Neckerchief Other Than With The Uniform

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Skip, can confirm, but most the continentals tie the tails of their necker in a "friendship knot" which I suspect is what Wills did with his.  The knot is impossible to describe, but here are instruct

I am not sure that it has been noted, but the current version of the Guide to Awards and Insignia authorizes wearing the troop neckerchief with clothing other than the uniform when the wearer is engag

I didn't have one of the fully square neckers, but always had to wear the one we had because it was part of your personal first aid kit. Almost all the differsnt areas hands, arms, legs, feet, and eve

Posted Images

....and the Agreed, particularly in the eyes of the public. However if wearing uniform the other world wide commonality should be the purple 'world membership' fleur de lis and reef knot badge.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Scout_Emblem

As part of every scout's uniform, the necker goes back to the  beginning of Scouting, all generations. The World Crest is relatively new for the BSA.

For a long time in the US, a scout/scouter could not wear the World Crest unless he had completed "international" scouting requirements such as attending a World Jamboree. That is why you rarely see the World Crest on old BSA uniforms, see neckers though.

I think that policy changed in the 1990's when it became available to all US scouts to add to their uniforms. As I recall, it was slow to catch on. Now I see more scout uniforms with World Crests than with neckers. :( 

http://www.scoutinsignia.com/wcrest.htm

My $0.02

As part of every scout's uniform, the necker goes back to the  beginning of Scouting, all generations. The World Crest is relatively new for the BSA.

For a long time in the US, a scout/scouter could not wear the World Crest unless he had completed "international" scouting requirements such as attending a World Jamboree. That is why you rarely see the World Crest on old BSA uniforms, see neckers though.

I think that policy changed in the 1990's when it became available to all US scouts to add to their uniforms. As I recall, it was slow to catch on. Now I see more scout uniforms with World Crests than with neckers. :(

My $0.02

+1!

My $0.02

In the UK we strangely have it the other way around.

Everyone wears the purple world badge, but only those who have done an international event can wear the UK badge. I never did quite get why it was that way round! The pre 1990s BSA rules make more sense to me.

In the UK we strangely have it the other way around.

Everyone wears the purple world badge, but only those who have done an international event can wear the UK badge. I never did quite get why it was that way round! The pre 1990s BSA rules make more sense to me.

As I understand British scouts earn their World Crest (Membership) patch. Here it is just a World Scouting fundraiser badge, Americans buy it for a couple of dollars. National sends $.10 to WASM.

Here:

$2 and it's yours.

Over there:

https://members.scouts.org.uk/supportresources/4341/membership-award/?cat=7,64,177&moduleID=10

How to earn your badge

1. Know about the Scout Troop:
    • Get to know other members and Leaders in the Patrol and Troop.
    • Find out about the ceremonies and traditions in the Troop.
    • Find out about the activities that the Patrol and Troop does.
  2. Know about joining your Troop:
    • Learn and understand the Scout Promise and Law and the rules of the Troop.
    • Learn and understand the Scout Motto, sign, salute and handshake.
    • Show you know the general history and family of Scouts and Scouting around the world.
    • Learn what to do at Investiture.
  3. Become a Scout by making the Promise.

Got me thinking, maybe the BSA should do the same here and drop the Scout rank badge.

All very interesting.

Yes, in the UK the world badge is part of joining the troop as an invested scout - 'you are joining the world wide family of Scouts as well as this troop'. I rather like the emphasis on worldwide family.

The UK / union flag is only worn if you are, or have been overseas with scouting.

• Upvote 1

As I understand British scouts earn their World Crest (Membership) patch. Here it is just a World Scouting fundraiser badge, Americans buy it for a couple of dollars. National sends $.10 to WASM.

Here:

$2 and it's yours.

Over there:

https://members.scouts.org.uk/supportresources/4341/membership-award/?cat=7,64,177&moduleID=10

How to earn your badge

1. Know about the Scout Troop:
    • Get to know other members and Leaders in the Patrol and Troop.
    • Find out about the ceremonies and traditions in the Troop.
    • Find out about the activities that the Patrol and Troop does.
  2. Know about joining your Troop:
    • Learn and understand the Scout Promise and Law and the rules of the Troop.
    • Learn and understand the Scout Motto, sign, salute and handshake.
    • Show you know the general history and family of Scouts and Scouting around the world.
    • Learn what to do at Investiture.
  3. Become a Scout by making the Promise.

Got me thinking, maybe the BSA should do the same here and drop the Scout rank badge.

I wouldn't call that earned as such. Fact is those are the things that people would do when they join something new anyway, find out who everyone is, how it's structured and what everyone does!

Typically it is given, along with county, district and group badges, to the scout as part of their investiture.

RS, it seems unlikely the Scout badge will be dropped, considering they just expanded the requirements for it. It is not the "joining badge" any more. (As of Jan. 1)

So we have an unnecessary Scout rank badge and a unearned World Crest badge.

IMO, it would better to move the Scout joining requirements to World Crest and have our scouts earn it instead of just buy it. Move the other Scout requirements back to Tenderfoot where they belong.  Thrifty common sense.

My $0.02

Edited by RememberSchiff
  • Upvote 1

My $0.02

August 1, 1989 to be exact. I remember riding on a bus in Canada being told about the change and how a lot fo folks who had not earned it yet were ticked off. heck a few of us who did have it were ticked off. Leaders made it up to use by issuing the Canadian version, which had a velvet background, to us.

EDITED:  The reason it's not earned is WOSM wants one emblem to show the worldwide brotherhood of Scouting, and the world crest was it. All members; Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, Varsity Scouts, Venturers, and nowSea Scouts (for whatever reason the 2012 manual still does not include it, but hte New Century Uniform does).

Edited by Eagle94-A1

I hope a decent paragraph about neckers without field uniforms makes its way into the handbooks.

Mike Walton (the "Black Eagle", curator of the uniform site) is in the middle of several updates to the official uniform and insignia guide if you want to put a bug in his ear. His contact info is on his site (just Google him).

Mike Walton (the "Black Eagle", curator of the uniform site) is in the middle of several updates to the official uniform and insignia guide if you want to put a bug in his ear. His contact info is on his site (just Google him).

Love Mike's stuff!

But, I'm not so interested in seeing it in the insignia guide.

The necker-wearing suggestions should be part of the Boy Scout Handbook. That is the first set of instructions that boys and their parents read.