Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Anyone going to the 2019 world jamboree?

I went to the 2017 National Jamboree and it was amazing. Anyone who is thinking that it will be overcrowded, a waste of money, or any of that sort, it's your opinion. The world scout jamboree is less about the activities, and more about meeting and trading with scouters around the world! The national jamboree is for people who want to have fun with their unit and want to go do activities around summit. I am saying from my experience as a scout, but anyone who has been to any of these events will know that it is one of the most memorable events a scout will remember.

Edited by SChristensen
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll be an ASM. Could use one more leader in my contingent.

Northeast Region Area 4 had 49 open youth slots. Make that 48 ... no, 47 ... thanks to two boys from my troop getting the green light from their parents.

If each of the leaders of do as well recruiting, all slots will be full right quick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, qwazse said:

I'll be an ASM. Could use one more leader in my contingent.

Northeast Region Area 4 had 49 open youth slots. Make that 48 ... no, 47 ... thanks to two boys from my troop getting the green light from their parents.

If each of the leaders of do as well recruiting, all slots will be full right quick.

Do you mind where the leader is from? ;)

Crikey! You have empty slots that need filling? We were oversubscribed back in last September and had a selection camp in October to pick the 6 lucky ones from the 12 that wanted to go (and got their applications in on time) from our district. They're busy going on training camps and furiously fundraising as we speak.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@qwazse, what's the cost? For us, any Bechtel Jambo is North of $3500 so I won't even consider it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ianwilkins said:

Do you mind where the leader is from? ;)

Crikey! You have empty slots that need filling? We were oversubscribed back in last September and had a selection camp in October to pick the 6 lucky ones from the 12 that wanted to go (and got their applications in on time) from our district. They're busy going on training camps and furiously fundraising as we speak.

Me, personally? No problems. But PA would require child abuse clearances and an FBI criminal background check. (Not sure if WV and NY state has similar regs for leaders coming from there.) All that on top of BSA's youth protection and background check (which is part of you registration fee). Plus, you'd have to get up to speed with the in-person training.

2 hours ago, MattR said:

@qwazse, what's the cost? For us, any Bechtel Jambo is North of $3500 so I won't even consider it.

We're being charged $2500 on a payment plan. I'm missing out on a lot of camping (the troop is at summer camp this week) to save up dimes and time.

There is scholarship money available for youth, staff, and young ASMs (26 and younger).

As soon as one of our scouts realized this was a World Jambo, he came to his mom with a draft plan for all of the new chores/jobs he'd take on to cover the cost.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, qwazse said:

Me, personally? No problems. But PA would require child abuse clearances and an FBI criminal background check. (Not sure if WV and NY state has similar regs for leaders coming from there.) All that on top of BSA's youth protection and background check (which is part of you registration fee). Plus, you'd have to get up to speed with the in-person training.

In person training from the UK might be the kicker...well, and the cost, and the time off required, and....excuses excuses I know. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, qwazse said:

Me, personally? No problems. But PA would require child abuse clearances and an FBI criminal background check. (Not sure if WV and NY state has similar regs for leaders coming from there.) All that on top of BSA's youth protection and background check (which is part of you registration fee). 

I just had to do all that for a resident camp in PA. It’s expensive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just got my patch and travel tag in the mail.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm waiting to hear what my IST assignment will be.  Hoping its not plumbing or sorting recycling.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We made some gains but had some cancel ... Still room for 35 youth in our area.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×