Lightweight Rain Jackets

I leave to staff a camp on Sunday and totally forgot I wanted to ask for recommendations for a new rain jacket. I currently have a lightweight Columbia one that I got a few years ago, and it doesn’t really protect me from the rain anymore. 

I’m trying to find a not too expensive lightweight one since I’m always carrying a backpack and on the move in the first year scout program. 

I carry one of the various plastic ponchos you can buy for less than $1.

Not going to find something lighter or cheaper.

My kids take a Frogg Togg top. Amazon has them listed at about 5-6 oz and for as cheap at $15.

The problem is breathing, sometimes the sweat can be worse than the rain. Cheap jackets tend not to breath, but I think Frogg Togg breaths pretty well. Even motorcyclist like them, which is a pretty good endorsement. I've not purchased Frogg Togg because they don't have a good reputation for durability. But durability has a cost. I personally use Eddie Bauer because they have different weights of breathable jackets and are more durable, but I they cost more. 

Barry

• Upvote 1

Choices:   Over the pack, large poncho is good for standing around in the rain.   I hiked with one , and concluded the sweat incurred while hiking with pack condensed on the inside of the poncho. It was almost like not wearing one.   Standing still,  not much problem. 

I have a gortex clone Marmot over the hip jacket that I like.   It breathes, and sheds water.   I will say, as it ages, the goretex Teflon stuff gets "dirty" and eventually passes liquid water.  Ventilated vinyl ? Coated nylon?   Gortex breathing fabric?  Helly Hansen foul weather gear?  When I rode my motorcycle regularly, I came to love the heavy duty absolutely rain and wind proof Helly Hansen rain suit I bought.  

Buy BIG, so it has room for breezes and even a sweater if it gets cool.  

I'll second the motion on the Marmot.  I have one I've been wearing for years.  I particularly like the zippers in the arm pits.  It doesn't shed as well as it used to but it's 10 years old now.

I also have a Columbia jacket.  It has somewhat better coverage but doesn't breath nearly as well.

Thanks for all replies. I would need 30 of those $1 rain ponchos, haha. They get all sweaty and sticky which is something I’m not trying to deal with.

I’ll spend up to $45, since I use it outside of scouting as well. I don’t want an over the pack since I have a waterproof camelbak backpack. 

Ive heard great things about Frogg Togg, and I’ll be looking into them.

1 minute ago, walk in the woods said:

I'll second the motion on the Marmot.  I have one I've been wearing for years.  I particularly like the zippers in the arm pits.  It doesn't shed as well as it used to but it's 10 years old now.

I also have a Columbia jacket.  It has somewhat better coverage but doesn't breath nearly as well.

I’ll look into Marmot, I know it’s a good brand.

I like my north face jacket I got it at TJ Max , for $47. It had a MSRP of $159. I’d try looking for deals. I love that jacker, it has a little bit of lining to keep you warm, but isn’t super heavy.

Good Luck at camp!

Frogg Toggs are nice, if you don't mind replacing them after every use.  They'll be fine if you just need to pull it out to use for a half hour, but expect to need a new set (especially the pants) after any extended use.

I keep a few sets scattered around my gear, in case I get caught without a real rain jacket, but it's no substitute for a real rain jacket. REI brand is decently priced and good quality.

1 minute ago, Pale Horse said:

Frogg Toggs are nice, if you don't mind replacing them after every use.  They'll be fine if you just need to pull it out to use for a half hour, but expect to need a new set (especially the pants) after any extended use.

I keep a few sets scattered around my gear, in case I get caught without a real rain jacket, but it's no substitute for a real rain jacket. REI brand is decently priced and good quality.

I think you're a little hard on the Frog Toggs....I've had them hold up well for extended outdoor excursions and they're still willing to be dried up and folded for next time.

An REI rain jacket is unquestionably more durable, but it's also many times the price of Frog Toggs.

