff that only work in the LFL program. While I don't know if their pay check comes from a LFL account, or if they pay rent for the use of the Service Center.

I do know that in this council the LFL program is the responsibility of the Field Director.

Again I don't know if he accounts for the man hours that he puts into this program.

The LFL program does allow people into the program that would not be able to be leaders in any of the program areas that I support.

Support with my money and time raising money.

While I wish them well.

I don't want to support them.

It seems in this council that the programs are too close and there is a need for more accoutability.

I wonder if the people who donate to the FOS, are aware that it might be possible that they are supporting a program that is not the value based organization that they think?

So who does pay for LFL?(This message has been edited by Eamonn)

Eamonn,

I don't know how the finances are handled today, but I know the program from before the subsidiary corporation was formed.

It was an ethics based program in the school. Other than some counselors or teachers to guide the program, the leadership was the professional or para-professional.

The United Way and other donors liked the program which allowed us funds, beyond the expenses, to run the program. So without it we would have seen a net loss of income.

Maybe the "Man of Steele" can enlighten us. I know his council, at one time, had the highest percentage of youth served by the program.

As to Exploring portion of it, my heart is in Exploring but I haven't been involved since the change. I just began researching it this week to maybe get involved in it again.

Bob H

I would be interested in a similar explaination of the ScoutReach program. I was shocked the first time I went to a Council banquet and saw the number of "Paraprofessionals" there. These are essentially just people who are being paid to do what I do for free, right? How much of the rest of the program is being paid for? I don't have a problem with financial assistance for under priviledged kids (my unit usually provides some assistance to a couple families every year), but paying people to be leaders, I'm not sure about.

Who pays for Learning for Life varies so much by council that I would prefer to answer it by phone rather than on these forums.

Eamonn and Overtrained, you have my numbers.

Twocubdad (I'm sorry I screw up the proper captitalization, but I never seem to have the name in view when I type it.)

At any rate, Scoutreach and paraprofessionals, regarding them being paid -- Most councils would much rather have volunteer leaders guiding these young men who are not paid. But economic, cultural and language barriers often make paying leaders for these boys the only way to serve them.

In the two out of three councils that I have served, we have had to make the choice between serving Scoutreach youth with paid paraprofessionals familiar with the language and culture, or not serving those youth at all.

I would cheerfully make the choice to pay paraprofessionals here in southeast Wisconsin if we had more multicultural youth to serve. But only if it meant they would get no service at all if we didn't pay them.

DS

I guess what made me wonder is the number of ScoutReach units we have and the much greater number of paraprofessionals running around at the banquet. My impression of a paraprofessional was that they were kinda half-way between a CM/SM and a DE, working with only a couple units, but giving them support at the unit level beyond what a DE normally does. We seem to have enough PPs to staff the units down to the den leader level.

How much traditional parental leadership is expected from the ScoutReach units? Or they pretty much run exclusively by the PPs?

In the cases where I've seen paraprofessionals used, they began as basically the only leaders for the units -- regardless of level. It's a struggle to find a second adult to be there for two-deep leadership.

The hope is that the paraprofessional can get the unit to self-sufficency as soon as possible. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

I would hesitate to say that a paraprofessional is somewhere between a CM/SM and a DE. Usually, paraprofessionals (sometimes called program aides) are paid minimum wage.

DE's may wish they made that much per hour ;)

DS