Last Monday, I went to visit one of the Webelos Dens that is crossing over soon to our Troop. The boys were setting up a tent. As I watched this activity I couldn't help but picture these same guys doing the same thing in just a few weeks as new scouts in our Troop.

Yep, there were a couple of guys running around waving the tent poles, another just standing around watching, and a couple of guys really working hard at putting up the tent. Then there was the boy trying to lead the show. A lot of yelling, a lot of grabbing the poles from the "sword fighters," occasional glances at the directions.

While all this was going on, their Den Leader and another Dad who are joining our Troop as well just stood off to the side with me and watched. Oh yes, these boys and men will transition to our troop very well.

Good times.

Reminds me of one of my finest moments: Trip to the Keys, stopped for fast-food breakfast, boys being boys - using straws as shooters, stuffing hash-browns up their noses, spilling milk - and I saw two little girls sitting nearby, quietly with their moms and watching in horrified fascination. I walked over and said hello. Then I turned to the little girls and said,

"I want you to remember this moment well. Some day...you're probably going to marry one of those."

The moms nearly snorted coffee out their noses. Nice.

Here's one Scoutmaster who hopes I never stop thinking that stuff is funny. My relationship with my son has improved 100% since I realized that there are times when his 50 year old Dad can still be 12 years old.

Of course, my 14 year old daughter just thinks it's "gross". But my wife (who I love with all my heart) understands...