Jump to content

Cleveland Rocks

  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

45 Excellent

About Cleveland Rocks

  • Rank
    Junior Member
  • Birthday 10/25/1970

Profile Information

  • Gender
  • Location
    Broadview Heights, Ohio
  • Occupation
    IT Manager

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. Cleveland Rocks

    Solutions to letters falling off?

    This was recently discussed on a forum on Facebook, and someone from the Supply Division on there said that if you contact them (I believe at the 800 number) they will mail you patch strips for free as replacements for as many shirts as you need them for. The patch strips have embroidered lettering instead of the iron-on type they had on these.
  2. Absolutely. There will be Scouts (and some adults) set up on every free piece of grass, picnic table and open spot you can think of doing trading. Trading is quite brisk in the camping areas, too, but of course that's off limits to visitors. Scouts would haul out their cots and set up on the service roads along the campsites to do their trading. Check out the lower portion of the Consol Energy Bridge, where there were good spots for trading during the '13 and '17 NSJs. A lot of trading also took place at the Scott Summit Center, but there were areas there where trading was not allowed to take place, to give people an opportunity to sit and relax without the barrage of patch trading. Trading will likely be different than at the NSJs, since trading in countries outside the U.S. tend to trade a lot more neckerchiefs and uniforms than they do patches. That's not to say there won't be lots of patch trading, just that the internationals do a lot more with neckers and uniforms. We've advised our Scouts to not bring a uniform with anything on it that they wouldn't want to part with in a trade. In other words, don't bring your everyday field uniform, because you might end up trading it.
  3. Cleveland Rocks

    Why was Jamboree Split in 1973

    According to a New York Times story in 1973: "Scout officials felt that travel time to a single national jamboree was too long for many scouts and their families. And, in past years, some scouts were turned away from jamborees because the sites were full."
  4. Cleveland Rocks

    What is the proper term now?

    You could also maybe change the sentence to say something like, "You are no longer a Cub Scout. Welcome to Scouts BSA," or "Your journey in Cub Scouts has come to an end. Welcome to your new journey in Scouts BSA." It would seem weird, sentence-wise, to say, "You are no longer a Cub Scout; you are now a Scout."
  5. Cleveland Rocks

    Snow Days?

    Here in Ohio, there was a change made a few years ago where instead of requiring students to be in school for a specified number of days, they have switched to hours. School districts have built in so many extra hours into the school days, that you'd have to be out of school for at least a month before you'd have to make up any time. Ohio used to give 5 "calamity days" (to be used for anything, not just weather) but since switching to the hours-based approach, those calamity days have gone away. You just now need to be in school a specified number of hours during the year. And now that so many schools plan ahead for this by providing "blizzard bags" when they know there's a good chance for school to be called off due to weather, that that has cut down on the number of actual missed time. That and the fact that many school districts provide students with laptops, they can continue to do work from home, even on snow days. I can't recall any school districts around here that have had to make up days since they switched to the hours structure.
  6. Our Troop at Summer Camp has our first-year Scouts work on Leatherwork MB in camp, as we have an ASM who is a registered counselor for that badge. He spends more time on it than the group offering that the camp has and the Scouts tend to enjoy it more, we've found. We used to also offer Wood Carving MB in camp as we had a registered counselor for that badge as well, but that ASM has retired so we don't offer that in the campsite anymore. But it was very popular and well-enjoyed by the Scouts. They would each make a walking staff as one of their projects. Scouts still bring those staffs with them wherever they go. My son entered his at the County Fair the year he made his at Summer Camp, and took home a blue ribbon. We also have the first-years work on other badges we're confident they will be able to complete during the week, so we work with them to schedule badges such as Art, Basketry, and Sculpture. If they're a strong swimmer, they could take Swimming, if they'd like. Other badges we will work with them on whether it would be appropriate or not as a first-year Summer Camper. For example, we might discourage an 85-pound 11-year-old from taking, say, Shotgun Shooting, because they might have trouble with the heaviness of the gun and dealing with the recoil, unless they could demonstrate that they'd be okay with it. As others have noted above, we also tend to discourage all our Scouts from taking First Aid at Summer Camp, because the group setting makes it difficult to devote the individual attention this badge requires. As we tell our Scouts and their parents, this is one badge that we give greater scrutiny to because it's one life skill you will learn that could very well save someone's life. And while merit badges at summer camp are not the be-all-end-all, it has reached the point, unfortunately, where you see a lot of scrutiny from families expecting their Scout to come home with merit badges, because they see it as a justification for the hundreds of dollars they're paying to send their Scouts to camp.
  7. Cleveland Rocks

