I've heard this argument before, that history moves in one direction, like a flowing river, from conservative to liberal, and that people should jump on the liberal bandwagon to be on the right side of history.  I don't buy it.

I've studied history.  It appears to me that history and societal changes are more like a tide or a pendulum, moving in and out, or back and forth.

The bandwagon approach doesn't work because,  in the long run,  the direction towards which the world is moving is temporary, and will change.

Edited by David CO
  • Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The pay scale does seem to be unreasonably top heavy. Compare that to the highest ranking generals/admirals in the military whose pay tops out around $250k and may be responsible for organizations wit

I've always found it a bit odd for people to claim that it's role modeling that makes people gay when pretty close to 100% of gay people were raised in heterosexual households - seems a bit odd to cla

BadWolf, unless you can travel through time like a certain fictional character who you seem to be a fan of, you don't actually know what's going to happen in the future.   I think the BSA can make

And in the wake of history lies a lot of well meaning, ill-conceived good ideas that really won't go anywhere and will do more damage than good before they fade into oblivion.

The bad part of being a student of history is that one often times sees the handwriting on the wall and can anticipate the slow motion train wreck before it inevitably happens.

I've heard this argument before, that history moves in one direction, like a flowing river, from conservative to liberal, and that people should jump on the liberal bandwagon to be on the right side of history.  I don't buy it.

I've studied history.  It appears to me that history and societal changes are more like a tide or a pendulum, moving in and out, or back and forth.

The bandwagon approach doesn't work because,  in the long run,  the direction towards which the world is moving is temporary, and will change.

I have to agree with @@David CO on this one. Things swing back and forth. Just look at politics, in some ways the "liberal" Bill Clinton was more conservative than the "conservative" Ronald Reagan.

So here is one way to save the BSA:

Why would you post this?

- Sentinel947

OK, so maybe I shouldn't have. The idea was to show that there are people on both sides of the issue being unreasonable. And trotting out a link to one and saying "see! No one will be satisfied!" doesn't help.

If the local public schools (PTAs, etc.) allow BSA back into the schools, they may offset these losses.  We'll see.

This doesn't change the legal issues with public schools, since the BSA still excludes atheists.

Edited by Merlyn_LeRoy
  • Upvote 1

And Ladies and Gentlemen, there you have it in a nutshell, the total polarization of the BSA is complete.  We're going to find out whether this decision was made for the benefit of the majority or minority because not all the feet votes have come in.

I am glad to see this day coming.  Its the only way this is going to get resolved.  Sometimes divorce is the only way.

OK, so maybe I shouldn't have. The idea was to show that there are people on both sides of the issue being unreasonable. And trotting out a link to one and saying "see! No one will be satisfied!" doesn't help.

But you posted something abhorrent and hateful from a VERY extreme person exposing killing someone. NO ONE here has posted ANYTHING remotely similar about those supporting gay rights. Yours was overkill no matter how much you try to window dress it.

The fact you are even trying to defend it with this lame excuse make even more sad.

Edited by Bad Wolf

<<Problem is, when political correctness reared its head during the Clinton years, that genie can't be put back in the bottle. If Hillary gets elected it will only get worse.>>

Political correctness reared it's head during the Clinton administration with the anti gun agenda of liberals,  too.  The difference is that the National Rifle Association beat the hell out of liberals for doing so,  including electing George Bush President instead of Al Gore.

Liberals have taken pains to avoid raising the gun issue,  at least nationally,  since then.  Any attemptes to do so result in a liberal supply of new lumps as the left wing gets beaten up.

Unfortunately,  the NRA seems to be pretty much unique in it's willing to beat the hell out of the left.

Well that's interesting - the Great Salt Lake Council is quoted as saying that the group will have to get approval for their application from National - why would they be treated differently from any other chartered organization which are approved at the Council level???