Issues & Politics

In answer to many requests, we established a separate forum for these topics. Those not interested can skip this forum instead of spending time reading unwanted messages to identify content.

2946 topics in this forum

• 1 reply
    • 1 reply
    • 1 reply
    • 1 reply
    • 1 reply
    • 1 reply
    • 1 reply
  1. Perry Book

• 1 reply
    • 1 reply
    • 1 reply
    • 1 reply
    • 1 reply
  2. Happy Birthday

• 1 reply
  3. What Makes a Hero...

• 1 reply
    • 1 reply
  • LATEST POSTS

• Well UK scouting holds a limit on the number of units which causes the waiting lists and I think provides certain quality control. I would agree to a degree, I mean I think there is something to the limiting the number of units geographically.
    • We have faced some of the same challenges During visits (AOLs were off with the scouts as we meet in the woods behind the church) our leadership discussed with the parents the various outings (gorge trip, boating, kayaking, backpacking, biking, etc);  youth led troop, servant leadership, Scouts camping away from leaders, etc etc.  As I watched the parents and listened to the few questions, my comment as we huddled after...they are not buying what we're selling.  They expect Cubs part 2 and we scare them.  Programming for 11 year olds means the youth likely leave in a year or 2.  Need to challenge and inspire.
    • Also not sure about this heading: Preparing Young People for Lives of Purpose and Impact Seems a bit vague and non definitive, more feel good than actionable.    
    • Wow, that is a capsule at best.  Guess they are being Thrifty with their output The 6% decline in Scouts (11-17) is way concerning.  As a result of that noted that Eagle Scouts are down from +/- 50K per year to under 30K per year. As was noted, we are now at 1939 membership levels.   Scouts in 1939 +/- 1,000,000 US population 1939 +/- 130,000,000 Scouts as % overall population - 0.76%   Scouts in 2024 +/- 1,000,000 US population 2024 +/- 330,000,000 Scouts as % overall population - 0.03%  
    • Waaay back when, all we cared about were counties and states.  With the later proliferation of Scout units, TPTB started dividing up the counties into Scout Districts, each with a DE to  oversee them, sign the Important Papers (remember that campfire skit? Still allowed?).  As paid Scouters and volunteer Scouters came and went,  (I worked in a government agency, and can attest to this ), they would often seek to "leave a heritage", and so would re-arrange the districts to "make things more efficient" or "more logical" or....    Since becoming an Adult Scouter, I can document living and Scouting in no fewer than 5 defined and named "districts".   I have the patches to prove the naming of at least three of these....  Same hikes, many of the same wonderful Scout friends, same campgrounds, seemingly the same Scouts, but when I pay attention, the faces do change. . Different faces, same dirty boots....   Sic Gloria Mundi. 
  • Who's Online (See full list)