Scouts BSA Up 1.2% Youth Members, up 7.1% Units

When last I checked, Canada, the UK, Australia, South Africa, Mexico, the Philippines, and India recruit adults directly, and I was reprimanded for doing it in the U.S. (Contacted Eagle Scouts.).  It may be possible to cure incompetence, but low IQ is tougher.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 3
  • Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I concur with @Eagle94-A1, I've got bad feeling too. I'm glad to see the gains, but they are modest at best.  They mostly represent motivated girls, the ones who have been waiting to join the BSA

Membership numbers are out and reflect continued growth for the Scouts BSA program.  End of November 2019 is +1.2% for youth Scouts and up 7.1% for units, in comparison to end of November 2018.  This

When last I checked, Canada, the UK, Australia, South Africa, Mexico, the Philippines, and India recruit adults directly, and I was reprimanded for doing it in the U.S. (Contacted Eagle Scouts.).  It

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, TAHAWK said:

When last I checked, Canada, the UK, Australia, South Africa, Mexico, the Philippines, and India recruit adults directly, and I was reprimanded for doing it in the U.S. (Contacted Eagle Scouts.).  It may be possible to cure incompetence, but low IQ is tougher.

Huh?  We ask adults directly to volunteer all the time in our district. 

Shhhhhhh.

You cannot get in trouble for doing what they don't know you're doing,

I  asked Eagles to help by letters and got a letter of reprimand from Region.  One of the Eagles, who said "yes," wrote Council saying he appreciated being asked, and a  Council middle-mgt. type forwarded it to Region for "action."  "The adults come with the  boys."

I asked "for the most precious thing," these men had, their time. Maybe the "professionals" didn't read and thought I was asking for money.  They get ALL bent about that. 

Edited by TAHAWK
2 hours ago, TAHAWK said:

Shhhhhhh.

I  asked Eagles to help by letters and got a letter of reprimand from Region.  One of the Eagles, who said "yes," wrote Council saying he appreciated being asked, and a  Council middle-mgt. type forwarded it to Region for "action."  "The adults come with the  boys."

I asked "for the most precious thing," these men had, their time. Maybe the "professionals" didn't read and thought I was asking for money.  They get ALL bent about that. 

Holy cow!  What lunacy.

5 hours ago, TAHAWK said:

Shhhhhhh.

The BSA is blazing a bright future indeed!   These pros are Irving TX bound, no doubt in my mind.

Edited by desertrat77

I have no experience with other Venture crews, but ours is probably not much like any other out there. It is all girls, for starters; mainly sisters of Boy Scouts.  The crew advisor quickly realized that while the girls wanted outdoor adventure, they had little interest in  Venture advancement. 

We meet once a month for an hour and a half, and have one outing a month during the school year. One of those is a day of outdoor service. That’s pretty much it, but it has done really well. The boys’ troop our CO charters is about 30 scouts,  the girls’ is 15, and the crew is 22 strong. 

Edited by swilliams
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Well, additional numbers for my district as of 1/2/20 (according to the report):

Total traditional membership: -10% (Cub Scouts: -13%, Boy Scouts -5%, Venturing -12%)

For my sub-district:

Total traditional membership: -15% (Cub Scouts -18%, Boy Scouts -4%, Venturing -30%)

And before anybody yells about my use of "Boy Scouts" that's the word on the report.

Edit:  The good news is we're having a one-year celebration event of girls in Scouts BSA.  Boys are invited for the day, but, they can't spend the night.

Edited by walk in the woods
Additional Note:
18 minutes ago, walk in the woods said:

Well, additional numbers for my district as of 1/2/20 (according to the report):

Total traditional membership: -10% (Cub Scouts: -13%, Boy Scouts -5%, Venturing -12%)

For my sub-district:

Total traditional membership: -15% (Cub Scouts -18%, Boy Scouts -4%, Venturing -30%)

And before anybody yells about my use of "Boy Scouts" that's the word on the report.

Edit:  The good news is we're having a one-year celebration event of girls in Scouts BSA.  Boys are invited for the day, but, they can't spend the night.

I think sadly that will be the story for many troops / districts / councils as the year end numbers are posted.  There has been a lot happening these past several years, not all of the messaging has been handled effectively.  Yes many units continue to do well, but many long term volunteers have quietly folded their tents and moved on.

Honest question:  there is an event for to celebrate the girls joining Scouts BSA.  We are one big happy family.  But if the Boy units want to attend, that's great. but just can't spend the night?  Why the exclusion?

19 minutes ago, Jameson76 said:

Honest question:  there is an event for to celebrate the girls joining Scouts BSA.  We are one big happy family.  But if the Boy units want to attend, that's great. but just can't spend the night?  Why the exclusion?

It's a good question but I don't have an answer as I wasn't at the meeting.  

22 minutes ago, Jameson76 said:

...  But if the Boy units want to attend, that's great. but just can't spend the night?  Why the exclusion?

1 minute ago, walk in the woods said:

It's a good question but I don't have an answer as I wasn't at the meeting.  

Probably only one tarp for everyone's hammock!

In addition to those percentages, @Cburkhardt and @walk in the woods, can you provide the number of youth in your districts? That will give us a better idea of how much one districts' gains are offsetting an other distrct's losses.

13 hours ago, PACAN said:

What is the difference between the top numbers and the "sub district " ones?   Not heard the term sub district used.

wonder how many boys dropped since these numbers include girls?

Districts were merged in my council this year.  The top numbers are for the new merged district, the sub district (my word) is the former constituent district.

@carebear3895.  What is the deal with urban scouting and how they are accounted for in the membership stats?   I thought this was going into elementary schools and essentially signing up all the boys and they might meet after school but almost none of them ever seem to stay to Boy Scouts ?  Their fees are paid by whom?  Quick way to add numbers?    Seems like they would be a separate category like LFL.