So...

I'm teaching SM Specific Training this weekend. The Syllabus is ok, but could use some personal insider info. I'm developing my own course with the syllabus as a guide, because reading from the syllabus and lecturing is lame.

I'm turning to the smartest, most experience group of Scouters I know, and that means YOU!!

​So:

What's one thing you wish you knew before you became a Scoutmaster or ASM?

What's advice do you have for a new SM or ASM?

Anything else @@TAHAWK, what do you think should be added to the syllabus? What is it missing?

Thanks for your thoughts, criticisms, tidbits and advice:

Sentinel947

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Know where to find the official information to counter act all of the myths & rumors.   @@Krampus has a pretty good list.  Ask for help should go along with accept help.

Gold Bond is my friend.

Scouts timed me. Best I ever did was 1 minute 32 seconds. But I started out about 7 minutes. I learned to watch the new scouts to see what worked and what didn't because the experienced scouts will po

• Know the GTSS.

Know the GTA.

Know the age appropriate guidelines matrix.

Read the SM guide.

Read the Field Book.

Be able to demonstrate the trail to First Class skills.

Read up on the patrol method.

Know the troop roles and what they do.

Know the advancement path.

Wear the uniform correctly and at the right times.

Step in and volunteer at camp to cook, clean, set-up. Show them what a leader is.

First one up, last one to bed.

Follow the rules even when you don't want to.

Set the example. This may mean there's a Scoutmaster You and Real You. 

Accept help.

Delegate.

Know when too much is too much.

GET TRAINED....take every course you can. You will always learn something.

Have fun...when it stops being fun it is time to leave.

• Upvote 1

great question I think!

I'll prob have more thoughts after this weekend because I'm signed up for SM specific at our U of Scouting

but really not much, as I have no experience in scoutmastership, only some book learnin'

but I'll say this.

in my research these last bunch of months trying to get up to speed to help at the troop

I've read a couple things that I would suggest any SM or ASM read (or re-read), even experienced Scoutmasters

Aids to Scoutmastership

for grounding in the fundamental concepts

and

So Far, So Good! A New Scoutmaster's Story

The author wrote this with exactly your question in mind.  After 30 years of being SM, how would he do it if he was starting over, but knowing what he knows now....

Know where to find the official information to counter act all of the myths & rumors.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

THIS!!!!!

I would say that a good 40% of what I was told my first year was essentially myths and legend. For example, what constitutes the polar bear award. Don't laugh, but in my area (@@KenD500 and I are in the same council) it is two nights below 32F, ice forms in a cup left out, etc. The RUMOR was that it had to be FIVE nights. Went a year before I checked Google and found out the rumor was dead wrong.

Google is the SM's best friend!! 

What's advice do you have for a new SM or ASM?

If you use the boy-led, patrol-method approach, you will be less likely to burn out.  You need to pace yourself.  If you do all the work, you won't be much good to anyone 5 years down the road.  It's their program, let them run it.

"Train 'em. Trust 'em. LET THEM LEAD!"  William "Green Bar Bill" Hillcourt.

When  I did SM specific last year, for every part of the syllabus I used a BP or Green Bar Bill quote as an intro. Syllabus does not do enough of a good job in regards to patrol method, planning etc.  I used other resources, including older sources, to get the information the information I thought was vital to being an SM or ASM.

Finally I told them to go to Roundtables, make friends with SMs and UCs who have "been there, done that," and get some mentoring and advising from them when needed.

• Upvote 1

"Train 'em. Trust 'em. LET THEM LEAD!"  William "Green Bar Bill" Hillcourt.

When  I did SM specific last year, for every part of the syllabus I used a BP or Green Bar Bill quote as an intro. Syllabus does not do enough of a good job in regards to patrol method, planning etc.  I used other resources, including older sources, to get the information the information I thought was vital to being an SM or ASM.

I did the same thing for my course. That course was eight hours back then, so I divided it over two days.

Barry

Boy scouts is all about scouts learning to make decisions so never solve a problem a scout can and never make a decision a scout can. Also, set clear boundaries as to who makes what decisions and make sure everyone knows them and everyone defends those boundaries (scouts adults and parents).

Separation.

Trust goes both ways between scouts and adults. It takes time and is fragile.

The new syllabus was cut back from the old one because folks were complaining about the length of time.  A lot of the old syllabus was included because nascent SMs need to know stuff.

My favorite thing to include?    Let the Scouts (encourage the Scouts!)  plan and execute the Troop meeting, but ALWAYS the SM should do his SM minute at the end to wrap things up.   I see many Troops that merely march the flags back down the hall, and that's it. Good bye.  Close the meeting with something meaningful.  A friendship circle.  A SM minute.  A short "God Speed".,  Make the ending an Ending. 

Thought of somethings covered above under a general category.

I wish I had known about what's "required" for various outdoor program activities. Such as WRFA being required for certain activities. How to become an RSO/Instructor. Things like this matter for safety and insurance. ;)