Convicted, registered predator attends Troop fundraiser

What I would do would depend on a few factors...

Is this a church fundraisers the scouts were working or was this advertised as a scout fundraiser? and was this person banned from scouting?

If person has been banned from scouting and this was advertised as a scouting function then I would let the person know that this is a scouting function and he needs to leave. If this was a church fundraiser and the scouts were just working it then there's nothing I could do but keep my eye out.

for example: Every lent our scouts work 2 of the weeks of friday fish-fry run by a local church. We help with tables and such and supply desserts for free-will donations. There it's advertised as a church function so unless been there before you wouldn't know scouts were there. Either way it's a church function and should be allowed to stay. On the other hand we've had scouts do spaghetti dinners for eagle fundraisers where it's advertised as an eagle scout project fundraiser so then the person would know it was a scout function and should be asked to leave

Sounds a bit like splitting hairs and trying to justify one's actions in legalistic terms. Being banned from scouting basically means they cannot be part of the program. Does this mean he can't show up for his grandson's EBOR? Technically it's not a "scout" function, it's a family function with scouts present.

And when the boys sell bake good in front of Walmart, how many pedophiles do they sell to that they don't know about that have been scoping out the boys all afternoon from the parking lot?

Just because one calls it one thing or another, how does it insure the "safety" of the boys either way. A rose by any other name is still a rose.

So now what happens if the COR is a church and the scouts are doing their troop's spaghetti dinner in the church basement. Does that give the scouts the right to throw someone out of the church?

Seems like everyone is getting so wrapped up in the minutia of the situation they have their shorts in knots.

It is my contention as a SM and as one who has worked with youth for 40+ years, one is always vigilant to any dangers surrounding the youth in their care whether they know there are unsavory people around or not.

Try on the scenario of a parent who is abusing their scout. Going to kick them around as well? If dad's doing it, then one ought to kick mom out too for letting it happen.

One can play these games forever and never resolve anything. Just do one's job as a scout leader and don't worry about the hundreds of boogie men hiding around all the trees out there. They are there. Just be careful as one should be anyway.

Stosh

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sorry Stosh, if I know someone is a registered sex offender and it is a youth event - scouts, school, sports, ... I would remove that person.   I'm not waiting for council to write him a letter.

99% of the people out there do not realize that on any given day they walk right by registered sex offenders, thieves, murderers and various felons of all sorts and don't even know it. It would seem

That isn't relevant. The people running the fundraiser can still refuse him admittance.

Anyone can be excluded for cause, signs aren't required. I haven't seen any place that has signs warning patrons to not tip over all the tables, but I suspect anywhere you go you'd be tossed out soon.

Merlyn and I inexplicably agree on an issue, which is probably one of the signs that were foretold. Next comes the Tribulation, and then the Lake of Fire.

• Upvote 1

If you're thinking in terms of rapture, that whole thing happened already back in 1996. But, on a lighter note, I have no evidence whatsoever that AZMike and Merlyn are not, in fact, the same person. Interesting, huh?

If you're thinking in terms of rapture' date=' that whole thing happened already back in 1996. But, on a lighter note, I have no evidence whatsoever that AZMike and Merlyn are not, in fact, the same person. Interesting, huh?[/quote'] ISP tracing would let you figure it out pretty quick.
If you're thinking in terms of rapture' date=' that whole thing happened already back in 1996. But, on a lighter note, I have no evidence whatsoever that AZMike and Merlyn are not, in fact, the same person. Interesting, huh?[/quote']

Merlyn & AZ MIke: The Seven Strange Coincidences.

1. "Merlyn" begins with an "M." "Mike" also begins with an "M."

2. Merlyn is an atheist. "Atheist" begins with an "A." "AZ," which is Mike's first name, also begins with an "A."

3. AZ Mike is a Catholic. There are eight letters in "Catholic." Merlyn is an atheist. There are eight letters in the word "attheist."

