When I was training chair, the SE wanted the course as cheap as possible. For Specific training and the like, charge for snacks and paperwork only, nothing else. For those training courses that required a budget, i.e. BALOO, IOLS, etc, then he asked us to budget 10% over what we anticipated, just in case. If we went into the 10% fine, if we didn't, then the council kept it, and usually it helped offset a training that went over budget. He also waived the camp usage fees for those trainings so that it would be as cheap as possible for volunteers to get trained. I've been on both ends of the spectrum. One course was not well attended and I ended up over budget. Another course I ran ended up significantly under budget. We had more people take the class than anticipated, and ended up with a nice surplus.

Now the  pro I mentioned in another thread, not only wants 10% miscellaneous but another 15% added to all training courses. Doesn't matter if it is a Specific Leader Training course, or WB, all courses must have a surplus. Very hard to justify paying $15 for a course you can take online for free.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Goodness, if only there had been some advance notice of this deadline...

I suspect all the training folks I've worked with over the years would absolutely agree with this statement.  What they and I don't agree with is National mandating training and the Council's turning

I can understand the frustration some folks are having, depending on how their District or Council has approached the whole YPT thing. I know that we started discussing this is our monthly Commis

24 minutes ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

Very hard to justify paying $15 for a course you can take online for free.

I've got a different view here.  If I'm a volunteer - say an ASM in a troop.  I'm going to devote a few hours a week, camp with the troop four times a year, probably help out at a few events too.  I'll probably devote 100-200 hours a year into Scouting.

I'll admit - our district training team says the same thing $15 is too much.  To me, $15 to take a training course from a live, experienced, knowledgeable instructor seems like a bargain.  I think we underestimate the value of experience here.

1 hour ago, ParkMan said:

I'll admit - our district training team says the same thing $15 is too much.  To me, $15 to take a training course from a live, experienced, knowledgeable instructor seems like a bargain.  I think we underestimate the value of experience here.

Would you pay $30 for all day at UoS which includes a box lunch and patch? How about $35?

14 minutes ago, an_old_DC said:

Would you pay $30 for all day at UoS which includes a box lunch and patch? How about $35?

Yes

When I'm out of town, I pay a neighbor $40 to mow my lawn.  Why not $35 for a day of training?

Edited by ParkMan

I volunteer in my troop so that we can bring Scouting to the boys in our community.  It brings value to our Scouts to have the best trained leaders possible.  To that end, we budget money each year to pay for Scouter training.  We expect to pay for equipment and we expect to pay for training.  

I'm quite ok that it works that way.  Frankly, for us it amounts to about $5 per Scout each year to pay for Scouter training.  Would it be nice if it were free - sure, but so would lots of things.  So, I don't begrudge a fee for training.

Edited by ParkMan
Typos
1 hour ago, ParkMan said:

Would it be nice if it were free - sure, but so would lots of things.  So, I don't begrudge a fee for training.

I suspect all the training folks I've worked with over the years would absolutely agree with this statement.  What they and I don't agree with is National mandating training and the Council's turning that mandate into a revenue stream.

• Upvote 3
16 hours ago, ParkMan said:

Yes

When I'm out of town, I pay a neighbor $40 to mow my lawn.  Why not $35 for a day of training?

14 hours ago, NJCubScouter said:

It seems to me that the better analogy would be if your neighbor paid you the $40 for the privilege of cutting your lawn.

If the training cost $35, yes I would. However, it is more like MJ Scouter said. Last time I did IOLS training, all council did was A) collect Money and Applications and B) post the flyer on the website. Even then they did not turn over the applications like I requested until the day of the event. Also they posted the flyer AFTER the sign up deadline. I got more advertising posting it on Facebook than the council.  Everything I used on the course, I had to get donated or provide, and then get reinbursed: copies for hand outs, supplies, etc. Council didn't provide any real benefits.

At the end of the day, the Scouts in our troop need trained leaders.  Our Scouts need Scouters who attend trainings given by well qualified instructors.  When Scouters don't get trained, they lose out on all that valuable knowledge and wisdom.

If folks don't like their council - then I'd suggest finding another way to attend the classes.  If Scouters don't want to help train in their council - then I'd simply encourage them to find another way or location to impart the same knowedge

Agree completely, Scouts deserve trained leaders. And the online courses are a joke for the most part.  And those that are serious usually contain out of date material. Best example of that is the new YPT2 that came out in Februaruy. It still has 18 year olds OK as 2nd adult, when that changed in May.

Burt Councils should not try to profit from training. You need training rto get program.

On 9/14/2018 at 7:45 AM, MikeS72 said:

What we have been told as Commissioners is that anyone who has not updated to the new version of YPT by 10/1/18 will have their registration terminated.  In order to recharter they would then have to fill out a new adult application and submit it, along with a current YPT certificate.

I have been reminding people in my units, and have seen a lot of waiting until the last minute.  In my own pack and troop we are seeing the same, although we are down to only one in the pack.  I am pretty sure that we have several in the troop who will end up lapsing.  When that happens, we will see if they actually disappear from our troop roster.

Here's what we received today from our registrar:

"Anyone that has not taken the new youth protection by midnight, September 30, 2018, will have their current youth protection expired, and will not be able to recharter until they complete the new youth protection.  Only the youth protection will be expired, not your membership."

9 minutes ago, T2Eagle said:

Here's what we received today from our registrar:

"Anyone that has not taken the new youth protection by midnight, September 30, 2018, will have their current youth protection expired, and will not be able to recharter until they complete the new youth protection.  Only the youth protection will be expired, not your membership."

I think it depends on your Council. I called my registrar last week for verification and was told that everyone has to take YPT (with exception of the EO) or they'll be dropped.

9 hours ago, Saltface said:

I think it depends on your Council. I called my registrar last week for verification and was told that everyone has to take YPT (with exception of the EO) or they'll be dropped.

Same here.  We have all been told at every roundtable and every commissioner meeting that those who expire at midnight on Sunday will have their memberships revoked.  While that may seem extreme to many, completing YPT is not at all difficult, and if all that result in not getting it done is to say 'your YPT has expired, but continue with your unit as if everything is fine for the next three months', there is really no incentive to get it done.

It would also make me wonder a bit, if they are willing to ignore this requirement for eight months, what other things are they ignoring.

I have gotten e-mails from my council, but none have said anything about being dropped.  All they say is that leaders will not be able to recharter unless they have taken the new training.  A lot of Scouters don't attend roundtable, so I wouldn't count on it as the primary way to get the word out.