Jump to content
Eagle1993

New Sex Abuse Charges

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Eagle1993 said:

I'm very sad for the youth hurt by those 50 adults.  I'm also sad for the countless thousands of other youth who will be impacted because of the money and resources the BSA will now need to spend in the aftermath.  Who knows - this may even push the BSA into bankruptcy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So the existence of the Ineligible Volunteer files is old news.  This feels like a couple of ambulance chasers trying to get law suits into the courts before the BSA files for bankruptcy.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, walk in the woods said:

So the existence of the Ineligible Volunteer files is old news.  This feels like a couple of ambulance chasers trying to get law suits into the courts before the BSA files for bankruptcy.

Wouldn't know that based on the way those articles are written. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, Sentinel947 said:

Wouldn't know that based on the way those articles are written. 

I’m not sure if we have seen 100+ names released publicly before.  This law firm is also going after the Catholic Church for similar issues... naming large numbers of the accused. 

Edit... actually looks like previous reports dating back to 2010 indicated 1,200 volunteers are listed.  This law firm is indicating 7,000...

Edited by Eagle1993
Added a bit more info

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This definitely look like a money play.  In no way discounting what happened to the youth and in no way excusing the way the BSA (National / Council / Local CO) handled these cases.  Challenge is there is liability in the way this was handled.  Problem is many of these go back (even in their admission) almost 80 years.  The lawyers typically state they want policies to change etc, which BSA has clearly done.

This is grandstanding, nothing else.  If they have incidents in the last 10 years, after the more stringent YPT was rolled out, then you have a case that warrants attention.  The only reason to get wound up on the past ones is if BSA starts denying it happened.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Anderson plans to file multiple lawsuits against the Boy Scouts on behalf of the victims and demands the organization hand over their files, including names of those accused of abuse.

Sounds like a prospect list.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anderson plans to file multiple lawsuits against the Boy Scouts on behalf of the victims and demands the organization hand over their files, including names of those accused of abuse

7 minutes ago, Saltface said:

Sounds like a prospect list.

I thought the files were already out in a searchable database as a result of several previous lawsuit.  

Wow - these guys are definitely looking for more clients - here is one from New York attorney.  They even list names from the files.  They seem to be casting a wide net for anyone else.

https://newyorksexabuseattorneys.com/boy-scout-files/?gclid=CjwKCAjw7_rlBRBaEiwAc23rhthUii8jw1NnVhlr9KfGHsoB_K_9EyafV8eyx7caVCP_xnX-CixVVhoCQVgQAvD_BwE

Here is the searchable database

https://www.crewjanci.com/resources/boy-scout-perversion-files/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Just watched.  This is in prep for the August 15 date where the statue of limitations is dropped in New York for child abuse.  They indicate there are over 12,000 victims and 7,800 abusers...based on detailed analysis of the files... 

Edited by Eagle1993
Added clarification

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So it appears that January 30 this year a researcher hired by the BSA to go through their files indicated some of her findings in an unrelated trial.  The trial was against a children’s theater in Minnesota.  The expert indicated that the BSA required no one on one contact since 1987... whereas the theater only started this in 2017.

In any case, the researcher stated some of the BSA prior processes and numbers that are coming out from her research.  This is what the law firm is jumping at. 

In addition the law firm has released a report on their website of NY and NJ accused and asking for the abused to come forward.  

So I agree, appears to be a fishing expedition.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.apnews.com/e1ccae7cfce749169db80adf83a267cb

Attorney Tim Kosnoff, a veteran of major sexual abuse lawsuits against the Roman Catholic Church, said Tuesday that he and his team have signed up 186 clients from dozens of states in just the past few weeks who want to be part of litigation against the Boy Scouts. Kosnoff said 166 of them identified alleged abusers who have not been named in any of the Boy Scout files made public in past years.

Both the Boy Scouts and the Catholic Church say they now have policies in place to sharply curtail abuse that abounded in past decades. In the Boy Scouts ′ case, the steps included requiring criminal background checks for all staff and volunteers, and requiring two or more adult leaders be present with youth at all times during scouting activities.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Eagle1993 said:

https://www.apnews.com/e1ccae7cfce749169db80adf83a267cb

Attorney Tim Kosnoff, a veteran of major sexual abuse lawsuits against the Roman Catholic Church, said Tuesday that he and his team have signed up 186 clients from dozens of states in just the past few weeks who want to be part of litigation against the Boy Scouts. Kosnoff said 166 of them identified alleged abusers who have not been named in any of the Boy Scout files made public in past years.

Both the Boy Scouts and the Catholic Church say they now have policies in place to sharply curtail abuse that abounded in past decades. In the Boy Scouts ′ case, the steps included requiring criminal background checks for all staff and volunteers, and requiring two or more adult leaders be present with youth at all times during scouting activities.

Two or more adult leaders be present at all times? Maybe I didn't pay close enough attention when I watched the new training videos, but isn't there still a difference between two-deep leadership and no one-on-one contact?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I wonder if Scouts BSA is waiting until after Jambo to file for bankruptcy?  As Harry Einstein said,  insanity is singing the same repeat after me song, over and over again and expecting different results. 

Edited by RememberSchiff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the reported possible bankruptcy got the trial lawyers kicked into high gear to find clients before the BSA files.  

I think it should be made clear that the BSA’s perversion files were intended to keep predators out of scouting.  Recent testimony indicates the BSA has 17 employees checking annual adult registrations against this list to help ensure they didn’t register as leaders.  This is a bit different than the Catholic Church who just moved priests around.  

The BSA was operating in a time of no national background checks and in many ways should be commended for some of this work.  If there are specific cases where they ignored reports or violated standards at the time, they should be held responsible.  However, it seems like much of this is now about trial lawyers trying to hit a payday before bankruptcy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RememberSchiff said:

I wonder if Scouts BSA is waiting until after Jambo to file for bankruptcy?  As Harry Einstein said,  insanity is singing the same repeat after me song, over and over again and expecting different results. 

*Sigh*

The Organization is still called Boy Scouts of America. Just the 11-17 program is now called Scouts BSA

  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×