National Annual Meeting NAM May 5-9, 2024 Orlanda

4 hours ago, scoutldr said:

We are in a high military concentration area.  While the Scouts were gathering on the parking lot for our weekly meeting one summer evening, a young man stopped in, saying he was a Eagle Scout in the Navy and wanted to get back to Scouting.  Seemed nice enough.  I tried contacting his home Council (Caddo) SE and never got a response to verify his creds.  I had given him an app and explained that he couldn't participate until the background checks were done and he had council approval.  Never saw him after that.  I will always wonder if we dodged a bullet, or did we miss an opportunity.

Yes might be the answer to both or either.  We had a similar incident or two where once it was made clear to someone they were not allowed to work until cleared, other than with other adults they disappeared.  Follow the rules and it works most of the time.  

• 4 weeks later...

So far this appears to be the only direct, unfiltered presentation to us from NAM 2024.

Thank you and Scout Salute to Scouter Selby (note Assistant Scoutmaster patch)

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Safeguarding Our Youth General Session presentation (46 min) with Glen Pounder whose job title Youth Protection Executive appears renamed and NEB member Frank Tsuru who also serves as Chair of the Youth Safeguarding Committee.

IMHO, presentation gets interesting starting at 19:00 when Mr. Tsuru talks about transparency and policy. Mr. Pounder continues and expands on that discussion.

Why NAM presentations can't be broadcast (live and archived) online to all of us remains a puzzle to me.  Better yet lets have a two-way dialog, maybe discuss pitfalls of perp profiling, the need for report tracking for both end-user and organizations...I am seeing some of the same failed solutions presented in a new tech suit. We have ideas and questions.

My $0.02.

Edited by RememberSchiff
add more cowbell
  • Thanks 1
11 hours ago, RememberSchiff said:

Why NAM presentations can't be broadcast (live and archived) online to all of us remains a puzzle to me. 

Considering National has all manner of training available on line, the obvious gap are NAM presentations.  Which just happen to be the most current National policy and therefore the most important to disseminate widely.

But Noooooo!  

“Truth, is the most precious thing we have. Economise it.”  --Mark Twain

• Upvote 2
On 6/1/2024 at 8:23 AM, Eagle1993 said:

Just one example of transparency.  UK Scout Association annual report attached. 

BSAs last report 2019 is here 

https://ar2019.scouting.org/

UK Scout Association has 3.7% youth and increasing vs Scouting USA has 1.2% and falling.

scouts-annual-report-2022-to-2023.pdf 6.44 MB · 7 downloads

Scouter - we will tell you what you need to know and when you need to know it....and be happy we are engaging with the peasant leaders at all

Signed

BSA National Leadership

• Sad 1
5 hours ago, Jameson76 said:

Scouter - we will tell you what you need to know and when you need to know it....and be happy we are engaging with the peasant leaders at all

Signed

BSA National Leadership

If we wanted you to have an opinion, we'd give you ours 😜 

• Upvote 1
25 minutes ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

If we wanted you to have an opinion, we'd give you ours 😜 

Didn't know whether to laugh or cry, so you get an upvote instead.