    Irate potential cubmaster

    Time to run this further up the food chain. I think you, your COR and your Chartered Organization head should contact your Council Executive and make that person aware of what is happening, and that this is happening with the blessing of one of their unit commissioners. There's no "dismissing" necessary. This person is not a registered adult, so there is no dismissal that needs to take place. And yes, you are correct, Scouts are not permitted to operate power tools per the Guide to Safe Scouting, "Age Guidelines for Tool Use and Work at Elevations or Excavations." You must be 18 or older to operate power saws and other power cutting tools, and 14 or older for most other power tools.
  8. Cleveland Rocks

    Irate potential cubmaster

    Regardless of whether you or anyone else signs this application--and you'd have to be off your rockers at this point if you did that--this application won't make it past the registrar's desk, for reasons that you mentioned in your original post. This person refuses to sign the religious principles declaration, he refuses to authorize a background check, and has admitted there are some issues that would potentially preclude his application from being accepted. That alone should make things a non-starter. The mistake, I think, happened, when you called a committee meeting, then had this person take over the meeting, dismiss the committee, and run the show. You need to remember that YOU are in charge. Always will be, even after you get a Cubmaster. The Committee Chair and the Chartered Organization Rep are the two who are in charge of the unit. You have the ultimate authority over the hiring and firing. And I don't think it would be a good idea to have his girlfriend become the Cubmaster, because we all know she will just be the puppet Cubmaster with the boyfriend calling all the shots.
  9. Cleveland Rocks

    Irate potential cubmaster

    You as CC and the COR are both responsible for approving all adult leaders in your unit. Since you're both on the same page that this person should not be your CM, and it sounds like there are some red flags that would pop up on a background check, this should be a short meeting. You need to let this person know that their services are no longer needed. Inform your DE and unit commissioner of your decision. But ultimately the decision is all on you. Your council will let you know that this is a matter between you, your chartered organization, and the individual who wants to be your Cubmaster. They still, though, need to be kept in the loop on what is transpiring. The council would get involved only if this application ever made its way to the registrar's desk with all that missing information. Because this person has not had his application approved by you and the COR, submitted to council, or had a background check passed, he should not be at meetings attempting to perform the duties of a Cubmaster. His actions alone should disqualify him: he refused to sign the religious principles declaration, refuses to authorize a background check, and I'd be willing to bet he hasn't taken YPT. He needs to be informed that his services are no longer needed.
  10. Cleveland Rocks

    Scouting for Food - checking expiration dates?

