Over the years, I've been asked quite a few times by scouts at camp if I was an Eagle Scout, despite the fact that I was wearing my Class A's showing the Red,White and Blue square knot of one who has attained this rank. Most scouts, and adults new to this program have little, or no knowledge of what these knots represent, and taking the time to explain what these knots are has never been a problem. However, a few years back I remember explaining to a younger scout why adults are not premitted to wear rank badges. But since he was told that Eagle was a permanent rank, he thought the knot was a dumb ideal (his 40 year old SM was wearing his Eagle patch on his uniform, and was the reason for his comment). So that got me to do a bit of thinking. Why not phase out the knot, and replace it instead with an Eagle patch designed for wear on the left pocket for adults only. Say something along the lines of the NESA patch....

Once an Eagle, always an Eagle.

Or so they say... I wouldn't be in favor of eliminating the square knot. I think there are many who would still like to wear it. And I wouldn't be in favor of any new badge just for adults. I would, however, be very much in favor of allowing adults who earned the Eagle to wear that Eagle, the one they earned, their very own sacred Eagle patch, on their adult uniforms.

My first thought at this subject was along the lines of, "why rock the boat?" But upon thinking about it, there's really no good reason to not allow those adults who earned it as a Scout, to wear it as an adult. Now, there might be some who will argue that every rank should be afforded that priviledge for adults. Personally, I don't think there's a lot of adults who would want to wear their Second Class patch, as that's as far as they made it, but I could be wrong. I do feel, however, that as much as the BSA and it's participants over the years, have made the public image of the Eagle to be one of high esteem and importance in a young mans life, one that is advertised as the achievement of Astronauts and Presidents, so to should it be allowed to continue as he becomes an adult leader. Let adult leaders take the patch from their boyhood uniforms, and wear it proudly on their adult uniforms. Something le Voyageur said about the explanation to his Scout made all the difference in my mind. A boy should not be told that the goal he strives towards is one that he can't advertise with the same gear as an adult.

The square knots are povided for the convenince of the wearer, since many represent a medal (Eagle Scout, Cub Scout program awards, Scouter's Training Award, Scoutmaster's Key, Silver Beaver, Religious Awards). However, some do not (District Award of Merit, Arrow of Light.)

It is allowed by the Insigna Guide for a Scouter to wear up to 5 medals above the left pocket for ceremonies (Court of Honor, Eagle Court of Honor, etc.) Also the neck medals may be worn at the same circumstances.

I wear my eagle medal at such occassions, to show that it can be done. The Eagle Badge is a youth emblem, but the medal is yours to wear when approriate.

After 32 years of service (man and boy), I have quite a few knots, to wear the accompaning medals would make me stoop, not to mention, clink when I walk.

When I do wear medals, it is usually only my Eagle Medal.