Open Discussion - Program

Share Scouting Topics here.

Subforums

1. Scouts with Disabilities

Where parents and scouters go to discuss unique aspects to working with kids with special challenges.

A place to chat about Scouting's biggest gathering

9616 topics in this forum

• 10 replies
    • 1.3k views
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 10 replies
    • 2.3k views
    • 1 reply
  1. Do a Good Turn Daily

• 0 replies
  2. How to contact National

• 2 replies
  3. Role of Troop Committee

• 14 replies
    • 2.1k views
  4. How much we take for granted

• 6 replies
    • 1.2k views
    • 20 replies
    • 3k views
  5. JOTA

• 1 reply
  6. "Senior" member?

• 4 replies
    • 1.2k views
    • 2 replies
    • 1k views
  7. Back to basics

• 0 replies
    • 2 replies
    • 1.1k views
  • LATEST POSTS

• We have faced some of the same challenges During visits (AOLs were off with the scouts as we meet in the woods behind the church) our leadership discussed with the parents the various outings (gorge trip, boating, kayaking, backpacking, biking, etc);  youth led troop, servant leadership, Scouts camping away from leaders, etc etc.  As I watched the parents and listened to the few questions, my comment as we huddled after...they are not buying what we're selling.  They expect Cubs part 2 and we scare them.  Programming for 11 year olds means the youth likely leave in a year or 2.  Need to challenge and inspire.
    • Also not sure about this heading: Preparing Young People for Lives of Purpose and Impact Seems a bit vague and non definitive, more feel good than actionable.    
    • Wow, that is a capsule at best.  Guess they are being Thrifty with their output The 6% decline in Scouts (11-17) is way concerning.  As a result of that noted that Eagle Scouts are down from +/- 50K per year to under 30K per year. As was noted, we are now at 1939 membership levels.   Scouts in 1939 +/- 1,000,000 US population 1939 +/- 130,000,000 Scouts as % overall population - 0.76%   Scouts in 2024 +/- 1,000,000 US population 2024 +/- 330,000,000 Scouts as % overall population - 0.03%  
    • Waaay back when, all we cared about were counties and states.  With the later proliferation of Scout units, TPTB started dividing up the counties into Scout Districts, each with a DE to  oversee them, sign the Important Papers (remember that campfire skit? Still allowed?).  As paid Scouters and volunteer Scouters came and went,  (I worked in a government agency, and can attest to this ), they would often seek to "leave a heritage", and so would re-arrange the districts to "make things more efficient" or "more logical" or....    Since becoming an Adult Scouter, I can document living and Scouting in no fewer than 5 defined and named "districts".   I have the patches to prove the naming of at least three of these....  Same hikes, many of the same wonderful Scout friends, same campgrounds, seemingly the same Scouts, but when I pay attention, the faces do change. . Different faces, same dirty boots....   Sic Gloria Mundi. 
    • Lot of good comments Summary is the BSA (SA??) has not fully defined what it is and what they do.  When I joined way back when it was a game with a purpose, we had adventures, learned things, sampled many different hobbies and interests, and most importantly learned to work in groups and take care of ourselves.  As we matured we went from follower to leader. Over the years the BSA strayed from that to want to become the swiss army knife of youth groups.  We do everything.  Also more focus on advancement and formal learning and less emphasis on experiential learning.  1/2 the required Eagle MBs are basically classwork.  Even the action merit badges focus way more on instruction and less on doing.  Many leaders (parents) do not see the big picture.  Anecdotal but the pages of discussion on getting 20 nights camping for camping MB is case in point.  Folks spend way more time figuring our how to game the system than, well, I don't know, going camping. BSA (SA??) needs to get a clear message out of what they are DOING, action stuff.  Move away from family stuff for cubs, that is killing that group and makes Scouts harder to recruit due to that is the expectation.  Middle schoolers DO NOT want a family organization, they want adventures with their peers. We are not STEM (many groups do that better), Kids do not want more schools, and are actually not a formal leadership academy.  You know what youth soccer is successful, they focus on soccer. BSA needs to focus on a core group of things we can do well, and sell that. Quick note on social media, the BSA (SA??) National and Council feeds are horrendous.  They are really more message boards and advertisements.  Post stories of what Scouts are DOING!!  Focus on adventure to entice and dare I say tempt youth to go join.
  • Who's Online (See full list)