Chapter 11 Announced - Part 10 - Post Confirmation Hearing/Judges Ruling

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A friend contacted me privately, concerned I've not been posting. He knows I am on all the hearings and was checking in on me. Honestly, Eagle1993 does such an excellent job I had little to add. My at

Thanks for mentioning that.  Probably a good time for me to pop back up.  I just want to say thanks to everyone who participates on this and other forums (Fora?).  I take my role on the TCC seriously

I hope you find some peace.  For me, the start of the bankruptcy and having to address the abuse again was difficult. But, I went back to therapy and found some other people with similar experien

Posted Images

3 hours ago, ALongWalk said:

Pretty difficult to listen to what happened to a survivor and his friend. 

It's a reminder that there are many children, like his friend, who did not survive to make a claim and he also came close to ending his life. I think of that whenever anyone attempts to use the 82,000 cases as an absolute number. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
On 5/6/2022 at 12:14 PM, yknot said:

It's a reminder that there are many children, like his friend, who did not survive to make a claim and he also came close to ending his life. I think of that whenever anyone attempts to use the 82,000 cases as an absolute number. 

It really makes me sad that they thought suicide was the way to go .Then I think about their parents who will never know why their son killed his self.As bad as I was abused rape whatever you want to call im nowhere near the victim the ones that committed suicide are.They are the real victims.

And their blood is on the hands of each and everyone that took part in covering this up.It makes me want to go and knock the hell out every single one of them in the ivory tower. Sorry for venting.✌️🙏

• Like 2
39 minutes ago, ThenNow said:

I know there often is a back and forth about suicide. Some say it's the ultimate selfish act by the one who lost the battle. Others who know the anguish understand it CAN be a severe mercy. I DO NOT condone or encourage self harm of any kind and certainly not the most extreme. I share these thoughts as someone who has been there. I thought everyone would be better off, including me, in my mortal coil absence. It seemed merciful to all involved, which of course is distorted and doesn't account for the good or the potential for healing, forgiveness, restoration, redemption and love that "covers a multitude." My wife told me just yesterday that, when I was at my most troubled, she prayed God take me if it be His will. "You were in such anguish and mental torment." When I told my mother about my childhood, and not in full by any means, she said, looking off into space, "Maybe it would have been better for me if you hadn't been born." It caused her that much pain. (She was talking about herself, to me clear.) I don't think she understood what came out of her mouth. I have to choose to live. So far, it's worked for 50 years.

Looking over that precipice, if only for a few moments, is terrifying.  Fortunately, most do draw back and with luck they come to grips in other ways.  For me, my losest points have often drawn words into a journal of verse and essay.  And rereading things from years back frightens me on occasion, but also makes me realize that hope can still be nourished.  I am fortunate to have somehow developed a personal spirituality and am grateful for having been guided to that place by some important people in my life when I was at the low point.  And they in turn were able to help me reconnect with the lighter things from the past and come to understand a little better.  That is just me, and I pray others might find that guidance in some manner aw well.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I noted on the docket that some professionals have submitted their 26th monthly application for payment of fees. Anyone have an idea of the aggregate total, even roughly? Strange person that I am, I took my lunch break and thought I needed to slam my head against the cherry wood for a few minutes. Easy way to induce such a reaction? Enter "fee" into the keyword search on the docket, hit "Load" and get your forehead in position. Randomly:

Morris Nichols for January - $467,000 and change 

Morris Nichols for February - $517,000 and change

Berkeley Research Group (an oldie) August-October $715,000 and pocket change

Okay. It's all pocket change, right?

Also, would some accounting wizard please cipher out the small print entry on the attached photo? Please? When you do, I beg for the explanation to be in plain English, as required by a guy I know who thus far has avoided such calculatin' through one stint of undergrad and two graduate degrees? I am cornfusled.

1A7FAD66-5463-4F79-9D9F-DAF4692FE6CC.jpeg

Edited by ThenNow
Oops! It's now the 26th application for fees...

I started keeping track early and was fascinated by the proposed monthly amounts the various firms were stating they would charge.  Nearly every day I review the dockets including pay applications submitted. Based on 80% recovery (actual billing) as of yesterday the total is $159,052,158.67.  That will be plus or minus a few cents.  

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
10 minutes ago, Wyobkr said:

Based on 80% recovery (actual billing) as of yesterday the total is $159,052,158.67.

Back to introducing my noggin to the desk. By now you'd think they'd be very well acquainted. 

• Sad 1
57 minutes ago, Wyobkr said:

I started keeping track early and was fascinated by the proposed monthly amounts the various firms were stating they would charge.  Nearly every day I review the dockets including pay applications submitted. Based on 80% recovery (actual billing) as of yesterday the total is $159,052,158.67.  That will be plus or minus a few cents.  

That is some serious cash! Beyond crazy….

7 minutes ago, ALongWalk said:

That is some serious cash! Beyond crazy….

The crying shame of it all is that the DOJ says the settlement isn't legal.  What if the judge says go back to the drawing board?

• Upvote 1
On 5/10/2022 at 4:32 PM, Wyobkr said:

As to the photo I posted above, are you able to explain what it takes to become a certified time logger and fee application preparer? Mama "needs" a new pair-o-shoes.  I'll cut down the hourly from $298.237519 to an even $250. 

• Haha 3
On 5/10/2022 at 5:39 PM, Wyobkr said:

The crying shame of it all is that the DOJ says the settlement isn't legal.  What if the judge says go back to the drawing board?

Then BSA will go Chapter 7.  They brought this up multiple times.  They do not have the liquidity to continue in bankruptcy after this summer ... and a completely rejected plan would likely take 6 months to a year to get through the process (plan, voting, confirmation hearing, approval).  If national goes CH7, then expect many local councils to be immediately sued and a large number to file for their own bankruptcies.  LDS and some COs will also get sued.  I'm not sure if the BSA can survive, but it will be ugly for much longer.

Now, I think a more likely outcome is that the judge either approves outright OR rejects but on narrow grounds (i.e. something minor around the releases, injunction, etc.).  If it is narrow, I do think BSA can quickly work through an update to the plan and survive in Ch 11.

In the end, we will have to see what district court says as well. As you say, I do expect DOJ will fight as they see any non-consensual non-debtor releases as an abuse of the bankruptcy court system.  

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3
13 minutes ago, Eagle1993 said:

Then BSA will go Chapter 7.  They brought this up multiple times.  They do not have the liquidity to continue in bankruptcy after this summer ... and a completely rejected plan would likely take 6 months to a year to get through the process (plan, voting, confirmation hearing, approval).  If national goes CH7, then expect many local councils to be immediately sued and a large number to file for their own bankruptcies.  LDS and some COs will also get sued.  I'm not sure if the BSA can survive, but it will be ugly for much longer.

Now, I think a more likely outcome is that the judge either approves outright OR rejects but on narrow grounds (i.e. something minor around the releases, injunction, etc.).  If it is narrow, I do think BSA can quickly work through an update to the plan and survive in Ch 11.

In the end, we will have to see what district court says as well. As you say, I do expect DOJ will fight as they see any non-consensual non-debtor releases as an abuse of the bankruptcy court system.  

If national begins CH7,  would CH11 local lawsuit stays, some over 2 years old, be immediately (automatically?) released?

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Eagle1993 said:

...  If it is narrow, I do think BSA can quickly work through an update to the plan and survive in Ch 11. ...

Quick?  Quick in bankruptcy proceedings is three months or more.