Anyone going to the 2019 world jamboree?

I went to the 2017 National Jamboree and it was amazing. Anyone who is thinking that it will be overcrowded, a waste of money, or any of that sort, it's your opinion. The world scout jamboree is less about the activities, and more about meeting and trading with scouters around the world! The national jamboree is for people who want to have fun with their unit and want to go do activities around summit. I am saying from my experience as a scout, but anyone who has been to any of these events will know that it is one of the most memorable events a scout will remember.

Edited by SChristensen
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We get that a lot! The place is vast. But, the black rasberries are in, and it's worth hiking some distance to the sweeter ones. @Sentinel947's scout who works as an EMT at one of the basecamps s

Visiting WSJ was a great time! It was the first time I've visited the Summit, and I was able to forget about the debt and it being a financial albatross for a few hours. As a visitor to WSJ it's hard

One of mine sent me some photos of New York where most of the UK Contingent went for a day or so pre-Jamboree. It looked New Yorkey, and like they were having fun. The bits of the opening ceremon

Posted Images

I'll be an ASM. Could use one more leader in my contingent.

Northeast Region Area 4 had 49 open youth slots. Make that 48 ... no, 47 ... thanks to two boys from my troop getting the green light from their parents.

If each of the leaders of do as well recruiting, all slots will be full right quick.

4 hours ago, qwazse said:

I'll be an ASM. Could use one more leader in my contingent.

Northeast Region Area 4 had 49 open youth slots. Make that 48 ... no, 47 ... thanks to two boys from my troop getting the green light from their parents.

If each of the leaders of do as well recruiting, all slots will be full right quick.

Do you mind where the leader is from? ;)

Crikey! You have empty slots that need filling? We were oversubscribed back in last September and had a selection camp in October to pick the 6 lucky ones from the 12 that wanted to go (and got their applications in on time) from our district. They're busy going on training camps and furiously fundraising as we speak.

7 hours ago, ianwilkins said:

Do you mind where the leader is from? ;)

Crikey! You have empty slots that need filling? We were oversubscribed back in last September and had a selection camp in October to pick the 6 lucky ones from the 12 that wanted to go (and got their applications in on time) from our district. They're busy going on training camps and furiously fundraising as we speak.

Me, personally? No problems. But PA would require child abuse clearances and an FBI criminal background check. (Not sure if WV and NY state has similar regs for leaders coming from there.) All that on top of BSA's youth protection and background check (which is part of you registration fee). Plus, you'd have to get up to speed with the in-person training.

2 hours ago, MattR said:

@qwazse, what's the cost? For us, any Bechtel Jambo is North of $3500 so I won't even consider it.

We're being charged $2500 on a payment plan. I'm missing out on a lot of camping (the troop is at summer camp this week) to save up dimes and time.

There is scholarship money available for youth, staff, and young ASMs (26 and younger).

As soon as one of our scouts realized this was a World Jambo, he came to his mom with a draft plan for all of the new chores/jobs he'd take on to cover the cost.

• Upvote 1
16 minutes ago, qwazse said:

Me, personally? No problems. But PA would require child abuse clearances and an FBI criminal background check. (Not sure if WV and NY state has similar regs for leaders coming from there.) All that on top of BSA's youth protection and background check (which is part of you registration fee). Plus, you'd have to get up to speed with the in-person training.

In person training from the UK might be the kicker...well, and the cost, and the time off required, and....excuses excuses I know. :)

43 minutes ago, qwazse said:

Me, personally? No problems. But PA would require child abuse clearances and an FBI criminal background check. (Not sure if WV and NY state has similar regs for leaders coming from there.) All that on top of BSA's youth protection and background check (which is part of you registration fee). 

I just had to do all that for a resident camp in PA. It’s expensive.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...