Catholics turn

@TuckahoeJoe   My friend is in a unit around Harrisburg but I don't know which one other than he said they are still going to recharter.   I wonder how much the increase is.     They look like that the insurance company definition of "promoting scouting"  meant "as long as you pay us"

@DeaconLance  I think you are absolutely right....easy to drop scouts using liability as an excuse.  Probably just looking for a way out.   Curious if you know how much the increase was and how much the additional cost is? 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Poppycock.  The legal system found BSA with it's huge insurance and property assets liable.  In the same context, the parents, police, schools and the rest of society covered up too.  The issue is leg

The sentence is misleading.  Inferring a general rule.  It is the far, far exception and the outlier that proves the rule.  BSA had millions of registered adults.   I've read many, many of the IVF fil

I don't know when and where you were a kid, but I can tell you from experience in multiple councils (6) in multiple states, beginning in the early 1960's, that in those councils abuse was not 'pretty

4 hours ago, RememberSchiff said:

The Catholic Diocese of Madison (Wisconsin) announced it will drop support of BSA at the end of 2024.

I'd bet that they'd be more than willing to sign off on any Eagle projects that would benefit the diocese or individual parishes.

4 minutes ago, NDW5332 said:

I'd bet that they'd be more than willing to sign off on any Eagle projects that would benefit the diocese or individual parishes.

Sure, but that has nothing to do with taking on the responsibility of owning a unit.

I'm disappointed with the drop in charters as well, but I'm not surprised. Independent of monetary liability the COs are realizing they're responsible and they don't have the resources to oversee a scout program. Most churches are losing members. They don't have volunteers to run their own programs much less a scout unit.

I'm hoping people quite a bit younger than I have the energy and ideas to make things whole again. Scouts is a great idea, it just needs a vision of how to work in the environment we find ourselves.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3
49 minutes ago, NDW5332 said:

I cannot blame them. BSA has lied to COs for a very long time about the recharter fees also covering the CO. Sadly we learned the truth in the court case.  

1 hour ago, MattR said:

I'm hoping people quite a bit younger than I have the energy and ideas to make things whole again. Scouts is a great idea, it just needs a vision of how to work in the environment we find ourselves.

@MattR , this fella at Jambo appears to agree with you.

Source:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CvFxJIMp81b/

Edited by RememberSchiff

While I am fairly sure that much was not shared with CO's , I also am aware that much of the confusion came from few taking note of the quiet insurance companies altering their fine print.  At one time the coverage was there, but over time many insurance companies modified much of their coverages, adding fine print that made minor changes that were not obvious to many, especially if faith had been put in them from prior history.  Carelessness in not paying attention still is not a good image, but I would suggest that was what it was.  Now, when it was discovered, we still need to wonder why the insurance companies were allowed to continue this, and if they insisted, we did not find other protections.  MOre than enough blame to go around, but my personal experience with the insurance industry is NOT postive in regard to their constantly finding ways to not pay, or to decrease the liability and then force someone to court, which many cannot afford>  Again, Just my observations.

Sigh, the lack of candor from the diocese dropping scouting is as bad as the lack of candor in BSA.  That lack of candor is a big part of why both organizations are in trouble.  

If it's because insurance costs too much say so.  If it's because you cannnot effectively monitor the programs because of a decline in your own membership, say so.

But to say it's because of reasons related to the bankruptcy, that's frankly disingenuous.  The bankruptcy happened.  The results are in, the slate for past acts is wiped clean --- that's the whole point of bankruptcy.  

Just be honest and upfront about why you're doing what you're doing; it's not hard. 

“If you abide in My word, you are My disciples, indeed and you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free” (John 8:31-32).

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2
18 hours ago, skeptic said:

While I am fairly sure that much was not shared with CO's , I also am aware that much of the confusion came from few taking note of the quiet insurance companies altering their fine print.  At one time the coverage was there, but over time many insurance companies modified much of their coverages, adding fine print that made minor changes that were not obvious to many, especially if faith had been put in them from prior history.  Carelessness in not paying attention still is not a good image, but I would suggest that was what it was.  

Possibly. How often does BSA give out information like that? How often has someone asked for information from the professionals, and they delayed, or wouldn't give the info out? How many times have professionals ignored and lied to volunteers? How many times have professionals not given out info that could directly affect a CO. And if coverage was there, then why are major COs like the UMC being asked to contribute to the claims?

And I can tell you the higher level pros lie to the lower lever pros from experience.

17 hours ago, T2Eagle said:

But to say it's because of reasons related to the bankruptcy, that's frankly disingenuous.  The bankruptcy happened.  The results are in, the slate for past acts is wiped clean --- that's the whole point of bankruptcy.  

Blaming the bankruptcy may be the polite way of saying why they do not want to be involved. And even clean slates sometimes have stains on them. Tell me BSA's insurance will not go up, even with a clean slate?

17 hours ago, T2Eagle said:

If it's because insurance costs too much say so.  If it's because you cannnot effectively monitor the programs because of a decline in your own membership, say so....

Just be honest and upfront about why you're doing what you're doing; it's not hard. 

Those may very  well be some of the additional reasons. But many COs, not just the various Catholic diocese, are no longer chartering BSA units, i.e. UMC Church, Elks, Baptists, etc, because of the bankruptcy. As we well know, a lot of information, some of which were hidden from volunteers, came out in the bankruptcy.

@Eagle94-A1Amen.  Sometimes I wonder if the scouting professionals take the same course as politicians.

@MattRContinue to flourish in spite of his Leadership? 🤨

Interesting that most of  the Diocese in this topic are from the Wisconsin and Illinois area.  Also wonder how many youth are affected?

3 hours ago, PACAN said:

@Eagle94-A1Amen.  Sometimes I wonder if the scouting professionals take the same course as politicians.

@MattRContinue to flourish in spite of his Leadership? 🤨

Interesting that most of  the Diocese in this topic are from the Wisconsin and Illinois area.  Also wonder how many youth are affected?

Wisconsin and the Illinois area are represented only because they are the most recent regions. This has been working its way through several regions over the past couple years. I think NY state and Massachusetts were a year or so ago if memory does not fail. 

How much credence do insurance companies even have today?

100%  credence

Are you will risk your house and future very time you take a group of kids camping?

look at your car rates?

try driving without it (please do not) and cause a an accident or just get stopped

john

• Upvote 2