Open Discussion - Program

Share Scouting Topics here.

Subforums

1. Scouts with Disabilities

Where parents and scouters go to discuss unique aspects to working with kids with special challenges.

A place to chat about Scouting's biggest gathering

9458 topics in this forum

• 8 replies
    • 1.3k views
  1. Still NO Refund!!

• 1 reply
    • 2 replies
    • 2 replies
    • 1.1k views
    • 1 reply
    • 7 replies
    • 1.1k views
  2. Smart Duck Award

• 3 replies
  3. Train The Trainer

• 5 replies
    • 1.1k views
    • 10 replies
    • 1.2k views
  4. POR Instructor req.s

• 2 replies
  5. Help with lashing.

• 3 replies
    • 1 reply
  6. Buying tents. 1 2

• 20 replies
    • 3.3k views
  7. Scout House

• 3 replies
    • 1.2k views
    • 9 replies
    • 1.2k views
  • LATEST POSTS

• In fact, if anyone has a council (or other) list of theses/projects could you add it here? These are the ones I have found: Atlanta Area Council Chicksaw Council Dan Beard Council Mid America Council Middle Tennessee Council NorCal College of Commissioner Science    
    • I think its a good way to provide structure for ongoing raining and development for commissioners. But I've been in very different councils. One dropped the whole "college" and degrees language, as they found it a little too pretentious. Another only held one every couple years. The pandemic has done some good, at least, in encouraging more online colleges. Makes it easier to get some needed classes in.  As for the 'doctorate', there is a wide variety of quality I have seen. Some are basically like woodbadge tickets. Others are serious research papers that would be worthy of a university term paper or a published journal article.  My approach has been that I identified a pet project that required research, advocacy, and action. One that I'd want to champion anyway, and found a way to make it fit into the model for a college of commissioner science thesis/project. That's helped focus a little. And it's a good way to review the last few years of commissioner service and scouting activity and see what I've contributed.  I am surprised there is no national database of theses. And only about a half dozen councils I have found seem to have lists online. It would be nice to have once central location so nobody reinvents the wheel, and can rely on the other work already out there, otherwise, why go to all the effort?  As a real-life college professor, I have found some commissioner thesis that would be on par with a university term paper or capstone project, and others that are little more than collections of already existing resources and a short reflective essay on how this could work in the author's unit, district, or council. Certainly, nobody should be going around adding "PhD" to their name because they finish this. You get a nice little knot instead. 
    • He ceases to be an active Arrowman, that is the terminology I would use. 
    • Your thinking is right on this... And I am VERY glad you have a culture in your unit where this is the case.  (The youth wanting to continue to be part of the program.) But, there are clear boundaries, as you point out. What they want is not Venturing.  What they want is Rovering!! http://www.thedump.scoutscan.com/rovers.html
    • I find any rule that says my status as an Arrowman is terminated when my dues aren't paid to be at odds with the permanence of the Obligation. To be clear, I wouldn't wear a flap or attend a function without paying dues, but I am fairly certain the ties of Brotherhood are everlasting, and not ended when the roll of quarters runs out.
  • Who's Online (See full list)