Girl Scouts Barred from a Camporee by the Girl Scouts

This is all so sad to read.

The good news though is that while we saw similar nonsense this side of the Atlantic when scouts in the UK went coed in the 1990s it has, for the most part, fizzled out. Girl Guides eventually realised that there was no threat to them and the arguments fizzled out. I hope it works out the same with you as well.

As for the references to safety in the GSUSA material, they really need to grow up. Everyone is aware of the court cases about sexual abuse at the moment but for any other youth organisation to use that as amunition is a dangerous game indeed. 

• Thanks 1
  • Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Gabriella Burke, the girl who started the petition, did go to the camporee after all -- in Scouts BSA: https://www.newsday.com/long-island/nassau/all-girl-boy-scouts-1.34947886?fbclid=IwAR2900qv9

Camp song "Linger" Hmmm, I want to linger. Hmmm, A little longer. Hmmm, A little longer, Here with you. Hmmm, It's such a perfect night. Hmmm, It doesn't seem quite right. Hmmm, Th

Sloppy reporting (re: the name of both organizations) aside - This decision demonstrates why the argument "If Girl Scouts dont do things that girls want to do, then change the Girl Scouts" is not

Posted Images

Our council created an uproar this weekend by posting on Facebook that they were pulling out of a day at legoland that was advertised as an incentive for selling cookies. These screen shots are from the councils official account or members of our local council/leadership teams. 

My favs are being photographed next to a bsa Scout “devalues” their brand and being in the park with bsa scouts is a “safety” concern....a public amusement park...that was open to the general public that day...but bsa scouts are a safety issue 🙄

AC42975B-50E9-4AC8-9C6F-7317387FE819.jpeg

4A8C6245-8F50-4E9E-B1C3-E766ACFFAFD1.jpeg

B449D516-E438-4D6F-A1E0-D0ADBEBEF319.jpeg

• Confused 1
22 hours ago, ParkMan said:

The GSUSA making these kind of decisions seems like completly the wrong idea to me.  From a marketing perspective, it seems completly backwards to me.

It is....and the unfortunate part is that this seems to be a trend i'm seeing with multiple GSUSA councils 

19 minutes ago, Eagle1993 said:

While I think it is foolish, the marketing argument doesn’t upset me.  The underhanded comments that BSA is not safe seems to border on slander.  It is definitely not scout like.  

Yep, very sad.   Let's just agree to hold to our Scout Law and Promise and move on down the trail...  

All Scouting is local.   When the people lead, the leaders must follow.... 

PinkP,  perchance more coffee?  What kind of pie is THAT one... ?  

Edited by SSScout
  • Upvote 1
25 minutes ago, Eagle1993 said:

While I think it is foolish, the marketing argument doesn’t upset me.  The underhanded comments that BSA is not safe seems to border on slander.  It is definitely not scout like.  

I don't think it "borders" on slander, I think it is.  

It's also patently stupid because BSA has a long history of promoting youth safety with an established YPT certification program that is mandatory for adult scouters and a firmly defined set of safety policies set down in the published "Guide to Safe Scouting".  To imply that BSA is unsafe is irresponsible and completely wrong.

No, the marketing argument might not be upsetting, or even surprising, because marketing is a biased type of communication, but responsible leadership would have quashed such efforts and issued a retraction and apology to BSA.  

10 minutes ago, SSScout said:

Yep, very sad.   Let's just agree to hold to our Scout Law and Promise and move on down the trail...   

Yep.  GSUSA can damage their reputation by embracing stupidity all they want....more power to BSA if they can take the high road and simply shake it off with a good-natured laugh.

3 hours ago, PinkPajamas said:

Hmmm, A little longer.
Hmmm, A little longer,
Here with you.

My wife was a girl scout as well as a counselor. She still has a fat 3 ring binder of songs and the guitar. 

It's sad to see the politics. That movie that @RememberSchiff posted from the 20s, if nothing else, was incredibly positive about developing independent, confident, helpful girls. I wish someone would replicate that message for today's youth. I think it would be a hit for parents.

• Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, MattR said:

My wife was a girl scout as well as a counselor. She still has a fat 3 ring binder of songs and the guitar. 

It's sad to see the politics. That movie that @RememberSchiff posted from the 20s, if nothing else, was incredibly positive about developing independent, confident, helpful girls. I wish someone would replicate that message for today's youth. I think it would be a hit for parents.

Amen, my brother, AMEN!!

A bridge built is always better than a bridge burnt.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/29/2019 at 11:22 PM, Cleveland Rocks said:

It's not a document from the national organization. It's from the Girl Scouts of West Central Florida council. Says so on page 6, and is referenced numerous other places within the document.

They may copy-and-paste text from paperwork from the national organization, but each council publishes their own version of the Volunteer Essentials document for their volunteers.

The copy of Volunteer Essentials that our local council produces is 40 pages shorter than this one, and makes no mention of the BSA at all. Our local GSUSA council has placed no restrictions on girls and units doing activities or programs with BSA units.

It looks like the ban imposed by GSNC on the Valley Stream troop originated from its board of directors.  A comment in the news story mentions that some board members are elected officials in the village.  My count of the board bios includes a former mayor, a current trustee, and two current education trustees.  Not only are they blocking members of their organization, but their constituents, too.