DRAFT: DE&I merit badge requirements

DIVERSITY, EQUITY, AND INCLUSION MERIT BADGE

Requirements
1 Before starting work on any other requirements for this merit badge, do the following:
a Discuss with your merit badge counselor the following terms and why they are important
(1) Diversity    (2) Equity    (3) Inclusion    (4) Bigotry (5) Intersectionality
b. Explain the term "upstander" to your merit badge counselor Discuss with your
counselor when it's important to be an upstander and not a bystander
2.    Discuss racism with your counselor including the four types of racism listed below For EACH type, give one example from personal experience or historical or current events. Tell how racism negatively affects people. Describe one action you can take in response to one of your examples
(1) Individual    (2) Interpersonal    (3) Institutional    (4) Systemic
3.    Discuss with your merit badge counselor how your unit can create the most welcoming environment for every person who wants to be involved with your unit. Tell what more your unit can do to ensure anyone can participate regardless of their ability, ethnicity, faith, financial background, gender Identity, race, or sexual orientation. Review the plan with your counselor and then discuss with your unit's leadership how you might implement your plan
4.    With your counselor's approval, choose an organization such as the World Organization of Scouting Movement (WOSM), that promotes positive change in society regarding diversity, equity, and inclusion Discuss with your counselor what this organization is doing to advance diversity, equity, and inclusion. Tell what impressed you about the organization and what it could do to further its cause.
5.    Develop a public presentation (such as a video, blog, slideshow, song, speech, digital presentation, or photo exhibit) about important and unique aspects of your community's efforts regarding diversity, equity, and inclusion. Address the challenges it faces. Share your presentation with your merit badge counselor or a group such as your patrol or class at school
Note: If you choose to post your presentation to the interne. you must first share it with your parent or guardian and counselor and get their permission.
6.    Identify an individual who has had a significant positive impact promoting diversity, equity, or inclusion Discuss with your merit badge counselor the person's challenges, methods, accomplishments, and contributions toward understanding and accepting diversity, equity, or inclusion.
7. With the approval of your parent or guardian and merit badge counselor, either attend an event in your area, such as a festival, cultural fair, concert, or play that celebrates and promotes diversity and inclusion, or learn about such an event that occurred
historically. Describe to your counselor the event, what you learned, and the impact it had on you.
8. Discuss stereotypes with your counselor and explain why every person is unique. Describe how generalizing people by identities such as ability, age, ethnicity, faith, financial background, gender, gender identity, race, or sexual orientation can be harmful. Tell how stereotypes can lead to prejudice and discrimination.
9. Think how diversity, equity, inclusion, and being an upstander relate to the Scout Oath and Law. Then do the following:
a.    Create a pledge that tells how you will not participate in bullying and how you will safely and respectfully act if you witness bigotry, bullying, discrimination, or hate. Share this pledge with your parent or guardian and your counselor. Commit yourself to the pledge.
b.    For EACH of the following scenarios, tell your counselor what you can do to be an upstander and not a bystander.
Scenario I: In the school cafeteria, a friend accidentally knocks over a bowl of food. The student next to her gets angry and yells a slur offensive to people with disabilities. Another friend at the table has a sibling with a disability, but everyone else just laughs and goes on with their meal.
Scenario 2: Your friend John confides in you that some of your peers in school are making insulting comments about his perceived sexual orientation. He tells you that a group of students created an imposter account to impersonate him online. Posing as
John and using his contact information, they start posting messages on the site.
Scenario 3: A new student in your class was born in another country and has immigrated to the United States. Your friends make racist comments to
the student, mock the student's speech, and tell the student to "go back home where you came from."
10. Discuss with your merit badge counselor a job that interests you and how someone with that job can incorporate diversity, equity, and inclusion into that work.

