Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
RememberSchiff

Punxsutawney (PA) Phil prognosticates 6 more weeks of winter

Recommended Posts

6 more weeks of winter!

Poor Phil was shivering even with his fur coat. Does your local Ground Hog or cultural equivalent critter agree?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RememberSchiff said:

6 more weeks of winter!

Poor Phil was shivering even with his fur coat. Does your local Ground Hog or cultural equivalent critter agree?

 

 

Dummies+guide+groundhog+day+wibble_d8c132_5004278.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just flew home. Feels good to have one's face hurt by stepping outside. Less deceptive than that sun getting you all cheery only to have you watch your face peel off later.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Woodstock Willie (Illinois - home of the movie Groundhog Day) is currently hiding in the witness protection program to avoid being whacked by the Chicago mob - they paid him off to not see his shadow and he betrayed them - he saw his shadow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ItsBrian said:

I don’t see why the it matters since it’s 6 weeks until spring either way.

I figured this out a long time ago.  Six weeks after Groundhog Day is the Spring Solstice.  It has nothing to do with winter weather.  That's just the assumption people are led to believe. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is a much better movie than it is a legend. :)

If this tradition started in Pa., it seems strange because it can snow into April, as it also sometimes does here, so that’s at least eight weeks right there.  And there are places in the U.S. where it can snow into May.  Winter weather ends when it ends, solstice or not.

Hmm, does this make me the Scrooge of Groundhog Day?

Edited by NJCubScouter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah, the yearly meteorological meanderings of the marmota monax ...

Remind me why we  get six me weeks of winter if he sees his shadow - doesn't that mean the sun is in fact shining, which should be indicative of impending spring, yet an overcast sky means he doesn't see his shadow, and thus somehow, more winter? 

This is why I would never trust the weather with an overgrown rodent. :laugh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Latin Scot said:

This is why I would never trust the weather with an overgrown rodent. :laugh:

Actually, to be fair to the groundhog, a prediction by a human meteorologist about what the weather is going to be six weeks from now is worth about as much as the groundhog’s prediction.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, NJCubScouter said:

It is a much better movie than it is a legend. :)

If this tradition started in Pa., it seems strange because it can snow into April, as it also sometimes does here, so that’s at least eight weeks right there.  And there are places in the U.S. where it can snow into May.  Winter weather ends when it ends, solstice or not.

Hmm, does this make me the Scrooge of Groundhog Day?

Nobody says six consecutive consecutive weeks! :p

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ianwilkins said:

Meanwhile in England...

forecasting-stone.jpg?w=1400

We have that too. Once in camp the forecasting stone was a large bolder with a tripod of huge spars set up on the parade ground in the middle of the night. There is always some new kid who has never seen it and thinks it is hilarious. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Tampa Turtle said:

We have that too. Once in camp the forecasting stone was a large bolder with a tripod of huge spars set up on the parade ground in the middle of the night. There is always some new kid who has never seen it and thinks it is hilarious. :)

 

We call it a weather stone :) , our daycamp has one at scout craft. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/3/2018 at 5:59 PM, ItsBrian said:

I don’t see why the it matters since it’s 6 weeks until spring either way.

To quote Tevye (Fiddler on the Roof):   Tradition!

Its just a fun little way of keeping some tradition and history alive - Just sit back and enjoy it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×