can't believe nobody has said it yet...

invite them to join in the conversation here!

I got hooked on forums as a way to learn about interests or hobbies a long time ago.  I value what I have learned here very much.

I've been exposed to a lot more in depth info and different view points here than I ever had form my fellow scouter in my unit or at round tables.

I'm pretty sure it was here where I read tips such as

ask the SPL or PL who is running the meeting for permission to do anything in the meeting, or better wait until invited to speak.

also that the only thing a SM should really say during a troop mtg is the scoutmaster minute

these might be exaggerated, or maybe not, but I think they really help set the tone or illustrate "boy led" really means

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Know where to find the official information to counter act all of the myths & rumors.   @@Krampus has a pretty good list.  Ask for help should go along with accept help.

Gold Bond is my friend.

Scouts timed me. Best I ever did was 1 minute 32 seconds. But I started out about 7 minutes. I learned to watch the new scouts to see what worked and what didn't because the experienced scouts will po

I'm with KenD and Krampus, know all the written rules and materials; if you can manage the adults the boys will take care of themselves.

The other piece of advice I have is make allies of your parents, you have in your care the thing that is more precious to them than their own lives, never forget that and remember it is a grave privilege and graver responsibility.

• Know the GTSS.
  • Know the GTA.
  • Know the age appropriate guidelines matrix.
  • Read the SM guide.
  • Read the Field Book.
  • Be able to demonstrate the trail to First Class skills.
  • Read up on the patrol method.
  • Know the troop roles and what they do.
  • Know the advancement path.
  • Wear the uniform correctly and at the right times.
  • Step in and volunteer at camp to cook, clean, set-up. Show them what a leader is.
  • First one up, last one to bed.
  • Follow the rules even when you don't want to.
  • Set the example. This may mean there's a Scoutmaster You and Real You. 
  • Accept help.
  • Delegate.
  • Know when too much is too much.
  • GET TRAINED....take every course you can. You will always learn something.
  • Have fun...when it stops being fun it is time to leave.

Too much...

Adding to SSScout, most effective Scoutmaster Minutes are short (2 minute max), dramatic, adventurous, or humorous.

Barry

A ScoutMaster Minute that lasts 2 minutes?  You sound a bit long winded there, Barry.  :)

• Upvote 1

Know your job description and stay in your swim lane. An SM has a job. The CC and Committee have jobs. Don't confuse them. Don't try to be a one man show.

Exactly.

For ASMs, don't stay in your swim lane. Help whenever and wherever you can.

A ScoutMaster Minute that lasts 2 minutes?  You sound a bit long winded there, Barry.  :)

Scouts timed me. Best I ever did was 1 minute 32 seconds. But I started out about 7 minutes. I learned to watch the new scouts to see what worked and what didn't because the experienced scouts will politely appear to listen. Young scouts have little patience and don't mind showing it. 

Barry

• Upvote 2

Sorry.  I just looked in.  Getting ready for training tomorrow.  You could always tell them wheat the Patrol Method is.  

I believe:

Sorry.  I just looked in.  Getting ready for training tomorrow.  You could always tell them wheat the Patrol Method is.  

1. The patrol is the context within which the Scout primarily experiences Boy Scouting.  

2. A “patrol†is a smalllargely self-selected  team of friends led by the leader they select in carrying out Scouting program that they help plan

3. The Troop is the youth-led “league†in which patrol teams play the “game†of Boy Scouting beyond the single patrol.  The troop exists for the administrative convenience of patrols.

4. Adults insure that Scouts have a safe place in which to play the game of Scouting and act as leadership trainers, Scoutcraft trainers as required, resources, coaches, counselors, and mentors.  To the extent that adults lead, are leaders, they lead by example and through youth leaders.

Edited by TAHAWK