Open Discussion - Program

Share Scouting Topics here.

Subforums

1. Scouts with Disabilities

Where parents and scouters go to discuss unique aspects to working with kids with special challenges.

A place to chat about Scouting's biggest gathering

9259 topics in this forum

1. Cool Merit Badge site

• 0 replies
    • 0 replies
  2. Help with Ropework

• 0 replies
  3. Patrol

• 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 2 replies
    • 1k views
    • 0 replies
    • 8 replies
    • 1.3k views
  4. Website wishes

• 2 replies
    • 1k views
  5. We need links

• 0 replies
    • 1.1k views
    • 2 replies
    • 1k views
    • 1 reply
    • 1k views
    • 1 reply
    • 2 replies
    • 1.1k views
  6. Troop yearly plan.

• 1 reply
    • 1.2k views
  • LATEST POSTS

• I've been involved in Boy Scouts/ Scouts BSA since 2005. I've never heard the second verse of Scout Vespers... I didn't even know it had a second verse. I learned something today. 
    • Excellent. This is such an important topic to cover with youth. We've used the scouting YPT with our oldest since he was a Lion scout, and it's made him all the wiser.
    • When my husband was in a scout troop, they camped once a month, including the winter months. Granted it was a smaller troop, but the scoutmaster was very motivated, and if the scouts want to do multiple camps, there are normally plenty of local camps/national forests for free camping scouts can use. If the troop/patrols wish to do more than 1 camp, I think it's worth accomodating them as possible, and it doesn't need to be expensive or extensive.
    • I wanted Lif01-32almostaneagle21 but that was taken. Thank you for the welcome!
    • Does a Troop often have more than one summer camp? Obviously it depends on the Troop and factors like the age range of the Scouts, how many adults participate, how big/active the Troop is and so on.   Often, if a Troop has a second camp, it is geared more to older youth, be that a trip to a High Adventure base or just somewhere further away or with more unique activities.   We typically have one summer camp per year, but then either a Sierra Trek (self organized backpack trip in the Sierra Nevada) or a Philmont trip (alternating years). This year our summer camp was at Emerald Bay off the coast of Los Angeles. That camp has a great older youth program that is not about getting merit badges. A few of our Scouts spent the week getting their PADI Open Water certification in SCUBA as their weeks activity. This year we also have 2 crews going to Philmont. We used to run 2 summer camps many years ago when the troop was bigger, in addition to a High Adventure trip, but that was still geared to having a more adventurous camp for the older youth who were kind of over getting merit badges and wanted something more fun. Wrt getting into Philmont. There is an application lottery every year, in November, to go 20 ish months out. ie if you applied this fall you would be going in the summer of 2023. They do have last minute opportunities too. I think the success rate for applications is really high, we have never failed to get a trip when we have applied. They also provide all the food so you don't have to worry about providing it (caveat - unless you have dietary restrictions). That is the easy part though, Philmont is a long backpacking trip, we are a 12 day trip which is 10 days on the trail. Going to Philmont involves a decent amount of planning and training beforehand, depending on you and your crews familiarity with backpacking. You also get to lottery for your itinerary, they have a selection from easier (but not easy) to very challenging. The harder your trip the more physically fit you would want everyone to be. Hence the 20 odd months from first application until you go. It is an excellent experience, and if your Troop wants to go they are very likely to get a slot. But you can't just turn up and do it cold. One final comment - if you want to do it but are intimidated, most councils will offer some kind of help in preparation. Contact your councils High Adventure program if they have one.   I can't speak about how easy it is to go to the other 3 National High adventure bases, aka Sea Base, Northern Tier and Summit. They all have more varied programs and I think lower attendance but I think again, if your Troop wants to go, they likely can.   There are also many other camps or bases around the country that offer High Adventure programs. For example MOHAB is Montana High Adventure base, I think they do backpacking. Salmon River High Adventure Base do backpacking and/or whitewater rafting.   You could check out this list: https://tap.scouting.org/council-operated-high-adventure-bases/ or this site: https://www.highadventurescouting.com/council.html    
  • Who's Online (See full list)