• 1 month later...
  • Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We get that a lot! The place is vast. But, the black rasberries are in, and it's worth hiking some distance to the sweeter ones. @Sentinel947's scout who works as an EMT at one of the basecamps s

Visiting WSJ was a great time! It was the first time I've visited the Summit, and I was able to forget about the debt and it being a financial albatross for a few hours. As a visitor to WSJ it's hard

One of mine sent me some photos of New York where most of the UK Contingent went for a day or so pre-Jamboree. It looked New Yorkey, and like they were having fun. The bits of the opening ceremon

Posted Images

On 2/12/2019 at 9:22 AM, thrifty said:

fyi - WSJ day passes are now available.  I was able to get ours last night.

https://www.2019wsj.org/attend/day-visitors/?fbclid=IwAR0KipxPhJIj4OXNMTnsv6VJu6ud9IEykS3qfHf0HCCuC56w9vpNCTRrcHM

How many days are you going for?

I just discovered today that day passes are possible even for cub scouts. I think we may take the drive, but not sure how many days to go for. I was thinking 2. Or maybe 3?

Any thoughts on this from anyone.

On March 20, 2019 at 10:25 PM, karunamom3 said:

How many days are you going for?

I just discovered today that day passes are possible even for cub scouts. I think we may take the drive, but not sure how many days to go for. I was thinking 2. Or maybe 3?

Any thoughts on this from anyone.

With a cub? I would just go for one. At this point most of the places you'd stay are full, so you would have a substantial drive to the nearest hotel or campground each day.

On 3/23/2019 at 5:50 AM, qwazse said:

With a cub? I would just go for one. At this point most of the places you'd stay are full, so you would have a substantial drive to the nearest hotel or campground each day.

Thanks. We are going for 2 days with 5 from the Troop & 3 Cubs. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be there on the IST.

My son is going with Crew 141, they've designed some great patches, a neckerchief, and a t-shirt.  Neckerchief is really awesome, but at $21 ea, he won't have many to trade.  

• 1 month later...

Measles....

West Virginia and Scout officials are encouraging measles vaccinations for the 45,000 Scouts and leaders expected  to attend.

West Virginia has not had a confirmed measles case since 2009. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says 23 states had 839 total confirmed measles cases as of May 10.

The preventable disease was declared eliminated in 2000. The CDC says this is the greatest number of measles cases the country has seen since 1994.

“Mass gatherings, like the World Scout Jamboree, create an environment that increases the risk for infectious disease occurrence and transmission due to overcrowded conditions, limited hand hygiene facilities and compromised personal hygiene practices,” state health officer Dr. Cathy Slemp wrote in a May 7 letter to Dr. John Lea, medical director for the Jamboree.

She went on to write that measles is so contagious that when one person gets it, up to 90 percent of people in close contact with that person who are not immune will also become infected. For every 1,000 children who get measles, one or two will die from it, Slemp wrote.

One in 1,000 people with measles will get brain swelling, which could lead to brain damage, according to the CDC.

“The good news is that measles can be prevented with a safe, effected and inexpensive vaccine,” Slemp wrote.

All attendees should have received two doses of the measles vaccine or have otherwise met requirements for presumptive immunity before the Jamboree, Slemp wrote.

The only exception to the vaccine requirement should be those who medically cannot be vaccinated according to recommendations from the CDC, Slemp wrote.

Scott Scheffler, a spokesman for the World Scout Jamboree, said in addition to being screened by Customs and Border agents at entry points to the U.S., participants will be screened by Jamboree health officials with the help of local health department staffs as they enter the Summit Bechtel Reserve.

“In the event of an outbreak of any kind, the World Scout Jamboree has plans in place to quarantine patients impacted in order to protect the larger population of participants,” he said. “If any arriving participant shows signs of being sick, they will be examined by a Jamboree doctor before being admitted to the event.”

Scheffler said the Jamboree has more than 800 medical staff, including doctors, physician assistants, nurses, EMTs and medics. Scout leaders have worked with local and regional hospitals and the West Virginia National Guard to plan for and make outside resources available to participants, he said.

https://www.wvgazettemail.com/news/health/ahead-of-scout-jamboree-wv-health-officials-prepare-for-possible/article_d5757cca-2b29-54f7-90cd-de90200f23e6.html

• 1 month later...

"Starting in 10 days, this will be the biggest city in West Virginia," said Kenn Miller, Summit Bechtel Reserve's director of programs and operations, as he drove from a staging area where 340 UTVs and an assortment of cars, vans and pickup trucks rented for the event were parked.

About 8,000 Scouts from the United States will take part in the world jamboree this year, and will be dispersed throughout the campgrounds to enhance interaction with scouts from other nations.

To help keep the 43,000 Scouts safe, nearly 600 emergency services personnel will be on hand throughout the event.

Something unique that's offered this year is an electronic wrist device that lets Scouts instantly share contact information with the people they meet and want to stay in touch with."

Sorrel said that to him, the best part of a world jamboree "is to watch young people with different customs, from different cultures with different religions, come together and become friends. Even with countries in which the adults don't get along, the kids get along just fine. We could learn from them."

More details at source:

https://www.herald-dispatch.com/news/summit-bechtel-reserve-prepares-for-biggest-ever-event-beginning-july/article_70b134e0-d5a0-5c43-880f-24a0a2e3d01a.html

6 minutes ago, RememberSchiff said:

"Starting in 10 days, this will be the biggest city in West Virginia," said Kenn Miller, Summit Bechtel Reserve's director of programs and operations, as he drove from a staging area where 340 UTVs and an assortment of cars, vans and pickup trucks rented for the event were parked.

Nice of Kenn to explain to everyone that UTV means "underwater television".

• Confused 1

They're here!!!

One of the scouts in my Jambo troop met a Brazillian scout whose dad saw the uniforms of a troop coming from summer camp and asked the leaders if any boys would be at WSJ.

Oh, if you see a Sweedish troop of the name Riddarholmen somewhere between Boston, Phili, and Shenandoah, tell them that you know a stranger on the internet who is looking forward to coffee with The Doughnuts!

52 minutes ago, qwazse said:

They're here!!!

One of the scouts in my Jambo troop met a Brazillian scout whose dad saw the uniforms of a troop coming from summer camp and asked the leaders if any boys would be at WSJ.

Oh, if you see a Sweedish troop of the name Riddarholmen somewhere between Boston, Phili, and Shenandoah, tell them that you know a stranger on the internet who is looking forward to coffee with The Doughnuts!

I chatted with a Swedish Scout(er?) roaming the streets of Chicago last week.  

My son is going and he is freaking out about all the uniform requirements his troop leader is sending out.  I am confident the US contingent is the only one getting the super strict uniform rules.   Tho shalt be wear BSA uniform shorts and socks all times when leaving base camp.  Those two pair of pants/shorts after 14 days are going to be awful.  I convinced him to bring a few pairs of normal shorts and socks into his huge jambo bag.  

What are they telling the foreign contingents?

Also, my son is making handmade trinkets from Texas that he is bringing to trade.  He is excited and nervous.