Yes actually. My pack was going to a state park that was not on the council list of approved facilities. We were told we can't go.

At least your council is doing what it is suppose to do. I not have seen a list of approved camps for Cub Scouts to use in the 8 years I've been involved with Cubs.  Then again about 5-6 years back, we still had members of the council camping committee saying "Cubs don't need to camp."

Regarding Tour permits, planners, whatever they are called, I'm wondering if international travel will need it still?

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

@@RichardB, this thread exists because a number of councils are telling their volunteers about a policy change and linking to a memo that is online that YOU apparently wrote.  You did write it, didn't

Our council has a Tour Plan Coordinator.   He name is Helen Weight.    That is who we tell folks to go to.

This sort of reminds me of a bit from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:     The sad part here is that the real-life communications abilities of BSA and its councils are reminding me of a work

I never had to file tour plans as a scout.

This doesn't have to be an overwhelming process .... list when you're going, when you'll return, what you'll be doing and where, who will be helping you. Let everyone's parents know what's up.

I assure my scouts that they will have arrived when that's how they operate.

The most important source of information is National.  What are THEY saying about it? 

It appears that National is relying on the councils to distribute this information.  All of the links that people have posted above have the same FAQ from National.  In some cases the councils have posted the FAQ as their own Facebook post, in other cases they simply link to the document (with the "Updated 3/10/17 by RRB" still on it.)  Why they are choosing to do it this way, I'm not sure. 

I often find the unmentioned reasons out-weight the mentioned reasons.  How about ...

• Councils never use the information.
  • Councils can't depend on the plans as most units forget to submit.
  • Councils can't depend on the plans as the plans have little useful data.
  • Councils have liability if they don't actually evaluate plans.
  • Councils have liability if they don't staff sufficiently to evaluate the plans and act on the evaluation.
  • Councils have liability if they knowingly have member units in good standing that camp and do activities without actually submitting plans.
  • Councils have liability if they approve plans that have bad / wrong information.  ( i.e. Why did you approve a tour plan with a revoked DL ?  Why did you ??? )

IMHO, makes me wonder if the online tour plans was the trigger for canceling the plans as online data was easily to analyze for ...

• how many troops never fill them out
  • how many troops fill them out inconsistently
  • how many troops fill them out wrong
  • how many troops did not list key risk info
  • councils with submitted plans that were never rejected that violated BSA rules.
Edited by fred johnson

IMHO, makes me wonder if the online tour plans was the trigger for canceling the plans as online data was easily to analyze for ...

Interesting idea. I wonder, too, if BSA hasn't read through some of the tour plans -- or at least done an analysis of complete versus incomplete ones -- to determine if they are worthwhile.

Since they are online and don't have a cost associated with them, I can't imagine it is a cost issue. Unless , of course, BSA has a group that reviews them or has to review them periodically for insurance purposes.

It appears that National is relying on the councils to distribute this information.  All of the links that people have posted above have the same FAQ from National.  In some cases the councils have posted the FAQ as their own Facebook post, in other cases they simply link to the document (with the "Updated 3/10/17 by RRB" still on it.)  Why they are choosing to do it this way, I'm not sure. 

Sounds like a case of tell Gladys Kravitz and she'll take care of it.

REALLY a poor way of handing things like this.

Sounds like a case of tell Gladys Kravitz and she'll take care of it.

REALLY a poor way of handing things like this.

One might think that National would have a standard way of distributing information like this.  I think it's fine to put the info on both the National and council web sites since more people probably read the council sites than the National site.  But in this case, it does not yet appear to be on the National web site (at least, it wasn't when I looked a few days ago) and it is on different councils' web sites in different ways, which creates confusion.

Meanwhile, it does not seem to be on my own council's web page at all, at least it is not on the home page or the news page.

And all this assumes that 100% percent of people are getting their Scouting information from the Internet, which is not the case.

Would something like this be a council decision? National perhaps isn't requiring then, but councils can continue to do so?

In theory, National could have left this up to each council.  However, the documents that are linked in the various posts earlier in this thread suggest that this is a nationwide decision and is applicable to all councils.  On the other hand, I am again pinging @@RichardB in hopes that he will stop by and clarify this situation.

Scouting Magazine?  Web sites?  Blogs?  There's a number of different resources that can be used to disseminate the information, NONE are being used except the "over the fence gossip" method.

• Upvote 1
NJ, I don't know why the posts in this thread exist.  Live and current FAQ's:  http://www.scouting.org/sitecore/content/Home/HealthandSafety/TourPlanFAQ.aspx 

RichardB

PS:  Tour permits went away in 2011....the Tour Plan went away in 2012...Guess we have to wait and see what happens on the 1st.   I still love this one....http://blog.scoutingmagazine.org/2013/04/01/blade-length/