• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My son left scouting back in the mid 1990's.  I have enjoyed working with the boys since.  Now that the program is no longer what I signed up for, transitioning out is going to be easy.  I've paid my

Well, I'm finally shaking this bronchitis I've had for the past few weeks, there's space in the SM's car for me and my gear, and it looks like a weekend worthy of my presence (some rain, temperatures

Make the most of these years with your son as they will never come again.  It does not have to be Scouting.

23 minutes ago, Tampa Turtle said:

@Col. Flagg

How would they 'fold' Venturing? Allow Scouts to go past 18?

Well, according to this one group of folks they'd simply either move youth to their gender-appropriate units or install the Boy Scout rank system in to Venturing. Didn't hear how they'd handle 18-21 year olds who want Eagle.

• Confused 1
2 minutes ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

I hope Venturing, as well as Sea Scouts, do not go away. Had a conversation with the hoodlums. They are not happy with the way things are going with the troop. Part of me wants to start a crew.

@Eagle94-A1, welcome to the dark side! Although the challenge with "hooldums" in your situation that I've seen is that that they've been helicoptered so much that the leadership skills they need to start a crew have not developed.

Just now, Col. Flagg said:

Well, according to this one group of folks they'd simply either move youth to their gender-appropriate units or install the Boy Scout rank system in to Venturing. Didn't hear how they'd handle 18-21 year olds who want Eagle.

I'd be happy if they phased out allowing venturers to advance to Eagle in their crews. I'd refer any disgruntled customers to NESA to petition that they promote the Summit award as much as they do their traditional shibboleth-of-bling.

• Like 1

I'm tired of the helicopter parents. After the  wanting of a guarantee that nothing will happen to their Scout, a veiled threat to several of us at the meeting,  I don't want anything to do with the helicopters or their sons.  My house, which has hosted several troop functions, is no longer available after an incident at the Christmas party at my house. And my sons are not to have anything to do with the helicopters, nor their children.  A conversation I will be having with the SM Monday.

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

I'm tired of the helicopter parents. After the  wanting of a guarantee that nothing will happen to their Scout, a veiled threat to several of us at the meeting,  I don't want anything to do with the helicopters or their sons.  My house, which has hosted several troop functions, is no longer available after an incident at the Christmas party at my house. And my sons are not to have anything to do with the helicopters, nor their children.  A conversation I will be having with the SM Monday.

Did I miss an installment?

• Haha 1

Venturing is going to go away except for maybe college town units.  There really isn't much call for post-high school groups that treat the members like children and need to be monitored with adult supervision at an expense to the members.

• Upvote 1
38 minutes ago, Tampa Turtle said:

Did I miss an installment?

Incident at Christmas party was brought to the SM's attention, and mine, Monday night. Scout was doing something he was not suppose to be doing. He says my son punched him in the back and told him to stop, while son says he slapped in on the back to get his attention and tell him to stop.

1 minute ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

Incident at Christmas party was brought to the SM's attention, and mine, Monday night. Scout was doing something he was not suppose to be doing. He says my son punched him in the back and told him to stop, while son says he slapped in on the back to get his attention and tell him to stop.

Did he stop?

29 minutes ago, Tampa Turtle said:

Did he stop?

Good question :)  Was it effective?????  LOL.

One of the parents in my son's therapy group has a story of her son who hit another kid. He told the kid to stop a few times, then said, stop, or I'm going to hit you, the other kid didn't stop, the lady's son hit the other kid, and THE KID STOPPED.  So her kid learned his method was effective. Her kid didn't get into trouble at school either, because he warned the kid -- stop or I will hit you.  LOL. Sorry, it's only funny when it's not your own kid.  

I think in this day and age of sue-happy helicopter parents it's better to resort back to the playground tattling than the more effective punch. 

I taught my son to really pound his punches, if you're going to get sued, might as well get your money's worth out of it.