17 hours ago, MattR said:

Tumbleweed? In Michigan? A few miles from Lake Michigan? And not much further from Huron? Half way to the UP?

I'll be honest, I used to live in Washington and they had lots of tumbleweeds - the type where a single one would fill a 96 gal garbage can and if you hit one on the highway it would just explode. And I had to explain to people that Eastern WA is not anything like the Western side. So, tumbleweeds in MI? Really?

https://loyoladunesrestoration.wordpress.com/2018/04/22/our-native-tumbleweed/

• Like 1
  • Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

@skepticand @CynicalScouter let's just drop it right now.  

They are not human shields, they are youth being served a high quality program. Please stop with the baiting of using comparisons. Victims on this site have stated that it is painful to see tho

Part of the problem, too, is that we are trying to create these country-club type experiences for people.  Swimming pools, air conditioning, hot showers and flush toilets, climbing towers, ATV program

Posted Images

27 minutes ago, David CO said:

I thought he didn't like snakes.

That was an inside joke between he and Spielberg, since he did Reptile Study.  His Scouting background is also part of why they made Indy a Life Scout like Harrison Ford was, rather than an Eagle like Spielberg.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, mrjohns2 said:

That would be awesome, but I assumed that was only done in ancient times. The current closest ferry is Milwaukee.   

I think you're right.  I am told that there had once been a ferry between Chicago and Whitehall, but that was many years ago.  1950's?

You would have to charter a private boat.  

I think we need to have a pirate ship.  Square-rigged and frigate-built.  Have the crew dress up.  Argh.  Shiver me timbers.

• 2 weeks later...

From Allegheny Highlands Council (AHC) which unanimously approved the sale of the Elk Lick Scout Reserve in Smethport, Pa. to fulfill their $900,000 required for the settlement.

“We are not voting tonight on giving away a piece of history, we are voting on whether we want to keep Scouting alive in the Allegheny Highlands Council,” Michael Kelley, AHC board president, told members in a newsletter sent Friday. “If things stay on course, the lawsuit may be coming to an end in the next 90 days — it is not yet a done deal, but when it is, we will need to be prepared to put our part of the settlement into action. A key component of the plan is 100 percent participation by the 252 local Councils; if any one of these Councils decides not to participate, the deal is dead, and so is scouting.

There were nearly 70 claims against Allegheny Highlands Council. "...the contribution from each council was determined by the Local Council Committee in consultation with the Torts Claimant Committee...the formula used to determine each council’s contribution included council assets, number of claims filed within each council and statute of limitations in the state in which the claims were filed."

https://www.observertoday.com/news/page-one/2021/10/boy-scouts-ok-sale-of-property/

2 hours ago, RememberSchiff said:

Michael Kelley, AHC board president, told members in a newsletter sent Friday. “If things stay on course, the lawsuit may be coming to an end in the next 90 days — it is not yet a done deal, but when it is, we will need to be prepared to put our part of the settlement into action. A key component of the plan is 100 percent participation by the 252 local Councils; if any one of these Councils decides not to participate, the deal is dead, and so is scouting.

I disagree with Mr. Kelly.  His viewpoint that scouting cannot survive without BSA is fairly typical for council guys, but I think he is mistaken.   I believe scouting will survive and thrive without BSA.   

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2
22 minutes ago, David CO said:

I disagree with Mr. Kelly.  His viewpoint that scouting cannot survive without BSA is fairly typical for council guys, but I think he is mistaken.   I believe scouting will survive and thrive without BSA.   

IMHO he is also misinformed.

If any one Council decides not to participate or fulfill their contribution to the Settlement Trust, then all Councils will not be given "protective party" status,  the "deal" can still proceed to vote.  @CynicalScouter please correct me if I am wrong, either way scouting will survive, as for Scouting and BSA ...

https://casedocs.omniagentsolutions.com/cmsvol2/pub_47373/23973daa-dbb2-40ff-b031-05f390ea1f6c_6443.pdf

page 79 "Entitlement to Become a Protected Party"

Heart of New England Council (Central Massachusetts) quickly sold their headquarters and scout shop building (or one of them after council merger) for $700,000. It had been listed at $799,000.  Quite a bargain for a prime property in view and directly off an exit of a major Boston commuter highway, Route 2.  I see a large Mobil Mart/Dunkins/McDonalds in its future.  The Council office was moved to Treasure Valley Scout Reservation in Rutland, MA

Mark Barbernitz, Scout executive and CEO of  Council, said the executive board is still discussing how to fill the final settlement amount, but that some of the funds from the sale would probably be used for it. ..

More at source

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/former-headquarters-for-local-boy-scout-council-in-lancaster-being-sold/ar-AAParcv

• Thanks 1
On 10/2/2021 at 12:29 PM, RememberSchiff said:

If any one Council decides not to participate or fulfill their contribution to the Settlement Trust, then all Councils will not be given "protective party" status,  the "deal" can still proceed to vote.  @CynicalScouter please correct me if I am wrong, either way scouting will survive, as for Scouting and BSA ..

As I read it all the LCs are obligated to do is hit the magic number of $500 million. An LC can drop out, they just won't be protected. And I see to recall that, all told, the LC commitments were in the around $519 million, so there's some "wiggle" there.

Edited by CynicalScouter
  • Thanks 1
16 minutes ago, RememberSchiff said:

Heart of New England Council (Central Massachusetts) quickly sold their headquarters and scout shop building (or one of them after council merger) for $700,000. It had been listed at $799,000.

JLL gave a fair market value of $635,000 when BSA was putting out its disclosure statement

Edited by CynicalScouter
  • Haha 1
4 minutes ago, CynicalScouter said:

JLL gave a fair market value of $635,000 when BSA was putting out its disclosure statement

What is nuts is given the market, I bet $635,000 may in fact have been accurate when it was done last year. Who knows.

We were told a few months back we would lose one, probably two camps, due to the lawsuit.  Over the next 3 weeks,  a series of town halls will be happening that go over the council's plan. I have my ideas which 2 camps will go, but will find out soon.

A lot of active volunteers have already said that if one camp particular camp goes, so does their support for council: no more FOS, attending council events or camps, purchasing advancement at the council store. In all honesty, because of the way the volunteers have been treated over the past few years, a lot of this is already being done. So I do not think the threats will make a significant impact.

Some folks take it further, they will even do their own recruiting, ignoring the council's directives to have a coordinated round up. Which in my part of the new district has been nonexistent for several years.

What is sad is that the particular camp has been neglected by the council for a very long time, and individual units and the OA chapters have been maintaining the camp. With the exception of one OA Ordeal over 10 years ago, the council really has not done anything for the camp since the 1980s. Here is the kicker. That 1 ordeal did so much to improve the camp, it began hosting major Cub events again. Not only was it used for district events and the council's largest Cub Family Camps held there (we had 3 during the year. Two averaged 200, this camp 600) , but also a neighboring council used it for events since it was closer to them than their camp. 

• Sad 1

With all the camps being sold during bankruptcy and before, this is a big thank you to all who helped maintain them over the years and donated money for them. 

The camps would not exist in the first place without donations of money or land by people who believed in scouting. Then often, especially in later  years maintenance was done by a dedicated group of volunteers who cared for the camp. They may have been scouts or parents attending a camp and decided to give back. 

At least many camps in my area did not have full time rangers after the mid 90's. So the role of volunteers increased greatly. They often donated supplies to repair things or got suppliers to give the camp really good deals in items. 

I think this is one of the overlooked things in bankruptcy that so many people put their heart and soul into these camps.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1