OFFICIAL NEWS RELEASE: Girls as Youth Members, All Programs

• Replies 897
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm glad the board made this decision. It is the right one, for our youth and for the future of Scouting. If some COs and leaders can't adjust to modern life, so be it. The Scouts will be just fine, r

I became Eagle shortly after you (1978).  When I joined, the old requirements were still in place, and I earned Second Class under them.  I had about half the requirements for First Class done when th

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Nope, this argument is the straw man. Boy Scouts is for boys. So a member of an organization for boys -- that has been for boys only for over 100 years -- has a very valid argument aski

What I find interesting is that girls will be admitted to Cub Scouts in the "2018 program year" (question: Does the "program year" start in January, or September?) but the new girls' Boy Scout-age program "will be announced in 2018 and projected to be available in 2019."  

The program year runs June 1 - May 31.

Think of the implications of summer camp or troop camp outs. “They’re peeping in my tent!†Or the parents who quip back with “what do you mean she can’t wear a bikini to waterfront - don’t body shame her!†

Some things we don't have to deal with currently are going to become an issue. The lack of gender sensitivities and politics are why I want my boys in the program. Let them be themselves and figure THAT out and deal with the advanced stuff later when they have a foundation to build on. Thanks to the BSA for creating a minefield out of a safety zone.

Also not sure how this is going to help families with boys and girls to participate at the same time except for Pack meetings.  The pack in our area have den meetings on all different nights, so unless the siblings are twins or in the same grade, they wouldn't have meetings on the same night anyway.  I assume some packs have all den meetings on the same night, but don't see it working in our area.

Seriously? This is really happening? Have they redesigned the program to fit the needs of girls? How will young men and boys not be left behind - much like they are school - they learn differently! So many studies prove this.

Think of the implications of summer camp or troop camp outs. “They’re peeping in my tent!†Or the parents who quip back with “what do you mean she can’t wear a bikini to waterfront - don’t body shame her!†So you have a co-ed Troop. Just like venturing for 2 Deep Leadership (minimum 1 leader each gender) What happens on the first campout where you have a leader drop out last minute - if you had 3 adults (2M & 1 F or 2F & 1-M). Does that mean that one gender doesn’t get to go? Or do you cancel for everyone?

Just like the increase in fees - no heads up from council before it’s announced nationally. as to how leaders are to respond to the questions we will all get from parents in the next few weeks/months. I guess it’s weird to think they would get info to the volunteers that essentially run the program - because other than give us some flyers for recruitment and process paperwork we fill out - our council doesn’t do much for us.

Everything you've mentioned here (including the parts you deleted after editing your post) have been well thought out. There's a lot of folks who'd be happy to offer advice, guidance and suggestions to alleviate your concerns.  This forum has more than a decade's worth of history on the topic.  

• Upvote 2

The more bullcrap that's spun is this is supposed to make scouting more acessible to families...So how are single gender troops or packs supposed to make it more accessible to faimilies..Parents are still going to be running to two different places at two different times for two different troop meetings or den meetings or whatever. It's no more faimily accessible then the girl whos on the girls basketball team and the boy who is on the boys basketball team..Our rec league has both teams, just beacuse the pay the same league for both kids doesn't make it any easier to get their kids to games and practices..Unless it's co-ed...Which is what it will become regardless of what the bullcrap artists at national say...and that bull crap rolls right downhill to the council. Should be an interesting roundtable meeting tonight. 

• Upvote 3

Yes, it is local option.  This was in the BSA's official statement:

IMO, I think officially "local option" will require pre-conditions. Rather than the nonsense of staff and train months later in time for re-charter, it  will be done before a unit can locally opt to be coed.

My $0.02

What I find interesting is that girls will be admitted to Cub Scouts in the "2018 program year" (question: Does the "program year" start in January, or September?) but the new girls' Boy Scout-age program "will be announced in 2018 and projected to be available in 2019."  I believe that in the famous video, CSE Surbaugh said this is what they would NOT do; he said the change in Cub Scouts membership would NOT be implemented until a new program was in place for the girl-Webelos to cross over to.  My interpretation of this is that National is really anxious to start signing up girls for Cub Scouts but they realized it was going to take some time to work out the logistics of an entirely new program - even if it is identical to Boy Scouts in program, advancement, etc., and the reference to Eagle suggests that that may be the plan.  Also notice the word "projected", which means they will TRY to have the program implemented in 2019.  Projections have a way of changing over time.

It also gives the GSUSA some breathing space to make some decisions.  The tone of the announcement suggests the BSA agrees there's value in preserving single-gender programs, which has been the GSUSA's primary objection to the BSA's forays.  With this announcement the GSUSA should think seriously about the BSA's offer to partner.  Their days are numbered.

Same problem here. Can't even get help to run the existing program, much less additional ones.

Any idea if the local option will be available for this change as it was for previous ones? Give them the option of units that want to retain the status quo.

That's the only hope of retaining enough volunteers that don't want to get entangled in the the morass of mixed sex required leadership elements. 

Ugh.

While the handwriting for this decision has been on the wall for the longest time, I can't see how they are going to run a "Separate" program for the older girls. It's a truism that we are already short of volunteers to staff existing units, but to add a whole new structure? This will be the rub.

I am not against this idea, but in my neck of the woods, Venturing hasn't taken off, in fact, there are no units in my district, and only three that I know of in the council. So the question will be, where will these "Girl" Cub Scouts go when they're ready to cross over in 2019? I just wish that the complete plan of what will happen in 2019 would have been in place before announcing this decision.

Just to be clear, this is NOT a decision to allow girls into Boy Scout troops.  I understand that some here believe that will be the result, or the "second step", or whatever, but the fact remains that the BSA is setting up a separate, parallel program for Boy Scout-age girls, in which they can earn Eagle.

What I find interesting is that girls will be admitted to Cub Scouts in the "2018 program year" (question: Does the "program year" start in January, or September?) but the new girls' Boy Scout-age program "will be announced in 2018 and projected to be available in 2019."  I believe that in the famous video, CSE Surbaugh said this is what they would NOT do; he said the change in Cub Scouts membership would NOT be implemented until a new program was in place for the girl-Webelos to cross over to.  My interpretation of this is that National is really anxious to start signing up girls for Cub Scouts but they realized it was going to take some time to work out the logistics of an entirely new program - even if it is identical to Boy Scouts in program, advancement, etc., and the reference to Eagle suggests that that may be the plan.  Also notice the word "projected", which means they will TRY to have the program implemented in 2019.  Projections have a way of changing over time.

I hope in 2019 it isn't different troops for genders.  I guess we need to wait for that clarity.

• Upvote 1

My personal challenge to every person that supports this decision - go out and recruit AT LEAST one new volunteer (preferably female) to make this inclusion a success.

We asked for this, now let us support it. Take ownership of the success, or the failure.

30% of my leaders are female already so we are ready

"Whether You Think You Can…Or Whether You Think You Can’t…You’re Right!" -- Attributed to Henry Ford

If you want to find a way to deliver the Scouting program to those who wish to participate, you'll find a way.

If you don't want to, you'll find an excuse for not doing so.

Same as it's always been.

And we will--if my CO and Pack parents (and eventually Troop parents) want program that includes girls, that's what will be provided.  We'll just have to make it work the the youth and adult participation that we get, and how we make it happen in practice may not be exactly how it looks on paper.

• Upvote 2