Camping & High Adventure

Share a camping tip.

Subforums

1. Equipment Reviews & Discussions

Discussions dealing with equipment topics (tents, lights, packs, boots, stoves, etc.)

Tales of Scout cooks, prized techniques and yummy recipes for gathering around the fire.

1906 topics in this forum

1. HIGH ADVENTURE 2004 1 2 3

• 38 replies
    • 5.9k views
    • 19 replies
    • 1.5k views
  2. DoubleH Ranch

• 4 replies
    • 1 reply
    • 0 replies
    • 10 replies
    • 1.1k views
    • 4 replies
    • 1.3k views
    • 5 replies
  3. Equipment Forum

• 10 replies
  4. Mountainboarding

• 7 replies
    • 4 replies
    • 5 replies
    • 1 reply
    • 20 replies
    • 2.1k views
    • 4 replies
  • LATEST POSTS

• Where I have seen it “fail” is when you get on local roads with traffic lights. It can easily split up and cause people to either brake hard or “blow” a light. Not good stuff. 
    • May 2, 2024: "ST. LOUIS – U.S. District Judge Rodney W. Sippel on Thursday sentenced a former Boy Scout volunteer to 22 years in prison for hiding cameras in bathrooms at a St. Francois County, Missouri scout camp. Judge Sippel also ordered David Lee Nelson to pay $55,000 in special assessments that will go to a fund for victims and prevention programs and $6,810 to pay for counseling for the victims in this case. After he gets out of prison, Nelson will be on supervised release for life, with special conditions that include a prohibition against any contact with minors without permission. Nelson hid two cameras in bathrooms at the S Bar F Scout Ranch in St. Francois County in July of 2021 while working there as a volunteer. Nelson hid the cameras in paper towel dispensers, positioning them so they would capture a shower stall and other portions of the bathroom.  One camera was discovered when a scout leader and scouts were cleaning out one of the restroom stalls. A search uncovered another camera, and leaders then called the St. Francois County Sheriff’s Department. When questioned later by a sheriff’s deputy after being spotted near the bathrooms, Nelson lied and said he was looking for a cell phone charger that he’d left in the stall.  During Thursday’s hearing, victims and their parents said Nelson was supposed to be protecting the scouts and was supposed to be someone children could trust. Nelson’s crimes, they said, have now left them unable to trust others. The victims also said they now experience fear and discomfort every time they try to use a public bathroom. " ... More at source: https://www.justice.gov/usao-edmo/pr/former-boy-scout-volunteer-sentenced-22-years-prison-hiding-cameras-camp-bathrooms  
    • I don't remember the prohibition against convoying on the old tour permit but we usually only had 3 vehicles when going anywhere and we made sure everyone understood the route we were taking before setting out. The difference often being that the drive leader HAD to lead from the front rather than middle as on a hike. I suppose others would have called that convoying, we called it being aware and keeping the group together.
    • As I noted earlier, the old tour permit specifically noted no convoying or caravaning.   It was on the permit someplace and had to be noted and signed.  But, basically, as noted here everyone should know where they are going in case they get lost.  Meet up places for head count is a good idea.  Most importantly have some sort of connection other than vision to the others.  
    • convoy so that if a vehicle has a failure, we can still get the youth/adult to the train on time. And the wounded vehicle can sort out repairs later. 4.  Things happen.  Run out of gas. Bathroom stops.  5.  Lead MUST know the number of vehicles following, and MUST have a good sense, well perfect, of what the last vehicle looks like headlight wise. 6.  A written list of cell phone numbers distributed to all drivers, and if not, MUST exchange cell phone numbers to lead and tail drivers. 7.  Tail driver NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, passes the second to last driver.  The tail driver is always, ALWAYS the last driver. Some driver stops for any reason, the tail driver always remains the tail driver. The tail driver never passes any vehicle in the convoy. We have had times, rarely, where the convoy got quite spread out and the lead pulled onto the Interstate shoulder for folks to catch up.  A questionable thing to do, but depending on circumstances, traffic load, sunshine, etc., not as risky as might be thought. It is a lot to ask of the lead, but if everyone is paying attention it does work. HOWEVER, in light of the information I've learned on this thread, I have to reexamine the wisdom of convoys. (On one convoy to summer camp, a dad, once hitting the interstate, disappeared at 80-85 mph., flying past everyone.  Met up with him an hour later at the summer camp. Well beyond the speed limit.) My half cent's worth. (not pricing myself above that sage, the Remember guy…)
  • Who's Online (See full list)