For the "in case I get caught in the rain" problem, I just pack one of those flimsy plastic Wal-Mart ponchos that have a Rollback price of 97 cents. Now *that* is the solution that's only going to serve your for the half hour downpour!

12 minutes ago, mrkstvns said:

I think you're a little hard on the Frog Toggs....I've had them hold up well for extended outdoor excursions and they're still willing to be dried up and folded for next time.

An REI rain jacket is unquestionably more durable, but it's also many times the price of Frog Toggs.

For the "in case I get caught in the rain" problem, I just pack one of those flimsy plastic Wal-Mart ponchos that have a Rollback price of 97 cents. Now *that* is the solution that's only going to serve your for the half hour downpour!

Don't get me wrong, I love Frogg Toggs, for what they are; a semi-disposable rain suit. If you're careful, they can certainly last multiple uses, but I consider it a bonus if they do, and don't count on it. I know for a certainty that I'm going to blow out the crotch of the pants first use, and keep a roll of duct tape handy.

For the cost of 3 sets of Frogg Toggs, he could get a decent jacket from REI.  Over the course of a summer of teaching Scout skills at summer camp, I would put money on trashing 3+ sets of Frogg Toggs. 

https://www.rei.com/product/147952/rei-co-op-groundbreaker-rain-jacket-mens?CAWELAID=120217890006410178&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=30320805880&CATCI=aud-363396065244:pla-421048767589&cm_mmc=PLA_Google|404_1050517642|1479520008|none|5c4bf608-415d-43d0-ba21-0fad69121028|aud-363396065244:pla-421048767589&lsft=cm_mmc:PLA_Google_LIA|404_1050517642|1479520008|none|5c4bf608-415d-43d0-ba21-0fad69121028&kclid=5c4bf608-415d-43d0-ba21-0fad69121028&gclid=CjwKCAjw3azoBRAXEiwA-_64OpAZb43Z1oaRtD7RwdlwBDVBhjRWjQboGZn1bXVeiKtwxtf8AoDl_xoCJtMQAvD_BwE

1 minute ago, Pale Horse said:

Don't get me wrong, I love Frogg Toggs, for what they are; a semi-disposable rain suit. If you're careful, they can certainly last multiple uses, but I consider it a bonus if they do, and don't count on it. I know for a certainty that I'm going to blow out the crotch of the pants first use, and keep a roll of duct tape handy.

For the cost of 3 sets of Frogg Toggs, he could get a decent jacket from REI.  Over the course of a summer of teaching Scout skills at summer camp, I would put money on trashing 3+ sets of Frogg Toggs. 

https://www.rei.com/product/147952/rei-co-op-groundbreaker-rain-jacket-mens?CAWELAID=120217890006410178&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=30320805880&CATCI=aud-363396065244:pla-421048767589&cm_mmc=PLA_Google|404_1050517642|1479520008|none|5c4bf608-415d-43d0-ba21-0fad69121028|aud-363396065244:pla-421048767589&lsft=cm_mmc:PLA_Google_LIA|404_1050517642|1479520008|none|5c4bf608-415d-43d0-ba21-0fad69121028&kclid=5c4bf608-415d-43d0-ba21-0fad69121028&gclid=CjwKCAjw3azoBRAXEiwA-_64OpAZb43Z1oaRtD7RwdlwBDVBhjRWjQboGZn1bXVeiKtwxtf8AoDl_xoCJtMQAvD_BwE

Even if the REI one rips you could always call them and they’ll ship you a replacement free of charge

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, Pale Horse said:

I see where you're coming from.  Yeah, for a whole summer, it's probably wiser to just bite the bullet on up-front costs and go for a nice REI jacket.

1 hour ago, Pale Horse said:

Don't get me wrong, I love Frogg Toggs, for what they are; a semi-disposable rain suit. If you're careful, they can certainly last multiple uses

Interesting. My daughter now carries the hand-me-down from my son (full suit but they don't usually take the pants). No noticeable wear or tear on it. Perhaps older versions of this product were not as good?

The one they use is probably three years old and bought from the scout shop.