Chapter 11 announced - Part 3 - BSA's Toggle Plan

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Forums work well in many ways, but it is probably not the best way to discuss the difficult feelings of this bankruptcy while also discussing the impact to child sex abuse survivors.  However, there a

The mental fallout from my abuse was mostly dormant prior to the current lawsuit. It would still torment me in idle moments. Or at night sometimes when I lay in bed trying not to blame myself after so

I would like to not lock the thread but we seem to be in a rut that we need to get out of before any progress can be made. Here are some observations that might help. First, human dignity is the

Posted Images

Thanks. This puts enormous pressure on Chubb. It can fight but I think the survivors' case against Chubb is strong. Chubb will eventually lose on the facts and the law if it fights. If she orders Chubb to produce the documents (and she must), it is game over for Chubb/Century. The documents it is refusing to produce will probably show that the PA Insurance Commissioner conditioned the INA/Century restructuring as mandating notice to its policyholder (BSA), that INA/Century is still on the hook (INA is still an active insurance company albeit a subsidiary of Chubb). Tis means all roads lead to Chubb. This is a very positive development. 

You can pay me now or you can pay me a LOT more later is the way I see it. 

• Upvote 1
16 minutes ago, Muttsy said:

He laid this out on his twitter feed with links to documents and news stories. It is worth checking out. 

Ok. I tried. Too much invective and ranting for me to wade in too deeply. I'll take you at your good word. As I've said, I think he's extremely smart and strategic. This prescience doesn't surprise me. 

Just joined this forum to say expect a huge wave of local council lawsuits in the upcoming weeks.  An internal email came across saying that all councils in New York state are about to get slammed with crippling numbers of litigation in the early summer right before the end of the state's CVA deadline.

Basically, if the BSA stays in bankruptcy, NY councils will have huge pressure to give up everything or lose everything to the settlement trust.  If the case ends up as a "cram down" these councils will face unprecedented numbers for their size.  If these councils did in fact prepare for this (should have started as soon as last year) they may enter Chapter 11 rather than liquidating through litigation.

Either way, New York camps aren't surviving.

Welcome to the forum. 

I can confirm from the survivors side that your intel is correct. Then NJ, NC and CA. 
Good to hear the LC’s are tuning in to reality. They have no good options. 

30 minutes ago, Muttsy said:

Welcome to the forum. 

I can confirm from the survivors side that your intel is correct. Then NJ, NC and CA. 
Good to hear the LC’s are tuning in to reality. They have no good options. 

I tried posting about some of these happenings on Reddit, but to this day many Scouters don’t want to hear the truth.  It’s going to come smack them in the face in just a few short months.

For gee whiz, I'll add another article. It provides the basic underlying understanding of CPTSD. The best book I've read on CPTSD was written by Pete Walker, a professional therapist who is also a survivor. It's titled, "Complex PTSD: From Surviving to Thriving." It's not an easy read, though. (I hope these posts are not considered off-topic. They could be very helpful for anyone interested in what lead to this Chapter 11, as well as provide insight into what we survivors live with, sometimes on a daily basis.)

https://cptsdfoundation.org/2019/09/03/what-is-complex-post-traumatic-stress-disorder-cptsd/

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/20556323-complex-ptsd

Welcome 100thEagleScout!  I also came over here from reddit and have found this to be an intelligent and informative group.  There is a little less "Wild-West" here, which after the past couple of years I truly appreciate.

• Upvote 1
28 minutes ago, Eagle1970 said:

I also came over here from reddit and have found this to be an intelligent and informative group.

Reddit exile here as well. There is no need to wallow in the negative about what is happening to BSA. But on the other hand, the mods of the largest BSA subreddit "over there" have all but removed ANY information about the bankruptcy, loss of camps and banned the people who posted about it.

Whereas the mods here are gentle, kind, tender, loving, and willing to at least allow the discussion.

And have I mentioned how amazingly awesome the totally great mods are here? :)

Edited by CynicalScouter
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

The latest on the Chubb document demands, or, how even lawyers (or their paralegals) can screw stuff up.

1) As you may recall, there's a huge push to try and figure out the relationship between Century, Chubb, INA, etc.

2) TCC and others first asked Chubb for documents, then issued a subpoena. Chubb and Century responded with...

3) we do and don't know what they responded with. Last night the TCC and others filed a letter asking for the judge to ORDER Chubb and Century to release/reveal certain things.

Here's the problem. The ORIGINAL posting to the court's docket and OMNI included as exhibits to the letter to the judge the Chubb and Century responses.

https://casedocs.omniagentsolutions.com/cmsvol2/pub_47373/6a3a77a4-56e8-4223-85e5-2f79660d2138_5057.pdf

Note that is now a broken link? Because someone, somewhere along the line, erred. Those exhibits were still considered confidential or privileged.

So, there's a (what I bet emergency) entry and removal of the document and replacement with

https://casedocs.omniagentsolutions.com/cmsvol2/pub_47373/6a3a77a4-56e8-4223-85e5-2f79660d2138_5057_A.pdf

Anyway, the point is that TCC and others want a court order for Chubb/Century to start producing docs. Now.

Century and Chubb have made it clear through their responses and attempts to meet and confer that theyare unwilling to produce non-public documents in response to the Movants’ requests absent on order from this Court compelling them to do so. The parties are at a clear impasse. By this letter, the Movants seek to formally place this dispute before the Court.

Edited by CynicalScouter
48 minutes ago, CynicalScouter said:

Reddit exile here as well... But on the other hand, the mods of the largest BSA subreddit "over there" have all but removed ANY information about the bankruptcy, loss of camps and banned the people who posted about it.

WOW!

How can anyone learn  about what is going on if they are editing and censuring it?

50 minutes ago, CynicalScouter said:

Whereas the mods here are gentle, kind, tender, loving, and willing to at least allow the discussion.

Agree, we got some good mods. they allow dissent, and only shut down things when things need to either cool down, or a new thread is needed.

• Upvote 3