Debate over 72 hour rule - spun from bankruptcy thread

2 hours ago, mrjohns2 said:

I'd recommend stopping this. Any incidents would not be covered by any BSA insurance. 

To be clear, it's the youth who cannot do this.  There's no prohibition I can see for adults using a chipper.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'd recommend stopping this. Any incidents would not be covered by any BSA insurance. 

I'm sure there are plenty of people who don't understand the rules and some places that have decided to implement stricter versions of the rules, but that doesn't change the fact that what you've desc

one ≠ five, therefore one on one ≠ one on five. If I can spend five hours with five scouts --- and no other adult -- in my vehicle on the way to a campout, there can be no logical expl

1 hour ago, T2Eagle said:

To be clear, it's the youth who cannot do this.  There's no prohibition I can see for adults using a chipper.

Yes as in G2SS. I'm curious though how many COs allow even adults to do so.  Ours doesn't. Chainsaws yes; wood chippers no. We do it at council camp properties simply because they have no idea but it's not allowed on any of their church properties or campgrounds where we do service projects. It's a huge liability risk. 

14 minutes ago, yknot said:

Yes as in G2SS. I'm curious though how many COs allow even adults to do so.  Ours doesn't. Chainsaws yes; wood chippers no. We do it at council camp properties simply because they have no idea but it's not allowed on any of their church properties or campgrounds where we do service projects. It's a huge liability risk. 

What would they base the idea of a "huge liability" on.  Is there data somewhere that says using a chipper is more likely to lead to injury than a chainsaw?  Some specific insurance rider that indicates using one necessitate a higher premium?

Most of the time that I hear people talk about liability they barely understand what the term really means, and it's almost always based on some gut instinct rather than real information.

• Upvote 1
37 minutes ago, yknot said:

As per g2ss, it takes special certification to use a chainsaw. There’s a whole class you’re supposed to take. 

1 hour ago, T2Eagle said:

What would they base the idea of a "huge liability" on.  Is there data somewhere that says using a chipper is more likely to lead to injury than a chainsaw?  Some specific insurance rider that indicates using one necessitate a higher premium?

Most of the time that I hear people talk about liability they barely understand what the term really means, and it's almost always based on some gut instinct rather than real information.

Chainsaws will be next.  

On 2/6/2022 at 1:25 AM, GrammaScout said:

Our Troop of 70 began 'chipping trees and wreaths' at least ten years ago and make more than enough for the years' budget needs...

I'm just pointing this out for my own amusement and that of some of my fellows. I have been Wack-A-Moled many times for being "off topic" on a thread. Here we are at Christmas trees, wood chippers, chainsaws and churches. What's the name of this thread again? That would be a great name for one. Just sayin. ;)  Ha. (Let's see if this gets deleted for being off topic.)

• Upvote 1
9 minutes ago, ThenNow said:

I'm just pointing this out for my own amusement and that of some of my fellows. I have been Wack-A-Moled many times for being "off topic" on a thread. Here we are at Christmas trees, wood chippers, chainsaws and churches. What's the name of this thread again? That would be a great name for one. Just sayin. ;)  Ha. (Let's see if this gets deleted for being off topic.)

The moderators have a tough job and have been much tighter on controlling the information in the bankruptcy threads due to the importance (I am inferring).  Often, topics go various and sundry places, but all is good if about Scouting in my opinion.  

10 minutes ago, vol_scouter said:

The moderators have a tough job and have been much tighter on controlling the information in the bankruptcy threads due to the importance (I am inferring).  Often, topics go various and sundry places, but all is good if about Scouting in my opinion.

I know. Just give the guy a Monday morning chuckle. :) I am not saying these shouldn't wander and I've stated a number of times how little I envy the job of moderating this forum (or any forum). What I'm trying to point out is that on/off-topic is kind of subjective, regardless how important the thread. There seems to be a hairtigger when it comes to a few of us. Not understanding someone's humor as it is woven around a substantive post should not be grounds for deletion. Personal annoyance for lack of appreciation of the brand of comedy is one thing, but I'm not sure if deletion on that grounds is an appropriate act of moderation. But, then again, moderation is also subjective and relative. I'm just amused as I see what stays, in the full light of what of mine goes. My question always ends up being the same. "Should I stay or should I go now?" (Nod to The Clash.) 

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, ThenNow said:

I know. Just give the guy a Monday morning chuckle. :) I am not saying these shouldn't wander and I've stated a number of times how little I envy the job of moderating this forum (or any forum). What I'm trying to point out is that on/off-topic is kind of subjective, regardless how important the thread. There seems to be a hairtigger when it comes to a few of us. Not understanding someone's humor as it is woven around a substantive post should not be grounds for deletion. Personal annoyance for lack of appreciation of the brand of comedy is one thing, but I'm not sure if deletion on that grounds is an appropriate act of moderation. But, then again, moderation is also subjective and relative. I'm just amused as I see what stays, in the full light of what of mine goes. My question always ends up being the same. "Should I stay or should I go now?" (Nod to The Clash.) 

All true.  Most of your humor, I follow and enjoy and appreciate.  Some references I do not understand so miss the humor which is annoying since it is clear that it is to be funny.  

Some things that have been pulled I do not understand while someone else seems to do something further afield with no action.  With several moderators with different points of view, it is of little wonder.

I believe that most all of us appreciate your comments and insights.  We all are sympathetic and horrified to your experiences.  Personally, I hope that you are a long term poster here providing wisdom and insight.

• Thanks 1
On 2/7/2022 at 10:55 AM, ThenNow said:

To be fair. These have the common themes of “What’s the rule, really?”, “How to enforce?”, and “Does it make kids safer vs. unintended consequences?”, and of course, “Who pays when things spin sideways?”