4. The word "atheist" is not usually capitalized in common parlance. AZ Mike lives in the capital of Arizona.

5. Atheists do not believe in God. AZ Mike believes in God, but does not believe in Dog. AZ Mike is dyslexic.

6. "Merlyn" is a variant spelling of the name of the Head Wizard of King Arthur's Court. Arthur was a Catholic. Merlin (the Wizard, not the poster on Scouter.Com) was a changeling whose father was apparently an incubus, but Merlin himself was a Unitarian or something.

7. As a Catholic, AZ Mike is neither a Darbyite nor a Montanist, and so is neither a Premillenialist nor a Postmillennialist, but is an Amillennnialist and reads the Book of Revelation through the exegetic lens of Typology, and thus rejects current fundamentalist doctrines requiring the Rapture to occur before the Second Coming. Merlyn is a long-time fan of the actress Kim Darby and once received a postcard from her from Montana.

Coincidence....or not? You be the judge.

• Upvote 1

I don't know about that, Sentinel, this guy is pretty cagey. No telling what level of spoofing he's capable of.

As for that 2nd coming, that already happened too, just before the rapture...we're all left behind. Plus...you've convinced me...no coincidence at all.

Edit to add: Almost forgot, Have a nice day!

I don't know about that, Sentinel, this guy is pretty cagey. No telling what level of spoofing he's capable of.

As for that 2nd coming, that already happened too, just before the rapture...we're all left behind. Plus...you've convinced me...no coincidence at all.

Edit to add: Almost forgot, Have a nice day!

Merlyn - They're on to us / me - RUN!!!

Watch, it guys. If these are one person, all this tangential banter becomes an ad homenem attack. As long as you're picking on two people, it's ad homini and although probably equally fallacious, no forum moderator ruled against it, yet.

From what I read in this post, this incident should be included and discussed in YP training. There is much that is uncomfortable about this story.

That's my $0.02,

Reporters don't get paid for writing comfortable stories where everyone takes everything for granted. :p This is fodder for a Venturer's ethical controversy. And actually very good for our older youth to mull over.

I would have a problem with it. He's scoping out targets while having a meal. Getting close to his next victim.

He would do better at the mall where no one knows him. Obvioiusly if he's a former scouter, being at a scout event increases his chances of being noticed, which it did.

Gotta love the "I know what other people are thinking" attitude. What am I thinking right now?

Stosh

I realize over the weekend I got no perspective on this. When I was in 5th grade me and another boy were molested by our PE coach. I never told but the word eventually got out. I think my Dad had a little talk with him and he left the school. A few years later he shows up as my High School Football coach. I can remember thinking "I can't believe this $H&!, guy is still around kids." Of course his Boss our old HS swim coach used to grab girls breasts and groins in class (a lot) for life saving demonstrations. So predators like to be where the kids are.

I found out as my mother was dying that my Dad was raped by a priest when he was an alter boy. He was always very bitter and cynical about religion and it really messed him up. These guys leave wreckage behind.

I know this is a sensitive subject with Scouters because of some bad actors in our history and many parents hold us a little suspect. Maybe we may veer too far in the area of protectiveness (I for one hesitate before hugging a youth for example) and probably a few adults have been falsely accused and even kicked out but given the gravity of our charge to protect our youth I'd rather lean toward protectiveness than to being totally fair with a known, convicted molester.

If his actions caused him to lose all associations with Scouting than so sad for him; what happened to the boys he messed with? Are they not living with the consequences as well. If he wanted to contribute he could have done so anonymously...

I too agreed with Merlyn and thought it was the 7th Seal tooLOL. The 1st was the Buccaneers winning the Super Bowl.

In this case, it's messed up because he abused a scout but is a "corporate wife" in te council. However, in general, the sexual crime lists are useless. We all want to know of a child predator moves in, and instead we get notified of everyone that urinated in public and pled out to indecent exposure and every guy who turned 18 and was reported to tr cops by their girlfriend's dad. It's a generally useless event.

• Upvote 1

I would report this person's actions to your council's CSE and your charter org's IH. Then tell either of them that you'd like to have a restraining order filed against this person, by either the council to keep him from Scouting events, or the CO to keep him from the CO's events (either way would work). If the person wants to contest the restraining order, then get the press involved. But you are not public, and have no need to accommodate this individual.