Jump to content

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, David CO said:

That not the way things work in the States.  We have a winner-take-all sort of system.  It permeates both our politics and our social activities.  If you don't win, you lose.  There is no compromise.

If the atheists win, the religious people lose.  Religion will be banned from scouting, just like prayer was banned from school.  If we don't ban them, they will ban us.  That's the way it is.

Prayer is not banned in schools, prayers led by the government, i.e. the school and its employees, are banned.

To add a little historical perspective, OUR PRAYERS, that is Catholic prayers, were always banned.  No child was allowed to say the Pater Noster or Ave Maria.  Catholic children attending public schools were made to pray in a way that was inconsistent with the teachings of their own faith.  The rise of Catholic parochial schools in the US was largely driven by a fear that attendance at public schools with their compulsory Protestant religious indoctrination would lead to a weakening of the Catholic faith in our children.. 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, T2Eagle said:

To add a little historical perspective, OUR PRAYERS, that is Catholic prayers, were always banned.  No child was allowed to say the Pater Noster or Ave Maria.  Catholic children attending public schools were made to pray in a way that was inconsistent with the teachings of their own faith.  The rise of Catholic parochial schools in the US was largely driven by a fear that attendance at public schools with their compulsory Protestant religious indoctrination would lead to a weakening of the Catholic faith in our children.. 

And still being battled today.  I understand there is a SCOTUS case coming up regarding the Blaine Amendment in the MT Constitution.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, T2Eagle said:

... No child was allowed to say the Pater Noster or Ave Maria.  ...

In Western PA, we got around that by throwing Hail Mary's and catching Immaculate Receptions. 🤣

  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, T2Eagle said:

Prayer is not banned in schools, prayers led by the government, i.e. the school and its employees, are banned.

Quite a few prayers will be said on final exam day...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To get back to Protoclete's question instead of the usual bickering of theists lying about how atheists can't have morals...

On 1/30/2020 at 12:08 PM, Protoclete said:

I've never had a problem with a public school or an international school before.

You can't legally charter a traditional BSA unit (pack, troop, etc) to a public school in the US; as your initial post points out, that requires the school to exclude atheists, something a public school can't do.

It looks like some international schools in the US are private, and some are attached to a public school system; only the ones that are private would be able to charter a unit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Merlyn_LeRoy said:

To get back to Protoclete's question instead of the usual bickering of theists lying about how atheists can't have morals...

You can't legally charter a traditional BSA unit (pack, troop, etc) to a public school in the US; as your initial post points out, that requires the school to exclude atheists, something a public school can't do.

It looks like some international schools in the US are private, and some are attached to a public school system; only the ones that are private would be able to charter a unit.

Thanks - but, when did that change? Or is it that the charter is with the PTA instead of the public school per se, and they simply use the space? I've been overseas for over a decade, but it seems like most of the packs we had were at public schools.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×