Neckerchief Other Than With The Uniform

I am not sure that it has been noted, but the current version of the Guide to Awards and Insignia authorizes wearing the troop neckerchief with clothing other than the uniform when the wearer is engaged in a Scouting activity.

When engaged in Scouting activities, members may wear the neckerchief with appropriate non-uniform clothing to identify them as Scouts.

Wearing the neckerchief other than as part of the uniform was previously specifically prohibited.

This change brings B.S.A. into line with most other Scouting associations.

The neckerchief rules remain otherwise as opaque as ever.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Skip, can confirm, but most the continentals tie the tails of their necker in a "friendship knot" which I suspect is what Wills did with his.  The knot is impossible to describe, but here are instruct

I am not sure that it has been noted, but the current version of the Guide to Awards and Insignia authorizes wearing the troop neckerchief with clothing other than the uniform when the wearer is engag

I didn't have one of the fully square neckers, but always had to wear the one we had because it was part of your personal first aid kit. Almost all the differsnt areas hands, arms, legs, feet, and eve

Posted Images

I have no idea, but I suspect there was some push for BSA to change.  I have read posts arguing that the neckerchief, world-wide, is THE symbol of Scouting.

I noticed one troop at summer camp with "Class B" of a troop T-shirt and the troop neckerchief.   Looked fine to me, and one could pick out those Scouts across the widest field in camp.

I have no idea, but I suspect there was some push for BSA to change.  I have read posts arguing that the neckerchief, world-wide, is THE symbol of Scouting.

I noticed one troop at summer camp with "Class B" of a troop T-shirt and the troop neckerchief.   Looked fine to me, and one could pick out those Scouts across the widest field in camp.

First of all getting the boys to wear a necker WITH the uniform is difficult.  Getting them to wear a necker WITHOUT the uniform?  I don't see it happening.

As far as the neckers being visible from a distance?  Why do you think my troop has blaze orange neckers?  :)

Well, here is a photo of Prince William of the U.K. wearing a suit and tie and neckerchief (though not of the style I am familiar with) while attending the opening of the World Jamboree in 2007. (He's not actually a Scout as far as I know, but it's close enough. One of the older members of the royal family is the president of the UK Scout Association and William was apparently there in a supporting role.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_William,_Duke_of_Cambridge#Royal_duties

This is what comes of sending kids off to World Jamborees ... and that Cit in the World elective to talk to a scout from another country about his/her program. :wub:

I'm pretty sure this is to expressly stifle the parochial American "wear it right or not at all" attitude, which has its place for some things, but not others.

I hope a decent paragraph about neckers without field uniforms makes its way into the handbooks.

It might catch on here in The Colonies if we go back to a functional neckerchief--a full square when unfolded, made of a natural, absorbant, comfortable material, and dispense with the parade-ground obsession of rolling it up perfectly.   

I caught an old BSA full-square neckerchief on the auction site a few years ago, for just a few bucks.   It is really nice.  

Edited by desertrat77

It might catch on here in The Colonies if we go back to a functional neckerchief--a full square when unfolded, made of a natural, absorbant, comfortable material, and dispense with the parade-ground obsession of rolling it up perfectly.   

I caught an old BSA full-square neckerchief on the auction site a few years ago, for just a few bucks.   It is really nice.  

I didn't have one of the fully square neckers, but always had to wear the one we had because it was part of your personal first aid kit. Almost all the differsnt areas hands, arms, legs, feet, and even used as sling. The necker was your personal triangular bandage.

• Upvote 1

I didn't have one of the fully square neckers, but always had to wear the one we had because it was part of your personal first aid kit. Almost all the differsnt areas hands, arms, legs, feet, and even used as sling. The necker was your personal triangular bandage.

Eagle77, I agree, we were taught the same and always had a neckerchief.   I first heard about the full square ones on this forum several years ago, and when I had the chance to get one cheap, I said "what the heck."   Glad I did.

Not sure when neckerchiefs started falling into disuse, but I don't see them much any more.   Maybe with the new uniform in the early '80s...they all had collars, and it just wasn't the same.

Edited by desertrat77

Eagle77, I agree, we were taught the same and always had a neckerchief.   I first heard about the full square ones on this forum several years ago, and when I had the chance to get one cheap, I said "what the heck."   Glad I did.

Not sure when neckerchiefs started falling into disuse, but I don't see them much any more.   Maybe with the new uniform in the early '80s...they all had collars, and it just wasn't the same.

I've seen the square ones but never actually seen them being worn by a troop of scouts. My SM told us when wearing the necker you had to tuck in your collar that made it way more comfortable. I still have a few of the collarless olive shirts that National once made. A friend of my dads gave them to him back when HQ was still in New Brunswick, NJ. Now those shirts were comforable. I was going to a troop COH as SM and I put on our troop necker, couldn't understand why everyone was looking so funny at me. Then one of the scouts said what did you do to your shirt? Force of habit I had tucked the collar under just as I had done as a scout.

• Upvote 1

If memory serves, it was 1972 and the Improved Scout Program. That was when neckerchief could be worn under an open collar, or not at all.

Don't know when they shrunk the neckers to Cub Scout size either.

Eagle94, I'm having trouble remembering...I crossed over into Boy Scouts in 1974...almost everyone wore the collarless shirts that Eagle77 mentioned.   I recall folks tucking their collars under to wear the neckerchief (if they had collars), but I can't recall if it was an unwritten custom or a rule.

I wore the collarless shirts exclusively, except for the two '50s era Explorer dark green shirts that were issued to each summer camp staff member.   This was the late 70s, and the council had a warehouse with stacks of old new stock Explorer uniforms.   What a great shirt!   We wore a neckerchief with that, even though it had a collar, but I'll be doggoned if I can remember what we did with the collar.   Guess I'm getting old.

Anyhoo, I'm all for a more functional neckerchief.   Especially worn the way they did several decades ago:   it looked like most of them just wrapped it around their neck, unrolled, put the slide on, tied a knot at the end (slip?) and hit the trail.   One troop I was in as a kid, there were times we ironed the neckerchief and spent time rolling it perfectly.   To stand inspection.   SPL comes up behind you, tugs at the top of the neckerchief behind your neck and yells "babushka!" if there was slack.   Add a nice red BSA beret to that ensemble, and some 10 lb Kmart hiking boots, and you are set.