Yes, I would call objectifying women immoral.

It would be very naive to put an issue like this on a political spectrum. I had a strident liberal relative take umbrage at a strident conservative relative who was employed as a principle in an objectifying industry for a time. Certain known family values were not worth upholding if the prodigal would have to come home to years of being dependent on family for debt relief.

From that personal experience, I would say David's stance is correct. These workers choose their employment while hundreds of noble women take less rewarding work -- hazarding poverty and dependence -- out of a desire to be more consistent with certain higher standards. That's not to say I'm much different. It's to make clear that there are stones that could be thrown, according to some, but not by any.

But, like I've told my boys when scouters blustered: "Regard who does the work. Honor them."

The self-righteous will get their turn, as soon as they pick up the hammer and anchor those tent stakes.

Edited by qwazse
  • Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Go for it. I think the more society mixes, the more tolerant it becomes.   Back in the 80s, in the UK, I was in scouts, we had a weekend camp for our troop at a small campsite owned by the municipal

I see no issues with it.  They were decently dressed and appropriate.  This is a non-issue.

Gosh! Seems to have kicked off a bit!     I'm sorry you've chosen to take that interpretation. I'm a fellow scout, you are my brother*, rest assured I meant no offence. Having moral values, and tr

Posted Images

Yes, I would call objectifying women immoral.

Some would classify homosexuality, transgenderism, drinking, smoking or cursing immoral too. I wasn't sure how detailed you all get when discussing things, so was not sure what most would classify as immoral activity. I suspect all ends of the spectrum are represented here, so I did not want to single anyone out for their beliefs.

Edited by Back Pack

While this may sound a bit tongue in cheek I am actually serious.

This kind of story is some of the best PR you can get.

Like it or not scouting does have a reputation as being a bit nerdy. Something like this gets in the news and suddenly, regardless of the facts, teenagers start to sit up and take note of what is actually going on.

Great minds think alike.  When I saw this story I thought that they should track and see if they have recruiting spurt, or at least an increase in participation by the fathers.

• Upvote 1

Some would classify homosexuality, transgenderism, drinking, smoking or cursing immoral too. I wasn't sure how detailed you all get when discussing things, so was not sure what most would classify as immoral activity. I suspect all ends of the spectrum are represented here, so I did not want to single anyone out for their beliefs.

I don't think anyone at my church would consider smoking and drinking to be immoral.  Vices, perhaps.  More likely bad habits.

Any way one chooses to look at it, we would not allow anyone to promote alcohol or tobacco use to our kids.  Not at school.  Not at scouting.

I don't think anyone at my church would consider smoking and drinking to be immoral.  Vices, perhaps.  More likely bad habits.

I guess my point was some here might consider them as such, so it is hard to know what people think is immoral. I would think most main stream Christians might not consider drinking or smoking as immoral. I know my grandmother considered both so though.

I guess my point was some here might consider them as such, so it is hard to know what people think is immoral. I would think most main stream Christians might not consider drinking or smoking as immoral. I know my grandmother considered both so though.

I frankly wouldn't care what they thought.  I also wouldn't care how much volunteer work they do.  If anyone promotes alcohol or tobacco use to my kids, they're out.

Edited by David CO

So is wearing a hat in church...unless you're Jewish, then NOT wearing a hat in church is immoral.

Oh, by the way, of the 7 species of locus in the Middle East, 4 are Kosher and 3 are not.  One could go straight to hell for eating the wrong ones.

Edited by Stosh

I'm not splitting hairs when the neck is already sliced. When an eating establishment's claim to fame offends feminists and traditionalists, it's owners are preying on moral sensibilities for profit. The employees are willing participants in that.

So, playing innocent relativist is not an option. Better to say "Welcome to America. Now lets thanks these ladies for taking time out of their week to help our boys."

I frankly wouldn't care what they thought.  If anyone promotes alcohol or tobacco use to my kids, they're out.

This attitude is why my mom resented the business. Dad went to extremes making sure his merchandise did not wind up in the hands of the under-aged (not easy to do in a college town). But her holy-roller friends wouldn't want him sponsoring their little league ... even though his kids were the most sober lot in town. He was more than happy, however, to make private donations to make sure there were enough bats and gloves on the playground. His real passion was sponsoring the Voice of America essay contest through the VFW. That did make it into the papers, but if anyone dared complain about a link to the booze, they'd be contending with the guys they saw carrying rifles in the every parade since the Whiskey Rebellion.

• Upvote 1

I don't know of many VFW posts and American Legion posts out there that don't have a bar connected to them and hold raffles on a regular basis, yet no conservative groups are out there making a big stink about them chartering BSA units. 

Then there are the beauty pageants at the fair....  How is that not just as demeaning to women as Hooters and the women don't get any money unless they win.

Our old charter organization is a VFW post. We'd have to walk through the bar to our meeting room. The girl scouts sell cookies there today. I remember as a kid going there for pack meetings. Didn't lead me to drink, smoke or womanize. I am in my 30s so I guess I still have time to learn yet.

Well, regardless of our opinions and values, my local (Chicago Western Suburbs) classic rock radio station DJs ran with the story this morning.  Let's just say it wasn't the BSAs best advertising.

wouldn't expect anything else from most of those classic rock shock-jockies I have heard.

Those guys will twist anything into something they can make fun of..... in the tackiest way possible