DEI merit badge part 1.jpg

DEI merit badge part 2.jpg

• Sad 2
  • Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One of the Scouting FB groups that had these requirements posted, took down the post and 153 (last time I looked) comments down and is asking folks to report anyone who does post them. Sounds Orw

Careful please. Don't mistake my views vs. those of others. As I said, I believe as a MBC I could work with this MB. I can also very much see/know/observe in the Reddit and Facebook groups and ev

Impossible.  ... We value making connections with our scouts.  To make connections, we talk.  Maybe a few can discuss this topic at the ideal concept level.  But most will bring their politics into it

Posted Images

This MB will be the least popular and last one to be earned for Eagle.  Lots of rubber stamps for those who just need this prior to 1 May.

It has repetitive requirements that could be halved and still get the points across.  Should eliminate American Cultures MB.

There is the obligatory "careers" requirement but where is the First Aid one like in every other MB?

Wish there was a "research the BSA's history on DEIBI" and tell how the BSA has been in the forefront of these items since it's founding.  Identify specific milestones.

JMHO

• Like 1

This seems like a trivial merit badge to earn.  Basically you do:

• talk about some stuff around DEI - can probably be done in 30 minutes
  • create and give a presentation - an hour maybe
  • attend a local event - an hour or two depending on the event.

In the grand scheme of things, this seems pretty simple.

7 minutes ago, ParkMan said:

This seems like a trivial merit badge to earn.  Basically you do:

• talk about some stuff around DEI - can probably be done in 30 minutes
  • create and give a presentation - an hour maybe
  • attend a local event - an hour or two depending on the event.

In the grand scheme of things, this seems pretty simple.

I do not think it is too hard, but that is OK.  the challenge will be how it is led.  If MB Counselors take a laissez faire or dismissive/negative tone while leading this, then it is not only a wasted opportunity, but could actually strengthen counter-DIE efforts.   

1 hour ago, Navybone said:

I do not think it is too hard, but that is OK.  the challenge will be how it is led.  If MB Counselors take a laissez faire or dismissive/negative tone while leading this, then it is not only a wasted opportunity, but could actually strengthen counter-DIE efforts.   

The badge will only be as good as the counselor. That applies to every MB ... especially the "bookwork" badges.

These draft requirements disappoint because the people who I would like to counsel my scouts to for them might not feel like the material is relatable.

13 minutes ago, qwazse said:

These draft requirements disappoint because the people who I would like to counsel my scouts to for them might not feel like the material is relatable.

Interesting.  How so, when you say not relatable?  

There is something I don't get here.  Please help me...

If a CO has the ability to not select (i.e., make a discrminating choice against) adult unit leaders based on their choice of gender identity or sexual orientation, won't this badge introduce confusion and mixed messages to the Scouts in that unit?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Also, how does this jive with the Scouter's Code of Conduct?

"6. I will not discuss or engage in any form of sexual conduct while engaged in Scouting activities. I will refer youth with questions regarding these topics to talk to their parents or spiritual advisor"

As a parent, I would not want anyone else talking to my kids about topics of sexual orientation and gender identity.  Our public schools don't even tread this ground... 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

As a parent, I would not want anyone else talking to my kids about topics of sexual orientation and gender identity.  Our public schools don't even tread this ground... 

I have been told that 2 units in my district will NOT have a counselor doing these discussions for the very reasons you cite. Instead they will be covered by the parents.

Edited by Eagle94-A1
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

I have been told that 2 units in my district will NOT have a counselor doing these discussions for the very reasons you cite. Instead they will be covered by the parents.

@Eagle94-A1 Right on...they should put in a blurb like that in Home Repairs MB:

"Either a parent or the merit badge counselor may supervise the Scout’s work on any Home Repairs requirements."

And Family Life "*This conversation may take place with only one or both of your parents or guardians."

• Like 1
4 hours ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

Also, how does this jive with the Scouter's Code of Conduct?

"6. I will not discuss or engage in any form of sexual conduct while engaged in Scouting activities. I will refer youth with questions regarding these topics to talk to their parents or spiritual advisor"

Which requirement includes discussing any form of sexual conduct or gender identity other than welcoming them or that generalizations or stereotypes are wrong?  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2