How about those who prefer leaders keep their hands off the kids?

5 minutes ago, WisconsinMomma said:

I think sometimes stories get told over and over.   Sure, babies are made all over the place.  That is life.  Just don't blame the girls and women only because it takes two to tango. 

I guess, but even your reply is contradictory. "Stories told over and over", AND, "babies made all over the place". 

Where does "don't blame the girls" come from. I really don't feel you understand the members of this forum. Most of us are older with a lot of life and scouting experience. We have been Dancing for quite a long time.

Barry

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Be careful what you wish for. BSA has been known to cave to peer pressure. All it takes is for one person to complain about WB "beading" ceremonies as cultural appropriation (use of beads, beads being

Wow ... I don't think I have EVER heard of shaking hands as being either "out-of-date" or problematic in any way. It can't be generational; I am barely 34 and most of my friends are much younger; shak

I did not blame girls or women, in fact I did not state the genders,  dating is inappropriate at a scout activity.  Or did that change?  

Posted Images

I was talking to Barry.  He's mentioned scout babies a couple of times (I have assumed it's babies of adult scouters.)   If this is used as a reason why there should not be girls (or women) in Scouting, it could be perceived as the women being the problem. 

Just as if there are pretty girls in Scouting, then the boys will look at the pretty girls. That's life.  It's not the girls' fault, and pretty girls will get noticed no matter what they are wearing.  Do we leave out the girls because they are pretty? 

It's this line of reasoning that leads some societies to place all kinds of restrictions on women.  

OK

So I have a personal story that reminds of the last few post. A personal friend brought here son around to visit our troop. Her expectations, like many parents new to the troop program, where different from her son. She want her son in a troop were all the adults looked sharp while working with the scouts who looked just as sharp. She didn't care for our troop where the adults sat in one room while the scouts did there thing in other rooms. And not all the scouts looked as sharp as the scoutmaster. (:cool:

Anyway, she and her son visited our troop FIVE times because he kept saying we were his choice. She kept resisting by visiting the two to choices until he decided with her choice. Well, her son won in the end. But even though we are friends, she was suspicious of the "boys" club of ASMs. So, even thought she attended all the meetings and campouts, she kept her distance. It was an odd situation, but we felt she would eventually fit in once she saw how our program worked. And sure enough, she visited me at summer camp to express how she finally got it. From her small tent she set up away from the other adults (boys club) and in the middle of camp, she observed older scouts on their own offering to help younger scouts with their classes. I don't know why that was the light bulb that turn on for her, but it changed her so much that she moved her tent to near the boys club.

She bought in to our patrol method so much that she went and marketed for new scouts from her kids schools and church every year. She wrote a parents guide for new scouts that would make Badon Powel and Bill Hilcourt proud. She became the best CC we ever had. And all three of her sons became Eagles in our troop.

I fully expect that same thing to happen with new members and the boys club on this forum because I think new members will learn what my friend learned, there is no boys club. Just like-minded people gathering in a place of their passion.

Barry

1 hour ago, RememberSchiff said:

There is coffee all over my screen. :o

Scouts going on a date while at a scout activity? Not happening.

Okay, I think I can see where this all went wrong. I'm pretty sure Win.Mamma meant the *parents* going on a "date night" while their boy and girl kids were at Cubs or Scouts. The rest of this spiral seems to stem from that, if I'm not mistaken.

Oh, and yes, us debauched Europeans have also heard of "Jamboree babies". No actual proof of course. Just juicy salacious  gossip. 

• Thanks 1
31 minutes ago, WisconsinMomma said:

Sounds like you have it all figured out then. 

No, I don't have it all figured out--that's why I continue to teach training classes and take classes myself. I want to learn and grow and be able to do my job better. However,  I do have a lot of time, money and some blood, sweat and tears invested in doing my best to ensure the boys in my community have a chance to be involved with units delivering a quality Cub and Boy Scout program. My father is an Eagle Scout and he was my Scoutmaster. I am an Eagle Scout, as are both of my sons. I have a lot of years invested in BSA. 

I am insulted when people new to Scouting take a condescending tone and are dismissive of my experience. 

Edited by an_old_DC
clarity
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

::Tap tap::

Is this thing on?

Let's please stop with the personal commentary, including debates over what other people meant by a post, or whether other people should take offense at something, or what other people should or might learn in the future, or anything like that, and just discuss the issues.

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, RememberSchiff said:

Speaking of which, I heard a rumor of an updated YPT and Den Chief training coming this spring. Anyone else hear about this?

I have not heard about Den Chief. New YPT will need to be taken annually (rather than every two years) and will take over one hour to complete.

7 minutes ago, an_old_DC said:

I have not heard about Den Chief. New YPT will need to be taken annually (rather than every two years) and will take over one hour to complete.

Quadruple the time commitment for YPT? Yeah, that'll increase participation. Might mollify some helicopters, but even  choppers can only hover for so long.