Convicted, registered predator attends Troop fundraiser

No, that's not the only thing you can do; you can also bar individuals for cause from attending pretty much any event you run, so if you know of any sexual predators or child molesters, you can bar them. You don't have to, but you can.

One can be callous and self-righteous as well. You don't have to, but you can.

Stosh

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sorry Stosh, if I know someone is a registered sex offender and it is a youth event - scouts, school, sports, ... I would remove that person.   I'm not waiting for council to write him a letter.

99% of the people out there do not realize that on any given day they walk right by registered sex offenders, thieves, murderers and various felons of all sorts and don't even know it. It would seem

"The only thing we can do is make our children aware and teach them to react when it happens and recognize what is going on before it happens."

No. We can be parents and protect our kids,particularly from the KNOWN bad guys. If we recognize them at a scout activity, we remove them. Just as we are vigilant on our school grounds, neighborhoods, sports fields, wherever kids are, so too with scouts.

Also at this scout event, it is not just scouts at risk here but all youth in attendance. Here's an example -- scout flea market fundraiser, Mom attends with her 6 yr boy who wanders away and is abducted.

http://hamptonroads.com/2013/11/sex-...ction-va-beach

Now imagine a similar scenario happens at another scout activity and afterward it is revealed that scout leaders were aware that sexual predator was present.

Another $0.02

Tried to post this yesterday, but received database errors...

All responsible parents teach our children things like not touching a hot stove. I bet with most folks that lesson is taught in multiple ways: 1) standing in front of a cold stove generally discussing home safety; 2) with the stove hot and the child in the kitchen learning to help with cooking; and, 3) with the stove hot and the child's hand reaching for the stove. Number three is going to include my taking positive action to stop my child from touching the stove.

Same with the bad guys out there in the world; there's the general discussion of bad guys and the precautions to take to avoid them; there's another when we learn the guy on the next block is a registered sex offender; and yet a third when said offender hangs out at the local playground or shows up for Scout fundraisers. Number three is going to include my taking positive action to protect my child from that person.

This seems like a fairly rational approach -- taking general precautions against unknown, unseen risk but taking specific actions when the risks are apparent.

All responsible parents teach our children things like not touching a hot stove. I bet with most folks that lesson is taught in multiple ways: 1) standing in front of a cold stove generally discussing home safety; 2) with the stove hot and the child in the kitchen learning to help with cooking; and, 3) with the stove hot and the child's hand reaching for the stove. Number three is going to include my taking positive action to stop my child from touching the stove.

Same with the bad guys out there in the world; there's the general discussion of bad guys and the precautions to take to avoid them; there's another when we learn the guy on the next block is a registered sex offender; and yet a third when said offender hangs out at the local playground or shows up for Scout fundraisers. Number three is going to include my taking positive action to protect my child from that person.

This seems like a fairly rational approach -- taking general precautions against unknown, unseen risk but taking specific actions when the risks are apparent.

This is why kids don't walk to school or ride their bikes. This is why they are made to be paranoid about every boogie man behind every tree. This is why mom's shackle their kids to the grocery cart. You can't talk to strangers, not even the nice lady in line ahead of you.

I raised my kids to be alert, aware and prepared. My one daughter is conceal carry. The other one, well, one just wouldn't do well to mess with her. She lives in Chicago and has adapted well.

Paranoia is not nor ever was part of their training curriculum.

Ever notice that parents who are afraid of dogs have children that are afraid of dogs? And parents who are not adventurous have kids that aren't adventurous? And parents who are socially shy have kids that are socially shy? And parents who are paranoid about every social evil in the world have kids that are paranoid as well?

As my daughter would have put it, taking general precautions against the unknown, unseen risk, but taking specific actions, like taking the safety off, when the risks are apparent. :) One doesn't need to go looking for trouble or making trouble for someone else, there's enough other trouble out there that one doesn't need to be making more.

I understand the concern, I just don't understand the overreaction.

Stosh