    We sort through the donations our troop collects for SfF before we deliver it to the food bank. We separate out all the expired items, and we also sort it all into boxes by food type (all the canned peas in one box, all the creamed corn in another, etc.) The food bank we work with says they cannot distribute anything to people with an expiration past today. If the expiration date is 30 days past, they said they can set it out for anyone to take, but they cannot legally distribute it (so if we were doing it today, October 22, they could not set out anything for people to pick through with an expiration past November 22). It's my understanding that all the food banks in our area operate the same way with respect to expiration dates. We still do door-to-door pickups in our town, and unfortunately it seems to often be an excuse for people to just empty their pantries, even though we put on the flyers in big bold letters, "UNEXPIRED". Most years, anywhere from 25-33% of what we collect cannot go to the food bank because it's expired. Our Scouts have an unofficial contest every year to see who can find the oldest expired item in what we've collected. We've had some items with expiration dates that were 15-20 years old. We've gotten canned items with grocery store price stickers still on them from grocery stores that closed years ago. We've been finding out--and noting it on the flyers we distribute--that the food banks would much better prefer to receive cash donations in lieu of actual food donations. That has worked out well, and we continue to get more and more every year in monetary donations. The food banks will tell you that they then don't have to worry about expiration dates, the quality of the items donated (they can only use so many boxes of mac-and-cheese), and with their buying power they can stretch those dollars very well and get a lot of what is really needed for the needy.
  11. Our troop is chartered to a Catholic church. Diocesan policy requires that any youth volunteer in a parish that has direct contact with children more than 3 times a month (teachers, CYO coaches, Scout leaders, etc.) has to take VIRTUS training (the Catholic church's version of YPT) and has to undergo a fingerprint and background check. And even if you had that exact same fingerprint and background check done for another organization (I have to do it as a volunteer at my kids' school), you have to do it again for the church.
  12. Cleveland Rocks

    Transition from Whittling to Totin (knife use)

    We do not automatically award Scout at crossover, because the Scouts don't know the material. I have no idea how they got the stuff signed off as Webelos Scouts, but when they join our Troop, it's amazing how many of them do not know the Scout Oath and Law (despite the fact that it's been part of the Cub Scout program since 2015), and they don't know the knots. That's just the beginning. If they simply demonstrated their knowledge after joining as the requirements state, that's one thing. But these Scouts are joining and we have to spend the first few weeks going over all the stuff they should have known for the Scouting Adventure achievement. When we cover this material with them, they look at us like we're speaking a foreign language. Clearly the Webelos Den Leaders are simply pencil whipping these requirements (we know this because when we sign their handbooks as Webelos stating that they have met with us as part of the AoL requirements, their handbooks are as blank as the day they bought them--our signatures are the first ones in their handbooks), and we've had discussions with the Cubmasters about it, but in the end, there's not a whole lot we can do about it until they join our troop and spend time working on things that they should have already done.
  13. Cleveland Rocks

    Badge Magic is THE DEVIL!!!

    Take it to the dry cleaners. I have done that with uniform shirts that had Badge Magic applied to them. Bring a mesh laundry bag and tell them to dry clean the shirt in the laundry bag. The bag will catch the patches as they fall off. This is actually in the instructions for Badge Magic on how to remove patches and adhesive if you want to start over on a shirt. I've done this with a number of uniform shirts and they've all come out fine. The perchlorate used in standard dry cleaning dissolves the adhesive used in Badge Magic. It works better than Goo Gone. Not every dry cleaner is willing to do this, though. Some have refused saying that they don't want the liability if it doesn't come out good. I usually tell them that (a) the shirt is already unwearable as is, so they couldn't possibly do anything worse, and (b) the Badge Magic manufacturer recommends this procedure.
  14. Cleveland Rocks

    Lifetime of Leadership - new Girl Scout ad campaign

    Yes, the Girl Scouts views it as a recognition of their "highest award". They had a big celebration in 2016 to mark the 100th anniversary of the Gold Award and all its predecessors (although they just called it the "Gold Award 100th Anniversary"). All the logos had the current Gold Award with the number 100 next to it. They view the Gold Award as a progression of the highest Girl Scout award over the years: 1916-1919 Golden Eagle of Merit 1919-1939 Golden Eaglet 1940-1963 Curved Bar 1938-1940 & 1963-1980 First Class 1980-present Gold Award In 1990 a proposal was approved that would keep the name as the Gold Award in perpetuity. So maybe someone realized they should stop changing the name every 20 years or so...
  15. Cleveland Rocks

    Lifetime of Leadership - new Girl Scout ad campaign

    The point they were making was that there is no "submit your paperwork to National" for the Gold Award like we do for Eagle Scout. It's all handled at the council level. Some councils keep the paperwork on file of those that earn the Gold Award, others do not. But that's why you can't contact GSUSA headquarters to ask for verification of earning the Gold Award--they don't even know you earned it.