Digital Badging - No More Sewing?

The last Jambo might be educational.  WiFi relay towers, Scout schmart phones that were to be included with the registration fee, Jambo wide announcement apps that didn't,  Solar powered (sometimes) charging stations, cellphone access to the lucky/privileged,  Scouts concerned with competitive  recharging ("hey, mines up to 40%", "mines up to 45...")(actual overheard conversation @ 9pm),  Jambo News that were never intended to be in print but online, 

I could think of some more given time, but you might get the idea.

That's one guy doing his own thing. The article in question seems to infer that BSA is going this route....and I don't think anyone here has heard of that path.

Never heard of this before, but I think BadWolf is correct.  And it would be up to each SM around the country to decide whether to sign a blue card for a counselor who is not registered with "our" district and is somewhere in the Northern Star Council doing "classes" over the Internet.  Some might, some might not.  Another interesting difference is that these seem to be "live" classes, with a real counselor, just using the Internet to communicate.  From that article I got the impression that they were talking about just a Scout and his smartphone and a server somewhere, delivering the Merit Badge.  That's not how it works and I don't think that is how it is going to work anytime soon.

The article also seems to be mainly a promotional piece for the non-BSA organizations that are involved. ....

Agreed.  It seems like a futurist vision to promote the company.  

As for now though, we have digital merit badge books being rolled out with rich interactive content.  We have ScoutBook that has scouts posting when they have completed a requirement and adults (other scouts?) that are able to sign off.  I don't see though the end-to-end online advancement and "badging".   :)

I will say this ... I've taken several courses through college where major content was online.  Those courses drilled the knowledge extremely well.  One was a business accounting courses that taught GAAP and basic double entry book keeping.  I think those online tools were sensational in teaching the laws and rules precisely and in-depth.

Edited by fred johnson

Sheesh, I was hoping this topic would give me some ideas for a new application for my son's new 3-D printer.....bummer.

Slides, Woggles, Scouter Tokens, Good Deed Coins, Patrol Coins...Personalized Awards...Historical recreations of Lodge Flaps, Council Flaps, Camp Patches no longer Available.... free of course if the have Registered BSA Logos...

Sheesh, I was hoping this topic would give me some ideas for a new application for my son's new 3-D printer.....bummer.

Summit statue miniatures, Key 3 figures collection sets,

...drum roll...

scout smartphone cover. Inside top lid is a mirror. On back of bottom cover is the Morse Code. Smart phone batteries go dead, signal your buddies old-school way. :D

• Upvote 1

A coil of braided rope ... eye splice on one end ... end splice on the other. ;)