Ireland seeks Eagle now before she ages out

Terrible idea. Sorry, she's just not the right age at the right time. It sucks, but it is what it is. Eagle is not a measurement of being a good Scout or a good person, and she should be comfortable with the fact she is both of those things, but not an Eagle Scout. 

If they make this exception I'd be hard pressed to see how the flood gates of exceptions just bursts open. 

• Upvote 2
  • Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think we need to remember a couple of things here: 1.   The BSA, as far as I know, has not responded to Ms. Ireland's request.  Therefore, any comments along the line about how National has dev

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2016/08/10/girl-wants-to-join-boy-scouts/ Ireland says her main reason for becoming a Boy Scout is to receive the Eagle Scout ranking, which she believes will help her

I don't know where this idea came from (probably the BSA.) But it does harm to people and to the program.  Eagle Scout is not some silver bullet for teenagers. If your grades suck, Eagle Scout wo

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Sentinel947 said:

Terrible idea. Sorry, she's just not the right age at the right time. It sucks, but it is what it is. Eagle is not a measurement of being a good Scout or a good person, and she should be comfortable with the fact she is both of those things, but not an Eagle Scout. 

If they make this exception I'd be hard pressed to see how the flood gates of exceptions just bursts open. 

What's the big deal.  BSA is used to slippery slopes.  Unfortunately only in Bizarro World do they ever go up.

3 hours ago, Hawkwin said:

While I would like to see her given the chance to get Eagle, I think both her and the family would show an incredible amount of maturity if they simply said that Ireland helping other girls obtain the chance to get such is "Eagle enough."

Plus, if she wants, she can put on her college apps and resume something like "I have become nationally famous for helping to persuade the Boy Scouts of America to open its programs to girls and to make young women eligible to earn the rank of Eagle."  Or something like that.  It ought to be good for a point or two.  And she has the newspaper clippings to prove it.  Although personally I think this would have happened even without her, but maybe a year later.  Or maybe not.

That of course assumes that the person reading her application is not someone who has a strong objection to the new BSA policy, but that person would also have a negative reaction to seeing "Eagle Scout" on her resume.

Added:  I mean, how many 16-year-old girls, other than a celebrity or the child of one (including zillionaires and politicians) could be referred to in a thread title only by her last name, and everybody reading this forum would know who she is?  I am only aware of one.

Edited by NJCubScouter
40 minutes ago, Stosh said:

What's the big deal.  BSA is used to slippery slopes.  Unfortunately only in Bizarro World do they ever go up.

Slippery slopes on membership vs program requirements. 

To use sports as an analogy, we've decided to allow gay kids "play", gay adults "coach" in our sports league. That doesn't alter the rules of the game. Letting the Ireland family bully the BSA into changing program requirements is changing the rules for one "Player". Like if in soccer one player can use their hands and nobody else can. It breaks the game. 

• Upvote 2

I have friends that missed Eagle by a few weeks or months. Should they whine a s complain to national to get special treatment to get their Eagle? These were guys I was in tigers with. Some had good excuses for not making it with things well beyond their control. If they make this girl and Eagle I will send my badge in. It won’t be worth anything if they let her in. It will be a patch that can now be bought with the right attorney and parents willing to crusade for their kids. The rank is becoming worthless. 

• Upvote 1
25 minutes ago, Back Pack said:

I have friends that missed Eagle by a few weeks or months. Should they whine a s complain to national to get special treatment to get their Eagle? These were guys I was in tigers with. Some had good excuses for not making it with things well beyond their control. If they make this girl and Eagle I will send my badge in. It won’t be worth anything if they let her in. It will be a patch that can now be bought with the right attorney and parents willing to crusade for their kids. The rank is becoming worthless. 

My sons had to give up other activities they also wanted to do to make time to fit in the Eagle. I feel bad for the girl but she was taking a risk if that was the goal. When I was a teen I got 1290 on my SAT and missed a badly needed scholarship where the cut off was 1300. I missed an A in a class after bringing up my grade from a C even though I had a 89.6 average. I missed getting Springsteen tickets (back when you had to do it in person) by ten minutes because the bus ran late. (Hey I am seeing a trend here!).

To give her, or any other girl, a pass on the requirements takes away from the 1st girl to do it right.

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, Back Pack said:

OK, I just have to say that your work to get to Eagle is obviously not meaningless and no one can take that experience or honor away from you.

Also, there have likely been boys who have skirted the rules and been awarded Eagles in less than sterling fashion.  I'm not saying it's common, but in the numbers of people in Scouting and the, er, variations in local Scouting, some people here and there probably have been given exceptions and lax standards, etc.   Just because someone else had the rules bent does not diminish your accomplishment.  I understand it will feel like that, but don't send in your achievement.  

"To compare is to be disappointed."  --not sure of the source, but this is a quote I like and try to remember.   

Edited by WisconsinMomma
added "probably"
  • Upvote 1
38 minutes ago, Sentinel947 said:

Well if they're "just" dollars, I'd be happy to be the custodian of those dollars, if you're offering. :p

Ever wonder why Fort Knox is so well guarded?  Conspiracy theorists say it's because there is no gold in it and if the word got out the dollar isn't worth the paper it's printed on our economy would collapse.  If that ever happens I'll send everything I got.  :)

3 hours ago, Stosh said:

Ever wonder why Fort Knox is so well guarded?  Conspiracy theorists say it's because there is no gold in it and if the word got out the dollar isn't worth the paper it's printed on our economy would collapse.  If that ever happens I'll send everything I got.  :)

Haha. Totally off topic, but if the economy totally collapses, Gold isn't very useful. Food, a way to purify water, guns and ammunition are much more valuable than gold. 

That's why I do a lot of research on foraging.   :)  9 acres of woodlands is what I live on, and a creek runs through the neighbor's yard.  Like I said, a dollar bill salad is all yours for the taking if the economy goes bad.

15 hours ago, WisconsinMomma said:

OK, I just have to say that your work to get to Eagle is obviously not meaningless and no one can take that experience or honor away from you.

Also, there have likely been boys who have skirted the rules and been awarded Eagles in less than sterling fashion.  I'm not saying it's common, but in the numbers of people in Scouting and the, er, variations in local Scouting, some people here and there probably have been given exceptions and lax standards, etc.   Just because someone else had the rules bent does not diminish your accomplishment.  I understand it will feel like that, but don't send in your achievement.  

"To compare is to be disappointed."  --not sure of the source, but this is a quote I like and try to remember.   

Yes it does. Have guys gotten their Eagle because they were In Eagle mills? Yes. That’s way different than breaking, not bending, the rules for this girl. It makes my accomplishment worthless because I worked 7 long years, lead a troop through four years as SPL and Jasm and  [edit] they GAVE it to her because of her gender. That makes the award meaningless because they just given it away. 

If you work 80 hours a week for your money and I work 2 hours a week for the same pay is that fair? Do you not feel cheated? Cmon. 

Edited by RememberSchiff
removed this chick
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1